Revell At-At WIP... finishing up!

Yep, that is the one

And that snowspeeder is almost the exact size of the Bandai 1/144 Snowspeeders
So per your comment before this could be a pretty good size comparison between Speeder and AT-AT. If there is a compromise to be made I think this is a pretty good one. Looks reasonable to me.

Use a larger one and just claim it's a Texan Snow Speeder. :lol:

Not Analyzer of course but I do know the kit you are talking about. I have two of them. It was the Return of the Jedi MPC kit. Here are pictures for scale to a piece of paper. Snow Speeder seems too small per the foot picture above but about right for he head shot. Seems I have misplaced one of the speeders. :unsure:
View attachment 1449875

View attachment 1449877

View attachment 1449876

Interesting mpc have those same ugly feet as the Revell and some of the same head issues, although the head is far closer.
Almost seems Revell used the MPC for a basis.

And the MPC kit has the detail on the front of the legs I think you are referring to.

The kit seems better overall concerning accuracy. I feel its a detail I need to correct.

You're seeing incorrectly ... due to the speeder being in full flight the red markings on top are blurred considerably ... here's the video I used for those pictures :

Chaïm

I thought it was all red so thanks for confirming :)

Cheers,
Josh

Yeah, I noticed the lack of foot detail as well. Your method of correcting it is very much appreciated. As for MPC detail, it might be closer but there are still quite a few detailing opportunities available on the kit. Some of them I had forgotten about. Your attention to those missing on the Revell kit head and feet have nudged me to make note of them again. Also thinking on a better way to articulate the head and eliminate the lame rubber band. Will be a fun project!

Yeah, I noticed the lack of foot detail as well. Your method of correcting it is very much appreciated. As for MPC detail, it might be closer but there are still quite a few detailing opportunities available on the kit. Some of them I had forgotten about. Your attention to those missing on the Revell kit head and feet have nudged me to make note of them again. Also thinking on a better way to articulate the head and eliminate the lame rubber band. Will be a fun project!

Thanks Hagoth.
To be honest Im surprised how much fun this has been. The journey so far has been much more meticulous than I anticipated but Im doing new things and pushing skill sets and problem solving and the back and forth with you guys here on the forum has been great.

If my way of correcting the feet works for you I am glad it helped someone else... was a bit of a shot in the dark I must say but has worked out reasonably well.

The rubber band... it was a great idea and worked exceptionally well. It's just the eventual deterioration and it falls to pieces. Atleast then you end up with a droopy head like the real model in the pics on the modeller magic webpage.
Seriously though it will be good to see your solution and it will help those in future builds.

Cheers,
Josh

Oh wow! I remember supplying Tony the images for the chin gun. And it was fantastic the way he translate it into 3D. Now I need to take mine out again from the shelf. And finish this bad boy. Great work Starks. Keep it up.

Lots of really good ideas and techniques here. That's one of the things I love about this community is all the different ways to doing things that get shared and all the different sources for little details to make things more interesting.

Oh wow! I remember supplying Tony the images for the chin gun. And it was fantastic the way he translate it into 3D. Now I need to take mine out again from the shelf. And finish this bad boy. Great work Starks. Keep it up.

Thanks! Your blog was actually my inspiration to work on making this kit more accurate and lead me to Baloos blueprints.
I don't have the skill set or probably the patience to go as far as your At-At but I have to say it is truly remarkable craftsmanship. I wondered if it was ever completed but definitely look foward to seeing your completion!
Cheers,
Josh

Just an update on the head. Seems I have the armored fins that cover the guns along the base of the head angled in too far and will have to correct this. Otherwise things are coming along ok.
I sanded and fitted the floor of the Revell head to my head as I wanted to retain the fittings for the neck. this also brings the neck in much tighter to the back of the head as seen on the studio model. The underside of the Revell head is not perfect but it is similar and if anyone ever looks under there they will see detail. I had to extend the back of the floor as it was a little shorter. On the back of the head I made a mistake with the assembly by not playing attention to the reference pictures and you will notice the rear wall should completely step in while I have a strip either side flush with the back of the head. I don't wish to completely re address this now so it will stay as is apart from I will add some detail. Building this head is really pushing my skill set as I have never scratch built anything to this level before, it is enjoyable but also a little tiring. hopefully the results are not too bad.
Anyway to some pics.
JDBG8hI.jpg

o7Cl7Ii.jpg

OmzKbjr.jpg

rUPtLQT.jpg

dzq7YX5.jpg

cheers,
Josh

Hi everyone, updating the work to the head.
Added a few more detail pieces, stripped off the lower armor plates, made new ones and reset at the correct angle, put some more detail around the back and re primed. Still guns to sort out but otherwise feeling ready to move onto the body now.
Here's the pics with the studio pics for reference. Much better than the Revell offering.
Cheers,
Josh

4OOv9uc.jpg

RL82eoy.jpg

73x9vtQ.jpg

6xt3ncS.jpg

sIVRiPY.jpg

KIOfEwR.jpg

pDuiPAK.jpg

Yy4b9s8.jpg

NtYHoms.jpg

Nice! What colour will You choose?
I will paint it as per the studio model in ESB although I am yet to research the best choice for that colour.

Must say though, would be really cool to do one of these in black with imperial insignia's on the side.
Cheers,
Josh

I will paint it as per the studio model in ESB although I am yet to research the best choice for that colour.

Must say though, would be really cool to do one of these in black with imperial insignia's on the side.
Cheers,
Josh
Depending on what paint brand you prefer

Tamiya XF-19 straight out of the bottle for the overall base color over black primer. Possibly mix in or mist a bit of Tamiya XF-20 in for some alternate colored panels or other areas

or if you like Vallejo
Vallejo 989 Sky Grey as the main overall base with Vallejo 987 Medium Grey mixed for some areas

Archive X Enamels or they now have Acrylics as well (not sure what color though, Concrete maybe?)

Army Painter has also released Star Wars specific paint sets These paints are very similar to Vallejo in quality and use

I have picked up the core set and the Rebel set, but the Imperial set has a color called Imperial Walker Grey

026460298946_big.jpg

Looking might fine here. "We're not a Revell kit anymore!"

Black one with Imperial markings would look awesome! You are going to have to do another one now. :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back