Review: Full Spectrum Laser's "40W Hobby Laser" (LONG READ!)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Volpin, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Volpin

Volpin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Back in October of 2011, I participated in a contest over at Instructables.com for Halloween props. The grand prize was a 40W Hobby Laser from a company call Full Spectrum Laser. Since I got this thing, I've gotten lot of questions about it from other builders about the quality of work it does, and if its worth the $2400~ pricetag.

I haven't worked with laser cutters directly before this, though I have ordered some parts from Ponoko before. This machine isn't capable of the same resolution or cutting depth of those, but it has proven itself useful so far.

First, The Bad:

The machine was delivered in early December, and (thanks FedEx) left outside my house without so much as a knock at the door. It was also upside-down and spent its first night outside since I never had any indication of a delivery.

After unpacking it, I noticed there's a bit of a misnomer in the term "Desktop Laser Cutter" as a machine like this requires its own air compressor, water pump, and exhaust fan. I set about building it a cabinet/stand for it to live on. If you get a machine like this, be prepared for it to take up a bit of space.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Instructions for setting the machine up are fairly thorough, but woefully optimistic. There are a plethora of lines where the phrase "______ was carefully aligned at the factory, so further alignment will likely not be necessary" - These alignments were absolutely obliterated during shipping, as some of the ancillary hardware (like the water pump, compressor, etc) are simply placed into the cutting cabinet during shipping. These knocked the crap out of the laser mirrors, and as a result, nothing was aligned when I fired it up the first time.

The first test fire showed the mirrors that bounce the laser were very far off. This charred spot is where the stationary mirror missed the Y-axis mirror and the laser attempted to burn through the casing of the machine. It took me about 5-6 hours of work to get all the mirrors properly aligned.

[​IMG]

Other parts, such as the cutting head, were also bent very far off square during transit.

[​IMG]

In removing the cutting head to repair the damage of the bent mounting bracket, I also took apart the mirror casing to get a better idea of how the machine operates. Good thing I did, as there was a bunch of sticky-backed paper crud on the mirror which had been igniting as the laser came into the cutting head assembly. This was cleaned off with alcohol and a soft cloth, then re-assembled.

[​IMG]

Cutting head after repairs:

[​IMG]

The more I got into this thing, the more issues like this started popping up. There is a thin piece of metal that holds up the laser tube as well as the stationary mirror at the back of the machine. During shipping, this was also bent badly out of square.

[​IMG]

Further, the Y-axis movement was in no way limited by software or hardware. If given commands to cut a piece a mile long, the machine will simply drive the cutting head into the bottom aluminum frame until it has moved the motors the appropriate distance. There are nylon spacers here to prevent the collision of the cutting head with the frame, but they're about 3/8" too short.

[​IMG]

I fixed this by adding a few hose clamps to the rails:

[​IMG]

I was able to get the machine mechanically sound, then started it up for a test print. It got about 2 minutes into the cut, then refused to recognize commands any further. The problem was eventually traced to a bad USB driver board. I had a 3 week back and forth with FSLaser's customer service department, who informed me that since I won the laser cutter in a contest they did not endorse, they didn't owe me jack nothing, thank-you-very-much.

I got in touch with Instructables, who in turn went to their distributor, who went to bat for me. I got a pretty begrudged phone call from FSLaser informing me to send the board back to them and they would inspect it and issue a replacement if the board was bad. In their words "We've never had one of these stop working"

For reference, this was the condition of the protective covering plate that shields this board, when I removed it from the machine. This is 1/16" steel here, not tinfoil. I have no idea what could have caused a dent like this:

[​IMG]

And after I repaired it, how it should look (closest tan paint I had!)

[​IMG]

I waited 5 weeks for the replacement (which was supposed to show up in a matter of days) then emailed them asking what the delay was. I was told that "Phil was on vacation" and my order ticket had probably slipped through the cracks.

The board showed up 2 days later. It was a used board and showed signs of previous damage. Also, it wasn't the same board as I had sent in, and didn't fit the mounting holes in my machine, so I had to drill new ones.

Damage and scorch marks/melted spots on board components:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Surprisingly, the board worked when plugged up. I'm a little concerned as to exactly how long this will be functioning (as of now, two weeks) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The Good:

The machine works surprisingly well once you fix all the issues. Cutting acrylic seems to be best, but I've done engraving on MDF, Styrene and ABS with equally positive results. I suppose that's as good a review as I can give it. Once you fix it, the machine will function as intended. *slow clap*

1/8" acrylic. This was before I had gotten the belts tensioned just right on the X-axis control:
    [​IMG]

Engraving on 1/4" MDF. This was far higher resolution.
    [​IMG]

More acrylic:
    [​IMG]

Test patterns for an LED matrix. These are cut in ABS and thin PETG, finals will be thicker and bracketed in acrylic:
    [​IMG]

I'd say the best use of this thing is going to be for small accessory parts. The ability to do largescale stuff, cut thicker material, or do gentile curves just isn't there. I suppose that's where the "Hobby" namesake comes into play.

The software they include is twitchy and takes some getting used to, but capable and easy to get the hang of. They recommend some really arcane programs (and most of their troubleshooting is worthless. "Having a problem? Not using Corel Draw? Use Corel Draw.") but it will work equally well with Adobe applications as well. No Mac support, but that's understandable.

TL;DR RECAP: Their customer service is garbage and the product needs a competent builder in order to get it to function at all. If you don't have access to at least a moderate workshop in order to repair this thing, and if you're not comfortable with troubleshooting and repairing issues on the fly, look elsewhere. This isn't a "ready to run" piece, at least not the one I got, and you shouldn't expect to have it operational any earlier than at least a week after the box showing up at your door.

Even once its up and working, the machine makes 7 out of 10 results at best. I don't think it has the fidelity for real high end parts production, so if you're okay with a bit of a turnaround then I'd suggest you just keep ordering parts through places like Ponoko.

If you have $3k to spend, don't. Keep saving, double it, and buy something from a company like Epolig Zing 16. If this thing hadn't been free, I would have asked for my money back immediately after opening the box.

2. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

wow, pretty bad stuff there. great reveiw though.

3. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

Not sure if you're still following this thread at all but I figured I'd give it a shot. I've been looking at laser cutters pretty extensively for about a month now in order to buy one. One application would be for hobby and prop applications, but the other would be fairly extensive use by my SO for her architecture career. I've read quite a few horror stories (A lot about Full Spectrum on CNC Zone as you described) but also some good success stories about some of the Chinese models. The types I'm looking at are much larger and should be able to cut through 1/4" MDF without a problem, but I was curious as to how useful that would be. I guess I'm asking how much do you really rely on it? And should I use my money on something like a Firebolt Meteor first? (She won't need the laser cutter for another year or so anyway as she has one at school she can use.)

I can see advantages to cutting out pieces of props and fabric but I'm not sure exactly how much I would be using it and it dropping to a smaller machine might be a better idea. Right now I can't really afford one of the domestic models so unless I'm gifted one (A domestic one, not a Chinese one like you got [FSL is a distributor for a Chinese maker, it was probably damaged while being shipped from China, which is where most of the horror stories I read come from]) I don't think that route will really be open to me.

4. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sadly the domestic ones are REALLY expensive. You do get what you pay for though. :)

I have a Chinese one. Shipped to me from China and works fine. Not what I'd call a quality machine but gets the job done.

If you just want something to tinker with they're not bad.

5. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

I have an Epilog 2436 with a 75w laser. I generally avoid cutting 1/4" mdf very much as even with this power, it's a very slow process and it produces a lot of particle rich dust, enough to hurt the final focus lens if it's not kept really clean. I do it, I just don't like doing it very much.

6. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

Yeah the one we've been using used to cut MDF like butter. But with so many kids putting all kinds of weird stuff in it and breaking parts of it, the laser just burns the surface of the wood and makes a stinky smokey mess. And that's with cleaning the mirror twice a day. I think I'll try one of the Chinese models; I'm looking at an 80w 2x3 right now that looks pretty decent . At worst I'll have a really expensive new shelf to put stuff on that looks really cool and reminds me that I'm a moron

7. Michael Bergeron

I would argue that at worst you'll have a "fixer upper". With fine tuning and some work some of the Chinese units can work quite well.

8. Crimson13

Crimson13 Active Member

Sounds like something with vinyl was cut (a few times) cutting things with vinyl in it (ie pvc) releases pure chlorine gas. That's bad for you and the laser, etches the mirrors, corrodes the metal and messes with the motion control system.

Also a general tip for anyone don't cut ABS with a laser either, ABS emits cyanide when cut. (it also doesn't cut well, it melts more that cuts.)

9. Michael Bergeron

Good tips. Wasn't aware of either of those!

10. Crimson13

Crimson13 Active Member

I'm a member of a hackerspace (Pumping Station: One) and here's a section out of our wiki. It's based both on experience and what we've been told from Epilog.

NEVER CUT THESE MATERIALS

PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) : Also known as "vinyl" "pleather" "artificial leather." Emits pure chlorine gas when cut! Don't ever cut this material as it will ruin the optics, cause the metal of the machine to corrode, and ruin the motion control system.

Polycarbonate : Also known as "Lexan". Polycarbonate is also often found as flat, sheet material. The case cover window on the laser cutter is made of Polycarbonate because polycarbonate strongly absorbs infrared radiation! This is the frequency of light the laser cutter uses to cut materials, so it is very ineffective at cutting polycarbonate. Polycarbonate can also emit flame and chlorine gas when cut, making it a poor choice for laser cutting.

ABS : ABS does not cut well in a laser cutter. It tends to melt rather than vaporize, and has a higher chance of catching on fire and leaving behind melted gooey deposits on the vector cutting grid. It also does not engrave well (again, tends to melt). Finally, ABS emits cyanide when cut.

HDPE : "milk bottle" plastic. It melts. It gets gooey. It catches on fire. Don't use it.

PolyStyrene Foam : It catches fire, it melts, and only thin pieces cut. This is the #1 material that causes laser fires!!!

Fiberglass : It's a mix of two materials that cant' be cut. Glass (etch, no cut) and epoxy resin (fumes)

Coated Carbon Fiber: Again, it's a mix of two materials. Thin carbon fiber mat can be cut, with some fraying. However, once coated with epoxy it will emit noxious fumes.

11. Michael Bergeron

Noted and thank you! Learn something new every day. :)

12. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

Awesome advice! Thank you!

13. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

And Orange, thank you. I feel a lot more confident moving forward with this now. I'll be sure to throw up pictures of my adventure with my new toy when it arrives :)

14. Michael Bergeron

No problem. :)

What type of things are you hoping to make? Mine is primarily for rubber stamps for my paper props.

15. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

There are lots of times I find myself needing precise cuts of PETG, styrene, thin mdf, or fabric (cotton, polyester and the like) and things I either can't do by hand or can't do as well. Using CAD has been super easy to learn and there's a replica gun I've been working on that I just can't get to come out by hand. Not to mention the engraving aspect which I could think of hundreds of uses for! The machine I'm looking at also includes a rotary tool with it. I'm not sure what cylinder things I'd engrave with it but I'll find something!

16. Michael Bergeron

Cool. :)

Which one are you looking at?

17. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

http://static.mangahelpers.com/gallery-previews/11303.jpg This one. It wouldn't be so bad if I weren't insistent on it having lights and moving parts. But the paneling on the side of the grip I can't get good enough by hand and need to laser cut it in addition to the front of the grip, the triggers, and lots of other small parts of the gun. I've got all the CAD files ready to go, just need a cutter that works now because the public one we were using died.

18. Michael Bergeron

It's awesome... But I meant which Laser are you looking at. ;)

19. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

I've been looking at this one by Redsail for a while: C150. The issue is I can't tell why it's so cheap for such a large machine. I'm assuming it can't support additions like a raising and lowering platform or positioning laser, but those things are pretty rudimentary so I can't be sure that's why. Again lots of red flags.

24x36" Laser Engraver Cutter Machine JCUT-6090 - China Laser Engraver Machine,Laser Cutter Machine is the other. It's a bit more expensive for the 80w and it's smaller than the C150, but comes with more feature offers. Main issue is price and having to pay for USB capability

20. Michael Bergeron

Interesting. I'm willing to bet the C150 doesn't have any of the additions you mentioned. Didn't see a price on the second link, what are we talking?

21. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

I was quoted $4500 base for the 80w

22. Michael Bergeron

Pretty good price considering what it does. :thumbsup

23. Hfuy

Hfuy Active Member

Well, you won't be able to cut materials that don't absorb the laser energy, will you?

Polycarbonate may be a bad idea for many reasons, but the fact that it absorbs the laser is not one of them.

24. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

Yeah I'd rather spend more and get what I want than cheap out and not have all the tools I need but a huge area. Thanks :)

25. dscaggs

dscaggs New Member

I know this is almost a year old, but to Full Spectrum's defense, they have the new 5th Generation 'Hobby' and it seems to be a major upgrade. Even from a packing standpoint. They still send the other accessories in the workspace, but they have a custom built foam to hold everything in it's place.

Their output software 'RetinaEngrave 3D' has a ton of new features, and a lot of the bugs worked out.

They seem to be getting on the right track.

That's one man's opinion.

26. Volpin

Definitely worth a bump here after I've lived with this machine for a while.

I haven't had any further need to call or work with the guys at FSL since my one interaction in getting the machine up and running. The replacement board has continued to function and I've done a lot of work with this machine over the past year and a half.

UPGRADES:
    I sealed off a lot of the main body of the machine - specifically the gaps in the doors and casing at the rear over the laser tube. This door is almost never opened and I wanted a more sealed body to keep fumes at bay. I also added a "bilge" fan at the far end of the exhaust hose which acts in tandem with the exhaust fan and pulls fumes out instead of just pushing. This has reduced gas escaping to almost zero and running the machine no longer requires me to wear my respirator inside. I highly suggest anyone with one of these to add a second fan and seal over casing gaps. The difference is dramatic.

The software and firmware updates FSL has come out with lately have been game changers. Connection issues are no longer a problem, the machine cuts gentile curves without jagged geometric edges and overall the entire thing seems like a different beast now. The fidelity is massively improved and the new software no longer feels like something that came off a floppy disc. Bravo.

OVERALL:
    Machine has been reliable, consistent and performs as well today as when I finally got it up and running in the first place. While the initial teething period sucked pretty hardcore, this has been a reliable and welcome addition to my tools and I rely on it a lot in my builds these days. I can't speak to the new machine that FSL has come out with, but if the new software is any indication, it might be worth a look.

27. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Congratulations on the win, and getting the thing working. Thanks for the good advice regarding Full Spectrum. I was looking at one of these a while back and was wondering about customer service. Apparently there is little.

Would you be able to post a couple of pics on how this cuts styrene?

TazMan2000

28. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

I too was/am considering FSLaser.com for their 5th gen..

I stumbled upon this thread a week or so ago.. and was turned off by your comments/review.

I do understand this review was some time ago though.. and since last week I have read/heard many satisfied customers & good things about the hardware & software..

Im hoping the 5th gen is a good investment!

29. Volpin

Thicker styrene can be a bit tricky. Mostly I like cutting the .040" stuff. The .060" and thicker tends to be a bit more jagged.

Here's some examples with the old software. The newer versions make curves much cleaner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Bec Weir

Bec Weir New Member

Google is a wonderful search tool.

Nice to read your thread and glad you have gotten use from your 4th Generation FSE Hobby Laser.

I bought one back in September 2011. It didn't work.
    the Motor Control cards (two of them) were faulty and the Retina Engrave card (USB interface cards) (Two of them) were faulty.
    It took me near six months of back and forth phone calls and emails before Full Spectrum gave up and sent me a new machine, which did not work.

So their story of the card not working was a bit of a fib, as I had two not work, only months before yours was found to be faulty....

Months of trial and error and replacing parts and the use of an Electronics Engineer friend finally got the second machine running, although slowly and at low power.

In both machines parts arrived in a broken or damaged state, screws were threaded or too short to do their job. The power supply in the second machine was faulty, and was replaced with the one from the first machine.

The help I got at first from FSE was great, until things continued to go wrong and I sought assistance from the CNC Forums (where I post under my name as above), then things turned nasty.

The Retina Engrave software is great in my opinion, but the customer service from FSE Engineering is pitiful, especially from the owner, Dr Henry Liu.

I have since bought a wonderful 1200x900mm bedded 100w RECI laser from Jinan China Nice Cut and it has been nothing but a pleasure to use, straight from the (very, very large box). I wish I had saved myself nearly 12 months of heartache and bought the Chinese machine instead of the FSE heap of junk.

Oh, the FSE 4th Gen. Deluxe Hobby laser is now used as a lovely (and expensive) bed for my cat.....

31. Philly

Philly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The chinese machines are just as good, I'm pretty sure the FSE are the same machines with a couple of upgrades. It's not worth the trouble of buying from them. Bec, I saw your post on CNCzone.

32. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

Arent all the parts and assembly for FSE laser done in the USA? (so.. -not- the same as the other chinese brands?)

not saying one is better than the other.. but to me that doesnt say 'same as chinese machines'...

Also.. Im wondering how much of this 'still' applies..

2011 is quite some time.. maybe kinks have been worked out? better quality? more R&D on their machines?

Also.. how much can be attributed to shipping damage?

Id like to see/know of some links that offer 'similar' machines for the same price?

40-45w
    21x12 cutting area
    removable floor

etc..

Id like to compare.. and if something better is out there... maybe Id go with that instead of the 5th gen FSE laser Im thinking about.

thanks!

33. Philly

34. Bec Weir

Bec Weir New Member

Yeah, I wouldn't touch FSE. Ever.

The majority of the FSE machines are of Chinese manufacture and rebranded. They do have an Americian designed Retina Engrave card and program (which is really quite good, when it works, and if you don't mind working in inches, instead of metric, like the rest of the world).

My First Deluxe Hobby laser from FSE came directly from China. It never worked.
    My second FSE Deluxe Hobby Laser came from FSE in las Vegas, Nevada and "was PERSONALLY checked by Dr Henry Liu PhD". Yeah, that didn't work either and had a faulty Motor Control card, Retina Engrave Card and a blown Power Supply Unit.

Oh, and screws missing or threadded, a laser tube that didn't work and a lens that had a burn mark on it from the hot glue they use everywhere to secure bolts and screws.

Buy a nice chinese machine from Nice Cut or Gwieke, deal with the few limitations of LaserCut 5.3 and save yourself the hassles of buying from Full Spectrum lasers.

35. Philly

I second Gweike.

36. LAMARTEK

LAMARTEK New Member

What did you buy? from whom? are you happy with the results?

37. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

cleaning LENS & mirrors after/before use is good advice..

especially when you cut (burn) stuff that has smoke or gives off debris.. this will dirty your lens.. runnign it again WITHOUT cleaning will bake/cake the residue on there.. eventually leading to a cracked/melted/worthless lens..

38. TCSloan

TCSloan Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I thought I might drag this thread up again in case anyone else might be considering one. Ive has my 5th Gen for over a year now, and after having many troubles with it, I wish I had gone elsewhere. Heres why..
    1 week after I received it, it quit cutting..no function of the laser period..after talking with the tech, he told me to send back the control module,which is the brain and power source.
    Had to pay for return shipping + a $10 handling fee..nice huh.
    got it back, or a new one rather..and it worked about 6 months..until the week before Christmas...lots of late shoppers placing orders..then wammy, laser quits cutting again..
    this time they tell me its my laser tube..(though it hadnt been used enough to come close to the estimated 1500 hour life span) ,but since it was more than 6 months since I purchased it, it wasnt covered..so $330 for a new one.
    After receiving and installing the new one, it worked for less than a week.
    After talking with the tech ,he happened to mention the laser beam in the tube should glow purple..its never been purple! since I purchased it. apparently somethings been wrong since day 1 but I never knew it.
    so, I had to send back the new tube AND the control module..another $30 down the toilet for shipping.
    A week later they said theyre sending me a new tube and the control module(said I had a bad tube,which never happened before) ...but I had to pay return shipping of $15 + a $10 handling fee for the control module...hmmm
    Fast forward 1 month! Laser stopped working again..this time it stopped in the middle of a cut..laser tube barely firing..was told to send them the control module...again! another $15 to ship it back...something tells me Im going to have to pay them another $25 to have it sent back..as of today, havent heard back from them as to IF that was the problem.

39. TCSloan

of course..just received a bill for another $25 to have it shipped back... as often as Im having to pay shipping for worthless parts I might as well buy a new laser.

40. Spyhunter2k

Spyhunter2k Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A bit of a necro-bust, but I thought the above post was suspicious. He joins the forum and his first post is to praise a company whose customer service was revealed to be abysmal? Then doesn't post again? Could dscaggs possibly be Doug Scaggs, listed on his Linked-in account as the Creative Marketing Director of Full Spectrum at the time his post was made? If you're going to shill, at least pick a more creative user name under which to do it.

Volpin, glad it's been working for you.

41. TCSloan

Hes probably the one who moderates the Full Spectrum forum and Facebook page too. Each forum post has to be "approved" before its posted, which usually takes about a week. But if anything at all is negative,then that post never gets approved..same goes for their FB page..it gets deleted rather quickly.

42. Philly

Ever thought of building one? I'm building another one at the moment :)

43. TCSloan

yes, lately I have been. need a bigger one.but first,need too find a source for good parts

44. TCSloan

just got off the phone with Joe, dont know who Joe is,but he said he was the man in charge.. but also said that after looking at the power supply that was just replaced in January, its failure was my fault because it was way too dirty...it being not even 2 months old! hmmm, after reading many complaints from others around the net, many of them say the owner ends up blaming them for the failure of their components. In the end of the conversation..after my blood pressure was boiling, he did say he would go ahead and waive the shipping charge.

Philly likes this.
  45. Philly

Good job.

I'm building a 900x600 at the moment and should be finished in a few weeks, have been putting the CNC through its paces making the aluminium brackets :D FSL have never been good and I doubt they ever will be.

46. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

I have my 5th gen.. and it seems to work GREAT!

none of the BS mentioned here...

I will say that the extra 1.5" lens was forgotten when everything else shipped.. but a quick email and it came right away (no shipping fees)

I have had several questions too.. all answered fairly quickly as well..

Software seems legit... and no connection problems or whatever else people have claimed to have.

A friend of mine also has an FS Laser (bigger/Pro modle though) and hasnt had any problems either..

Shipping and packaging was fine too.

One of the only problems "I" have found with FS Laser is their forums/moderation.. (pretty much a wasteland for getting help/questions answered).. but a direct email seems to have worked out anyways..

Maybe they are getting better? maybe some just have bad (or good?) luck...

But mine seems to work fine so far.. although I havent really done much with it.. or pushed it hard.

For the price... it just cant be beat.

And if you import direct.. you dont get the software (which IMHO is nice to have since you can print from anythigng directly to your laser).. so its a trade off.. if your comfortable with importing direct and DIY'ing your laser.. go for it...

For me though. I wanted a working 'tool' to use on projects.. not habe the laser BE the project.

47. Raybird

Raybird New Member

Wondered if you've resolved issues with your FS machine that keep cropping up? I've looked at them lately but noticed quiet a bit of activity in the court room with them. I still read of a lot of mixed opinions on support and machines. Reads like they got their act together though?

48. TCSloan

they did get the part fixed again, though its starting to act cooky now. It'll return to home on its own, or move to top left when I didnt tell it too. I wouldnt say their act is together..they just keeping putting band aids on wounds that need stitches

49. TCSloan

welp..here I am again..3 months later and again I have to send the power supply back for repair. :wacko

50. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Sounds like these guys are nothing more than a bunch of rip off artists. It's bad when the cheaply made chinese models get worse once they're rebranded in the US.