Revell At-At WIP... finishing up!

The second image shows two slightly tapered rectangular panels on the rearward section just aft of the big mid body access panel. This is the only time I have noticed them on a Walker and I do not believe I have ever seen them included on a kit. Both are screen accurate depending on which you choose to replicate.

I believe those tapered panels are 'spares' to go on the feet in case repairs or a replacement is needed by the Empire :

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-11 om 00.12.38.png

Chaïm

I believe those tapered panels are 'spares' to go on the feet in case repairs or a replacement is needed by the Empire :

View attachment 1456778

Chaïm

Did not notice that!

Could be a simple enough explanation. Maybe they did not bother adding those to the smaller walkers because they figured no one would notice vs the larger one that would have more close ups

Did not notice that!

Could be a simple enough explanation. Maybe they did not bother adding those to the smaller walkers because they figured no one would notice vs the larger one that would have more close ups

I notice on the shots with one ( we call it a toe now?) The main bodys burnt above the door suggesting the filming of the dropping at-at was filmed after the blowing up and falling on its side. So I guess that extra greeblie yeah most likely fell off.

Until it was brought up in the Round2 thread I did not realise the toes on the feet articulated down.
There seems to be a definite hole in the top of that toe greeblie to allow a rod to go through allowing flop down articulation.

On the smaller models the feet are presumably all one molded piece so would not have these constructed toe greeblies readily available to just stick to the side.

Perhaps the 'screw hole' is a casting bubble?
There seems to be no hole on the body suggesting something was screwed there where the toe greeblie has fallen off?

Cheers,
Josh

Spare toes! What an intriguing observation and conclusion. I like that! Makes sense. That is a cool possible insight into the creative details that the model builders put into the used universe of Star Wars. The small tab like protrusion at the top of the toe looks like some kind of hinge point and the attachment point by which it might be mounted on the side panel. Where the second one would have been there is a mark were it likely could have attached on the model. Something fell off I think.

Now to mix things up with more prop discontinuity. When the cable is being wrapped around the legs of the walker there are no toes hanging on the side. Note the look of the recessed small hatch panels and weathering. Then as it starts to trip and fall forward, and as it hits the ground, there is one toe hanging there. The hatch panels and weathering are different as well. Evidence of at least two different models used for the sequence. Ok, just an observation.

When Luke is lifting himself up to the belly those two toes are not hanging on the side of the walker. Then after he drops and when it is blowing up they are both there. Again two different models used for the sequence. I wonder if the model builders and prop team along with everyone else ever dreamed that such close scrutiny would have ever been paid to the action scenes of the movie.

That all being noticed I like the idea of some magnetic type attachments to clip some extra toes on the sides of the walker. I like the story they tell.

I have also been noticing the two lower armor plates at the back all over the place.

Spare toes! What an intriguing observation and conclusion. I like that! Makes sense. That is a cool possible insight into the creative details that the model builders put into the used universe of Star Wars. The small tab like protrusion at the top of the toe looks like some kind of hinge point and the attachment point by which it might be mounted on the side panel. Where the second one would have been there is a mark were it likely could have attached on the model. Something fell off I think.

That all being noticed I like the idea of some magnetic type attachments to clip some extra toes on the sides of the walker. I like the story they tell.

I have also been noticing the two lower armor plates at the back all over the place.

Thanks Hagoth :) ... and yes I noticed those plates on at least one other vehicle :

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-11 om 01.12.11.png

What are they called in real life and from which original modelkit or kits were they salvaged?

Chaïm

Last edited:
I guess they were going for the look of spare treads on tanks. Make sense

Thanks Hagoth :) ... and yes I noticed those plates on at least one other vehicle :

View attachment 1456918

What are they called in real life and from which original modelkit or kits were they salvaged?

Chaïm

I am pretty sure those are from the Flakvierling 38. The same plate part shows up on the AT-ST as well

6.jpg

1.jpg

It is also where some parts for the side guns come from

Nd9GcQHU4VqwkdaLy18VrpKFwgaCuD1E7rkt0SX7Q&usqp=CAU.jpg

View attachment 1456918

Chaïm
Funny you added that....I was just looking at a toy speeder my boys have and noticed those plates!

I guess they were going for the look of spare treads on tanks. Make sense

I am pretty sure those are from the Flakvierling 38. The same plate part shows up on the AT-ST as well

View attachment 1456922
View attachment 1456923
It is also where some parts for the side guns come from

View attachment 1456924

With your wealth of knowledge Analyzer Im really looking foward to seeing you tackle your build.

Did you say 1/48 for the Flakvierling side guns?

Cheers,
Josh

Funny you added that....I was just looking at a toy speeder my boys have and noticed those plates!

With your wealth of knowledge Analyzer Im really looking foward to seeing you tackle your build.

Did you say 1/48 for the Flakvierling side guns?

Cheers,
Josh

For the side guns I think the 1/48 is the scale that would fit best with the Revell AT-AT based on what others have done

The original studio model I think used the 1/35 ones

There is this shot with all the models, walker at the front... and point of interest.... no top plate and looks like only a mid plate on the RIGHT side. Could have been made this way, or pieces most likely fell off but considering how often they get tooling reversed on models I bet this was what was used to base the MPC on. I cant really make out the rear oval but through the shadows and pixels my gut feeling is it is correct to the MPC kit.
Perhaps there is a better photo of this somewhere but considering it's pre-digital age I doubt it. And why is that Falcon upside down? everything is just upside down today haha
View attachment 1456162

I had a go running a slightly higher-rez version of this image through Topaz Gigapixel AI:

img_117971_small.jpg

Not much detail in that oval - whatever greeblies were in there must have fallen out or were removed.

Dan

I had a go running a slightly higher-rez version of this image through Topaz Gigapixel AI:

View attachment 1457357

Not much detail in that oval - whatever greeblies were in there must have fallen out or were removed.

Dan
Thanks for taking the effort!

As Hagoth said, more confirmation. Looks like a screw hole in there and seems to be in the rear of the other example so perhaps is a rear stand mounting point.

I think I can spot green on the feet, the r/h lower body armour looks damaged? And may well be upside down guns suggesting this is the RoTJ model.
Cheers,
Josh

Yeah, definitely seems like those oval details were easily placed in in varying orientations much like the hatch cover on the X-Wings

Hah! look at all those Kenner die-cast Tie Fighters

They even have the rear trunk in tact ( that part is removable)

I am sure they were for extreme distance shots. IIRC they were were under a major crunch for the end ROTJ battle and even at one point put in a sneaker as one of the rebel ships

Ties1.jpg
fighter-loose-complete-17263352479876_1024x1024@2x.jpg

An update to the build....
I assembled the drive motor and had no real interest in modifying it as it is quite hidden underneath but then a couple of details stood out to me I wanted to address. First the front motor. I have left it predominantly as Revell intended... there should be more detail as in ribs/ corrugations around the front circumference but as there is some serious work in me creating those and they're quite fine on the studio model I opted not to worry about them. However right on front of the drive motor is an oval shaped greeblie. Revell got this round.
Revell:
SRlLE05.jpg

Studio:
s8vyi62.jpg

So I made a new one, an improvement:
OJyhQV6.jpg

The rear drive motor bothered me for Revell missing the oval shaped vents on the side and an extension off the back. The very rear center should also have a grille but as it is totally covered on the Revell model by the rear oval and greeblies I have not bothered correcting something you don't see. On the studio model things sit a bit less tight around the back there.
The studio model:
xR8fUVt.jpg

Revells offering:
e9QH3rt.jpg

My altered rear drive motor with side oval grilles and rear extension:
8pYlINV.jpg

Those side oval grilles were really kicking my arse. I made them once (took hours) and ended up too big so I ripped them off and started again.
I got the shape better, primed it, double checked the reference and realised I made a mistake. I looked at pictures showing the top of the oval and there's a flat section without grille slats. I assumed this mirrored the bottom but it doesn't... the grille slats should run all the way to the bottom of the oval. I'm not doing it a third time. You really only see a hint of it through the leg mechanisms anyway but looks a bit wrong without those grilles there at all so even a bit under detailed it is a big improvement.
The rear extension I made from a cut down zip tie.

Onto the legs next. I will address the extensions on the inside of the body center lower 3 slots as they're seen from the outside but I'm never looking under the walker so I'm not concerned here. Revell have some detail so it's not sparse although a lot is missing. The effort the model builders at ILM went to is really outstanding when you look at the reference pictures. On that note thought I would throw up photo's for those that haven't seen them of the walkers in their skeleton and the 4ft behemoth, photo must have been taken after the tow cable fall as the doors are still hanging off. Theresin casting may have been a bit sloppy as it generally is but boy these were really quality built puppets, machined metal and all.
Cheers,
Josh
TDf404z.jpg

4fWWGBS.jpg

oP5kNZE.jpg

Yeah, definitely seems like those oval details were easily placed in in varying orientations much like the hatch cover on the X-Wings

Hah! look at all those Kenner die-cast Tie Fighters

They even have the rear trunk in tact ( that part is removable)

I am sure they were for extreme distance shots. IIRC they were were under a major crunch for the end ROTJ battle and even at one point put in a sneaker as one of the rebel ships

Great so now we have to find a screen accurate nike for the rebel fleet? I'm guessing that was the missing ship from red squadron, one of the crew had to wear him home LOL

Cheers,
Josh

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back