Revell At-At WIP... finishing up!

a couple of interesting things for this evening.
FIrst of all I found a picture of one of the cheek gun part that was auctioned off. Obviously broken and read as being from the larger walker. But allows some good insight into the detail on the Flakvierling retainers
QUNubB3.jpg

The second thing is this little guy, our hero Wedge who is about to wrap this menacing walker up. I painted this as closely to the studio model as I could. This kit was quite fiddly and had a couple of quite severe manufacturing issues but has made a really nice little model in the end and was well worth the effort.
I painted her in XF-19 as Ananlyzer suggested was the correct colour and in screenshots it looks bang on. The grey feels really dark until you get the other colours on there to break it. We don't need any decals! so the stripes I hand painted on then chipped with some balled up pilllow stuffing. I did use the couple of smaller detail decals. Finally attacked everything with some Abteilung 502 railroad weathering powders.
I hope you guys enjoy. Next step is to paint the walker.

Cheers,
Josh

ey30DFE.jpg

Kg4owkT.jpg

3j7otYI.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work and lots of amazing progress!

I think you nailed it. You are right about how it feels to grey, but once you get everything else on it looks right. Also it is very deceiving how white it can look until you actually stick it next to pure white
For my speeders I mixed some white in with the XF-19 as it I liked them to be a little lighter even thought it was less accurate. But to be studio accurate, I believe the AT-AT (and st least the ESB AT-ST) and the speeders are the same base color. XF-19 is the best match I had found (not counting Archive-X but those were not available when I was originally figuring out colors).
I got the XF-19 tip from Jason Eaton as he mentioned using it as the base color for the MR master I think

So basically use the same XF-19 for the walker

P-fGePKTA78vHMOLza5_-PWHcO2dWgb9y5RJL3KBSxezNv_4kg.jpg

jb_atat.jpg

I was "off the grid" for a bit since I drove a friend of my wife's across country. 4 day drive from Philadelphia area to Sedona Arizona. We parted ways there, I rented a car and went to the grand canyon for a couple of days them flew home yesterday

Unfortunately I just found page after page of people not wanting to share their information with others. Forgive me but I just don't understand it. Whatever I learn I have no issues sharing to help someone else, no Ego to get in the way. It's building a model ffs but people keep all this information in a proverbial ball and sit in the corner with it like Gollum with the one ring repeating 'my precious'.
Sorry that's my rant. I'm not looking to start an argument with anyone that disagrees with my feelings.
I'm going to share what I learn here as reference for others to obtain or atleast have clear reference of the part to make or design their own pieces. Like the side gun assembly. Everyone has been fantastic but a clear reference of what those parts were would have helped.
Anyone who wants to share you're more than welcome to do it here.
such a great image for that

I always found it maddening. I love sharing whatever I can as well as getting clarifications, corrections, and new info from whoever is willing

The only reason I can kind of see for that behaviour is in some cases it causes the price of already rare donor kits to skyrocket even more. In addition, I believe some of the rarer ref pics or knowledge had been bought and once money enters into the picture we all know what happens...

But in general many of the studio scale "cabals" can be very closed and cliquey and pretty intolerant of beginners asking seemingly innocent questions.

I remember being publicly mocked by a studio scale for my lack of knowledge when I was really just asking for clarification about something.

Last edited:

I always found it maddening. I love sharing whatever I can as well as getting clarifications and corrections as well as new info from whoever is willing

The only reason I can kind of see for that is in some cases that causes the price of already rare donor kits to skyrocket even more. In addition, I believe some of the rarer ref pics or knowledge had been bought and once money enters into the picture we all know what happens...

But in general many of the studio scale "cabals" can be very closed and cliquey and pretty intolerant of beginners asking seemingly innocent questions
A thought on this point of kit prices going up when identified as doner kits. If we are successful in creating a map and a 3D printable library of parts would not that lower the demand? Studio scale can still have the definition of "Studio Scale" but those that don't care to track down and purchase all the kits but want something that is still accurate can have it. I don't know. Maybe not. Then again I personally don't like being restricted in what "counts" as accurate. If it looks close enough that you can't tell the difference who cares?

Excellent work and lots of amazing progress!

I think you nailed it. You are right about how it feels to grey, but once you get everything else on it looks right. Also it is very deceiving how white it can look until you actually stick it next to pure white
For my speeders I mixed some white in with the XF-19 as it I liked them to be a little lighter even thought it was less accurate. But to be studio accurate, I believe the AT-AT (and st least the ESB AT-ST) and the speeders are the same base color. XF-19 is the best match I had found (not counting Archive-X but those were not available when I was originally figuring out colors).
I got the XF-19 tip from Jason Eaton as he mentioned using it as the base color for the MR master I think.

I was "off the grid" for a bit since I drove a friend of my wife's across country. 4 day drive from Philadelphia area to Sedona Arizona. We parted ways there, I rented a car and went to the grand canyon for a couple of days them flew home yesterday

Thanks! Actually your correct about the speeders being whiter. Considering the smaller scale they should be lightened anyway AND seeing pictures of the studios smaller speeder models theyre significantly whiter than the larger ones.

I chose the untinted xf 19 as it will stand out a bit more against the snow on the diorama base.

I bet you're exhausted after your trip, sounds interesting though!

Nice work on that speeder Starks and that's a great shot of a cheek gun detail.

Yeah there's definetely reference to be found in obscure places. Obviously this wont be identical to the 3 hero walkers but does confirm the overall look they were going for.

I always found it maddening. I love sharing whatever I can as well as getting clarifications, corrections, and new info from whoever is willing

The only reason I can kind of see for that behaviour is in some cases it causes the price of already rare donor kits to skyrocket even more. In addition, I believe some of the rarer ref pics or knowledge had been bought and once money enters into the picture we all know what happens...

But in general many of the studio scale "cabals" can be very closed and cliquey and pretty intolerant of beginners asking seemingly innocent questions.

I remember being publicly mocked by a studio scale for my lack of knowledge when I was really just asking for clarification about something.

Prices skyrocket? Those bigger kits are already good money, $2-250 for the airfix harrier just to rob some parts. And they will eventually get thin on the ground anyway so, I believe, the need is there to catalogue and 3d draw the parts.

And if you paid for specific pictures I can understand why some may not want to share them.

A thought on this point of kit prices going up when identified as doner kits. If we are successful in creating a map and a 3D printable library of parts would not that lower the demand? Studio scale can still have the definition of "Studio Scale" but those that don't care to track down and purchase all the kits but want something that is still accurate can have it. I don't know. Maybe not. Then again I personally don't like being restricted in what "counts" as accurate. If it looks close enough that you can't tell the difference who cares?

This is my feelings also. You could easily sink over 1k in kit purchases for a SS model. I understand its a hobby and moneys spent over time but even if it cost a couple of hundred dollars in 3d printed greeblies it would beat what you're going to spend on kits.

Also I guess for some its about the hunt and challenge of producing the model just as the studio did. And that's a fantastic goal. Doesn't mean anyone else should be shot down for not agreeing with your views.

Cheers,
Josh

On the lower body armour, the 3 slots in the center. Does anyone have any decent references of the piece that sits inside there? It's far too empty without it.

Cheers,
Josh

Hopefully this is the area you mean?

It is amazing that Bandai even duplicating the hex screw holes here
Maybe this was left removable so they could reach the stuff behind if needed?

They really did an amazing job capturing all the details. There is also a ton of detail on that whole underbody inside as well as the screws used for animation and the leg mechanics

I believe that half round part is from the same Saturn V kit used on the Y-Wing engines

let me know if you need more detailed/focused shots of any area. Unfortunately it would be much easier to see the details if the parts were on the sprues, but at least it is easy enough to remove the legs. However, the body is glued together so I can't take the bottom out of the shell

Maybe someone who has the kit but did not assemble it yet could fill in the gaps and get some better angles

IMG_5792 (2).JPG

IMG_5793 (2).JPG

IMG_5794.JPG

IMG_5797 (2).JPG

IMG_5802 (2).JPG
IMG_5803 (2).JPG

IMG_5806 (2).JPG
IMG_5804 (2).JPG

IMG_5808 (2).JPG

IMG_5809 (2).JPG

IMG_5810 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Those are some good shots of a lot of stuff in that area Analyzer. The detail Bandai captured is one of the reasons I am trying to get a kit so I can look more closely at it for reference.

Aside from the great armor vent shots it also shows the hip to body joint really well.

Hopefully this is the area you mean?

It is amazing that Bandai even duplicating the hex screw holes here
Maybe this was left removable so they could reach the stuff behind if needed?

They really did an amazing job capturing all the details. There is also a ton of detail on that whole underbody inside as well as the screws used for animation and the leg mechanics

I believe that half round part is from the same Saturn V kit used on the Y-Wing engines

let me know if you need more detailed/focused shots of any area. Unfortunately it would be much easier to see the details if the parts were on the sprues, but at least it is easy enough to remove the legs. However, the body is glued together so I can't take the bottom out of the shell

Maybe someone who has the kit but did not assemble it yet could fill in the gaps and get some better angles

View attachment 1466898
View attachment 1466899
View attachment 1466900
View attachment 1466901
View attachment 1466903View attachment 1466902

View attachment 1466908View attachment 1466904
View attachment 1466909
View attachment 1466910
View attachment 1466911

Those shots are absolutely perfect thank you!
Ill whip something up.

I threw together some cylinders right up the back to as that area was a bit blank.

You're right it is amazing how much detail they included. I wonder if they 3d scanned the studio model.

Those are some good shots of a lot of stuff in that area Analyzer. The detail Bandai captured is one of the reasons I am trying to get a kit so I can look more closely at it for reference.

Aside from the great armor vent shots it also shows the hip to body joint really well.

I agree. I think the bandai kit is a must for working pieces and assembley out. May have to get one off ebay.

Cheers,
Josh

Edit- anyone have any thoughts which leg was harpooned? Rear left or right?

Last edited:
Those shots are absolutely perfect thank you!
Ill whip something up.

I threw together some cylinders right up the back to as that area was a bit blank.

You're right it is amazing how much detail they included. I wonder if they 3d scanned the studio model.

I agree. I think the bandai kit is a must for working pieces and assembley out. May have to get one off ebay.

Cheers,
Josh
I'm on a waiting list for a Bandai kit. I hope it actually materializes. Looked at Ebay and the like and the price is double.

Anybody out there willing to loan an un-built Bandai kit (one that is just sitting around and not a current project) for a period of time to use for detail reference? You would get it back unharmed and earn my eternal gratitude in the process.

Unfortunately. Bandai didn't get the correct shape at the back of those opening. View attachment 1467379View attachment 1467380

and here's my take...
View attachment 1467382

All the best Starks.
Thanks for sharing those!
And you did a fantastic job of copying the studio model.

I started making pieces last night so hoping to wrap this up and paint soon. My eldest son has been quite ill so hes been my priority the last few days.

It continues to prove a point though of you really need multiple references of each area to try your best at getting details correct, especially as we see discrepancies in even the studio models.

In the Bandai pics they seem to have that hip joint to the body nicely copied from what I have seen. No matter how detailed though I think Bandai deserve some manufacturing sympathy with the challenges of producing that model in 1/144. But im guessing they have removed the pointed edge of the infill to allow for fingers!

Cheers,
Josh

There are some other details in the Bandai I do not see on that one model. I wonder if it is possible some of that came from the large AT-AT.

Namely the two long support bars on the inside that extend up into the body

Or maybe like the cheek guns, each one had slightly different details?

There are some other details in the Bandai I do not see on that one model. I wonder if it is possible some of that came from the large AT-AT.

Namely the two long support bars on the inside that extend up into the body

Or maybe like the cheek guns, each one had slightly different details?

Its hard to say. For the 3 hero's they seemed to create a run of parts and assemble. There was definitely some differences on the large walker. And as we have noted on the rear greeblies and front drive motor grille there has been discrepancies in assembley.

As Hagoth pointed out, on screen, its hard to see differences in the cheek guns but they look like theyre the same?
The different versions could be prototypes or replacements.

Or they could be simply all different. It makes it hard when trying to narrow down details to copy then another photo surfaces where it's different. This isn't like reproducing the falcon where there was just 1 32" and 1 5 footer.
There's 3 walkers plus a large one all supposedly the same but seemingly not.

In the end it's going to be what satisfies you personally I guess and don't take it to heart if someone presents evidence to the contrary.

Cheers,
Josh

I noticed the flattened off edge on the Bandai belly armor vent wedge and was looking for the screen shot I remembered seeing that showed it as a full wedge shape. Found it. This will be from one of the three hero (18" tall) versions. Hope the picture links work.

Middle Walker

Left Walker

If you don't look closely at the perspective and shadows you could mistaken this to have a flattened off edge.

Its hard to say. For the 3 hero's they seemed to create a run of parts and assemble. There was definitely some differences on the large walker. And as we have noted on the rear greeblies and front drive motor grille there has been discrepancies in assembley.

As Hagoth pointed out, on screen, its hard to see differences in the cheek guns but they look like theyre the same?
The different versions could be prototypes or replacements.

Or they could be simply all different. It makes it hard when trying to narrow down details to copy then another photo surfaces where it's different. This isn't like reproducing the falcon where there was just 1 32" and 1 5 footer.
There's 3 walkers plus a large one all supposedly the same but seemingly not.

In the end it's going to be what satisfies you personally I guess and don't take it to heart if someone presents evidence to the contrary.

Cheers,
Josh
Speaking of cheek guns I really like this shot of the detail on them. Especially the business end of the shorter one. Based on the weathering I think this is the large 4' one.

Speaking of cheek guns I really like this shot of the detail on them. Especially the business end of the shorter one. Based on the weathering I think this is the large 4' one.

Is it just me or is that cannon on the right hand side ( our left) turned around? The horizontal slot looks like its on an angle.
I suspect your right at that being the larger walker, the detail on the smaller ones does continue to surprise however.

Cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
I noticed the flattened off edge on the Bandai belly armor vent wedge and was looking for the screen shot I remembered seeing that showed it as a full wedge shape. Found it. This will be from one of the three hero (18" tall) versions. Hope the picture links work.

Middle Walker

Left Walker

If you don't look closely at the perspective and shadows you could mistaken this to have a flattened off edge.

Waiting to go into work and sitting here looking at these posts studying the cheek guns. The center and left walkers definitely have the same cheek guns. Looks like the barrel on the left cheek (our right) of the center walker is perhaps broken, it looks skewed off center. The right walker it's hard to see but has the armour plates on the cheek guns in the same location so would suggest it's the same as the other two.

Which brings me back to the resin walker with its cheek guns with the spotlight. Executive gifts at the time and not used in filming so presumably cast after filming. I can only guess they were a prototype cheek gun or some such and the other variations are repairs or replacements.

We saw the cheek gun part off the big walker auctioned off and was stated its not on its original legs either so it goes to show these things are not in their initial form.

Anyway, point is I suppose if building an ESB replica walker seems should only be the one style cheek gun and not be confused by the variations. Now just finalising on those details of those cheek guns as clear references are difficult.

Cheers,
Josh

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back