Review: Hot Toys P1

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
I just got this delivered half an hour ago, and I am quite enjoy it for the most part, but there are a few problems as well. Pics will follow tonight...I'm @ work right now so this will be a written review first with pics to follow.

First lets look at the cost. $199 for a pre-painted, assembled and poseable figure is a lot of money, but considering how Hot Toys did such a good job on the Elder, I figured they would only get better with the P1. Now convert the funds to Canadian, add Customs fees, GST and taxes and the total cost is roughly just under $300. Thats a lot of hard earned money. For the most part the cost is worth it. Considering you can buy Predator kits that you have to assemble, AND paint for the same price, this is a pretty good deal.

Second, I LOVE the fact that I don't have to "dress" this one up like I did with the Elder...that was a pain in the ASS! I can take this out of the box and simply swap out the different hands and mandibles...THANK YOU HOT TOYS!!! I can't even begin to describe how much of a relief it is to not have to worry about breaking a part off trying to put parts together, pull the netting on, etc...pre-assembly is such a good thing!

Third - paint app is killer. I have NO complaints about the paint app at all. Compared to the Elder which had large goofy looking spots all over the body, this one has excellent spot patterns. The spots all over the body look the way they should - with one exception: the spots on the head don't fade out near the bottom. Not the black ones - they light brown ones. We saw this on the prototype, and I hoped they would fix it on the production ones, but they didn't. Its a minor detail, but it still bugs me. The mouth is a little too red for my liking, but the eyes and teeth are well done seeing as how its such a small figure and those usually get sloppy. The armor is well painted and especially the Bio - they weathered the recessed areas and it looks the way a Bio should. However, the Bios do not fit well at all. This is most likely due to the fact that they are seriously warped. You'll be able to see in the pics I post tonight.

I haven't had a chance to check out the poseablility...that will be later tonight. The dreads don't fall as nicely as I would like them too and they can't be adjusted. Maybe they will settle after being out of the box for a while.

I had two problems with mine - the bicep armor is upside down (which will require me to unglue it in order to reposition it), and the Bios are warped and misshapen around the jaw. Dedguy has already posted how he fixed his, and I will try to make the same adjustments to mine, but how the hell did this get past the production line??? And whoever put on the bicep armor must have been hung over working on a Friday....ok ok, its an easy thing to mess up if you aren't as familiar with the Predator as WE are, but still...this should have been caught before it got in the box.

Overall, this is a beautiful figure and a HUGE improvement over my Elder for the simple reason: I didn't have to "dress it up" and assemble the netting, armor, etc AND the painting of the spots looks the way a Predator should. Kudos to Hoy Toys for making a wicked figure.

Pics to follow later tonight...

Make sure your LEDs work. Mine has some issues like the plug being loose and not really connecting. Not really happy with it. ;)

Everything you've said it bang on correct, looking forward to pics etc.
I got really really lucky with mine. I got 3 and am very happy with the overall product.
I'm over in Ireland and lucky only cost me $200 each including shipping.
I customised 1 into Big Red and keep 1 with the bio on holding trophy and other in roaring pose.
Only 1 of the bios was warped as every1 points out so I display it in the little pool of water under the roaring P1, the other 2 bios were great and didn't need any modifications at all.

Picture1025__Desktop_Resolution_.jpg

Picture1003__Desktop_Resolution_.jpg

Ok lets get started. Lets talk about the problems first:

This is my major peeve - the Bios are both narrow in the jaw area. You can see how the plastic case shows where the Bio SHOULD be, but it clearly doesn't fill the mold like it should. It almost reminds me of the Mysteria Bio from the UK. Why would Hot Toys not see this as a flaw? I can't even get it to fit on the dam head. I'm going to try the hot water fix later tonight.
HTP11.jpg

HTP12.jpg

HTP13.jpg

Next - there is a scratch on the clear plastic on the medkit. No fix for this:
HTP14.jpg

HTP15.jpg

Third problem: the chest buckle strap was glued on at an angle which makes it look wonky. Can be fixed with glue, but sloppy on Hot Toys part:
HTP16.jpg

Fourth problem: they put the arm armor on upside down. Not a hard problem to fix, just shows slacking in the quality control.
HTP117.jpg

That covers the problems. Now for the good stuff. I like how they hid the batteries for the Bio LED's. Notice the switch on the side of the backpack:
HTP17.jpg

Detail on the face:
HTP18.jpg

Detail on the shredded leather:
HTP19.jpg

This really impressed me - just look at the spot pattern on the legs:
HTP110.jpg

Beautiful detail on the bone necklace and skulls:
HTP111.jpg

HTP116.jpg

Great looking canon...and yes hes missing the mandibles in the background:
HTP112.jpg

Detail on backpack:
HTP113.jpg

Detail on arm gauntlets:
HTP114.jpg

HTP115.jpg

HTP118.jpg

HTP119.jpg

Overall its a good figure, but Hot Toys could have done so much better had they simply made sure the Bio was the right shape.
HTP120.jpg

HTP121.jpg

HTP122.jpg

HTP11.jpg

HTP12.jpg

HTP13.jpg

HTP14.jpg

HTP15.jpg

HTP16.jpg

HTP117.jpg

HTP17.jpg

HTP18.jpg

HTP19.jpg

HTP110.jpg

HTP111.jpg

HTP116.jpg

HTP112.jpg

HTP113.jpg

HTP114.jpg

HTP115.jpg

HTP118.jpg

HTP119.jpg

HTP120.jpg

HTP121.jpg

HTP122.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back