Review of Indy Magnoli Captain Jack Sparrow sword

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Capn_Jack_Savvy, May 17, 2012.

1. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

The doorbell just rang..........a DHL van was out front.................

Here is my review!

The sword itself was packed OK. There was a slight tear in the thin cardboard wrapping but it didn't seem to have any damage on the sword handle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upon inspection of the sword it definitely showed some flaws in the metal casting. The pommel was extremely pitted which probably means that their were either imperfections in the mold, air bubbles (?), or perhaps the cooling process occurred to quickly. Still it does add a little character to the sword considering that foundry techniques in the day would have probably turned up similar type imperfections in the metal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Handling the sword was a joy. It definitely has a nice weight to it. You feel like you are actually holding metal in your hand and not some plastic, resin, or smaller sized version (MR). The weathering on the blade, handle, and pommel are very well done. Definitely looks like the sword has see alot of sea time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sitting next to the Master Replica version you can see the size difference in the handle but not in the blade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The scabbard is definitely dark, dark, dark brown to almost off black. The construction is OK but not the greatest. Rivets were used in the binding of the leather at the top. The rivet at the top that prevents your scabbard from slipping through your baldric frog is made of plastic. There is also some scratches in the surface of the leather. I definitely will be making another scabbard for this sword that is more brown and has some curve to it. Not to mention the bend at the end. More to come on my scabbard build.

Here is my scabbard for the Master Replica with a much lighter weathered brown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as using the sword to actually stage some mock combat I am a little hesitant to do so mainly because striking this sword up against another sword will put some damage into the slicing edge. Although this blade is not sharpened I have a feeling that it may be not as strong as we may think it would be. I was wondering if perhaps Indy would offer the handle and pommel portion only so that we could replace the blade with something safer for Cons/Pirate Festivals OR replace the blade with airplane grade aluminum for mock battles.

All in all not a bad price for a fine piece of sword. I will most likely carry this version from now on and put the MR sword up on the display permanently.

Indy Magnoli likes this.
  2. Mojo_Turbo

Mojo_Turbo Well-Known Member

I am for keeping these all together. As always a GREAT product from Indy Magnoli.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did we say it came with a sheath? Oh yea!

[​IMG]

Compared with the plastic toy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Indy! I am one happy Pirate!

Indy Magnoli likes this.
  3. sparrowed

sparrowed Well-Known Member

This will be my first sword so I'm really looking forward to receiving it. From all the pics and the video that has been posted here on the RPF and elsewhere, it looks beautiful to me.

Now if I could only get my pistols from that guy from Oh Canada! :darnkids

4. Mojo_Turbo

1. sanded off black dye
    2. evened out color with WD40 (yea, you heard me)
    3. 3 coats of leather finish
    4. top coat of peanut oil

[​IMG]

5. Mojo_Turbo

[​IMG]

Charles, this is how my sheath turned out when I finished. The blade is still really black, I don't know if I should try to shine it up, or leave it be. What say you?

6. seven

seven Sr Member

great looking sword. Good job on the sheath Mojo_Turbo

7. Matt R

Matt R New Member

I have just taken delivery of my Magnoli JS sword. Quick shipping via DHL from Magnoli's manufacturer in Pakistan to the UK. Appearance is just as Mojo has shown in the images above. For me the black paint scaling on the blade was not the look I wanted so I have spent a little time taking the blade back to bare steel. I have also ground an edge onto the blade, nothing lethal but it takes away the flat, raw cut edge that had visible milling marks. I have also removed by filing all remaining traces of the threading on the tang nut. The blade is currently being aged in a solution of sea salt & bleach outside to encourage pitting & rusting. My scabbard was also nearly black so I have also rubbed this down & waxed it back to a nicely aged dark brown.
    As soon as I get the finished look I want, an aged and worn sword that has obviously been across the 7 seas....I will add images.

8. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

And I half expected it to be made of wood!

BornKilr likes this.
  9. Matt R

Matt R New Member

Some images of mine...now descaled...and a little more distressed...or 'traveled' perhaps? ;)
    Just trying to work out a way of either engraving or etching the 'swallow' emblem from the flag onto the top of the blade...photos again when done.
    cutlass 005.JPG :D

cutlass 007.JPG
    cutlass 003.JPG
    cutlass 009.JPG
    cutlass 004.JPG