Revell AT-AT Easy-Kit WIP

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by danikin72, Dec 14, 2011.

1. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Just wanted to share my progress on my AT-AT's.
    I'm currently doing 2 of them and I plan on doing a scene from the Hoth battle.
    I don't normally show WIP because it takes so long between updates but I figured with all of the mods that I'm putting into these things there will be plenty to show and talk about.
    This is also alot of firsts for me, scratching parts and casting, so please don't be too harsh.
    I just want the kits to look as best a possible, not 100% accurate but as close as I can get.
    Anyways, on to the pics...
    [​IMG]

Head progress

[​IMG]

Rebuilt D-rings for the feet. I casted this part for both AT-AT's.

[​IMG]

Neck Mod
    I used a mini slinky and trimmed up the rings so that it would fit, the original kit part is far too horrible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The head is almost complete for the major surgery...for one of them anyways.
    Next is all of the details, side guns, under chin guns and back wall rebuild.
    You can see how bad the original kit is compaired to the modded one.

It's still allitle rough but it's getting there.

Well that's all I have for now, Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    robn1 and Nobby like this.
  2. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Re: Revell Easy-Kit WIP

Excellent work! Can't wait to see how this progresses

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Thanks for the comment.
    It's alot of work but i'm excited to get them finished and on display.
    After all that is going into these I may just try to build my first scratch built model from the ground up.
    I need to get these finished first though.

4. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Took a pic of the main hull.
    I rescribed all panel lines for both at-at's.
    This took forever it seemed like, not as long as scribing all the feet.

[​IMG]

Just need to remove and rebuild all of the hull details for both.
    They are just too soft and not detailed enough, kind of looks like a toy.
    I guess that's the "easy-kit" part of it.

5. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

Very nice. What did you use as a guide for scribing the feet? This area has always been seen as next to impossible for me to do.

Also, there is an upgrade set in the works that has replacements for those Flakverlieng details on the body.

6. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I actually bought the flak kit, so I have those.
    For the feet I just made a template to use as a guide.
    I needed it to be the same for all sides.
    I just used a piece of paper to get the curvature and then cut out a piece of stock plastic.
    Worked well.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Well, here is a small update...

[​IMG]

Finished scribing the feet, it's a little rough but as you can see I am cutting out the toes to make them movable.

On to the toes and the underside of the foot. I plan on filling the foot with plaster to help with stability.

Thanks for looking.

8. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Revell should be sued for "False Advertising" ..... Easy-Kit, yeah right.

I really like the idea of using the mini slinky for the neck, I was stumped on what I was going to put on mine, now that's solved. Thank you.

I also picked up the 1/48 Flak kit, I also picked up the 1/48 Sturmgeschutz III Ausf. G (Sd.Kfz.142/1) kit# 32525*1700 for the main guns.

You did a vast improvement on the head Danikin, very nice! She's coming along great, I'll be looking forward to your updates.

9. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Thank You!
    I thought about picking up some of the other kits needed but didn't have the budget at the time. Maybe I'll still do it but I'm wondering what parts are in the 1/48 Sturmgeschutz III Ausf. G. Is it just the barrels or the whole assembly? If it's the whole assembly then I'll definately pick it up. I just haven't seen any reference from that kit.
    Save some time in building up the guns.

Thanks for the comment about the head. I'm doing 2 kits at once so it's pretty slow going. and I'm working up the second head now.

This is not an "Easy Kit" if you want something decent. It's almost a total rebuild. I almost wonder if it would have been easier to just scratch build the whole thing.

I wasn't going to start these for a while but a friend of mine challenged me to do it so here I am.

Oh well, it's fun and a good challenge to build up the scratching skills.

10. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

I just saw a listing in the Starship Modeler Store that is Revell AT-AT Easy kit upgrade set 1. No details as to what is in the kit or pictures yet, just the listing, but after a long wait it looks like one is finally here.

11. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I just looked at that, I will problably pick up a couple of those, I haven't made the toes or the bottom of the feet yet. Most of the parts in the set are things I haven't tackled yet.
    I'm glad it doesn't have the head yet cuz I've spent way too much time on that part. I would just be mad if I had wasted all that time.

Next thing I know Fine Molds will come out with a 1/48 AT-AT and really **** me off. :angry

I wonder what the upgrade kit #2 is going to have in it. Problably the head and guns.

12. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Wokring on one of these too, but stalled. THink i'm going back to it :)

That slinky is * near genius

13. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

Awesome work so far!

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "mini slinky"? I´ve searched high and low to find a good replacement for the neck but nothing so far. What you´ve got there looks perfect (except for the colors... ;) ). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

14. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

Great to finally see the upgrade kit has come to fruition, DD. Well done.

15. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

A "Slinky" is a kids toy that was first made many many years ago. It's just a flat coiled spring that you could make "walk" down stairs using its own momentum to make it move. A "Mini-Slinky" is just a smaller version.

Both should still be readily available in toy shops.

16. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

If my search is correct I believe you can find it under Slinky Jr

http://www.amazon.com/ToySmith-Meta...QRXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324429532&sr=8-1

I will definitely be picking up a couple. That was an excellent find for the neck.

Did you have to reduce the diameter or only cut off links to trim the length?

Pretty amazing coincidence that it just happens to be the right diameter if so!

17. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I did have to grind out the neck rings because the plastic was too thick.
    it was a pain but once you cut out the ribbed portion the walls are just too thick, I would have thinned it out anyways just too keep the sense of scale right.
    I struggled with what to do for the neck for quite a while and eventually thought about a slinky, when I was at toys r us the last time I found some and figured what the heck, I'll give it go. They were about a dollar a piece. They are the perfect size both in diameter and in length. I didn't have to touch the slinky itself, other then having to paint them.

18. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

That´s a great help thanks so much!!!

19. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

You are very welcome.
    Since the release for the upgrade set is soon, I've decided to concentrate on the head and legs portion of the kit. I am going to work up the things that I know are not in the upgrade set to save time and effort.

Started the work week now and with the holidays coming up I'll try to keep everyone updated but it may be slow going with time constrants.

Please be patient.

Also If anyone has questions or comments please feel free. They are always welcomed and very helpfull.
    I'm stretching my skill set a bit on these and learning tons so far, so please keep that in mind.
    I may have missed something or if I can help in any way with other projects just let me know. Sounds like alot of people are working on this kit at one stage or another.

20. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

The upgrade set already has been released, the first ten sets sold out within 2 days though. If you want one I recommend preordering it. (I was the guy who mastered it.)
    I just wonder why SSM called it "Upgrade Set No.1", there won´t be another mastered by me. There´s a replacement head supposed to be released by RetroSF though, but it´s been ages since Julien told me they bought the head he made.

21. Scratchy

Just out of curiosity, what's the outer diameter of the mini slinky?

22. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Here are a couple of pics with a ruler showing both length and diameter...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

23. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Minor update...
    Just wanted to show some progress on the legs, still need a little cleanup.
    Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

24. Scratchy

Thanks, that size is perfect, the one I bought is 0.025" too large on the length and diameter.

25. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Another update...
    While I've been waiting for the upgrade set I've been working on other areas of the AT-AT's that won't be affected by the replacement parts.
    Mostly the legs and head are not included on the set, so instead of shelving the modeles until they arrive I have been keeping busy with other stuff.
    Trust me there is plenty more to do.
    First off the lower legs, pretty much finished with these, just need to clean up a bit. Putty and primer are my friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am building these as a hybrid between several references between studio models and the incredible cross sections book. There are differences between all of them and some I like better then others. If there is something that I'm missing or something not right then that's problably why.
    I'm still trying to decide how far I want to take these with accuracy, it'll never be 100% but where do you draw the line?
    Well that's it for now.
    On to the upper legs...
    Thanks for looking.

26. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I am aware that I bounce around alot, but it helps me from getting bored with one particular area on a kit.
    Well here is a small update...

I finished the major surgury with the second head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I built up a new back wall for both heads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just for good measure I mocked up how it's gonna look with the body, I think it'll work.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

27. christrom

christrom Well-Known Member

This is really great work, looking forward to seeing it progress further

28. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Awesome work. That's something I've been wanting to scratch build for some time, but wanted to do it at 3" tall. Can't wait to see more of what you're doing.

29. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Well, time for another small update.
    I've been working on the legs (slowly), with eight of them it's a little difficult to not get bored.

The middle hinge.
    I decided to use the kit part on this, I just added a screw top made from a parts tree turned on some sandpaper and then drilled out. I knew I was saving those things for something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The upper hinge.
    I cut out some stock plastic to use for the back plate and carved out the track for the rod thingy (I don't know what else to call it). I used the same process for the center plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All eight of them are done, just doing some cleanup.
    Now I need to work out some details on the back of the legs.

Thanks for looking.

30. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Awesome job!

31. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Well, here are the back of the legs...

[​IMG]

As you can see I used my "turning of the sprue" method for the screw caps on the back of the legs, they actually look more like rivets to me, so that's the look I went with.

[​IMG]

I added stock plastic for the top of the legs to get the right shape, making sure it was the right thickness. I stuggled with how to fill in the hole for the knee joint until I decided that the best way is to cover the length of the surface, both for stability and it would be much easier then filling and sanding.

[​IMG]

Here is a comparision shot showing what I mean. I think the modded leg looks much better. I've completed four out of the eight.

The legs are almost there!

This thing seems like it's taking forever but it's starting to come together, at least some parts of it are.

Thanks for the patients and the comments, I appreciate it, this is my first WIP so bare with me.

32. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Your build is so sharp and clean.

33. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Thanks for the comment.
    It's been slow going so far but it's starting to look like a AT-AT.
    I'm happy with my progress so far but there is still alot of work to do.
    Hopefully this weekend I can pick up the parts for the main guns and finish up the heads while I wait for the upgrade kits to arrive.
    Once I get that, it'll go fast...hopefully.

Then comes the really fun part...the paint!

34. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Well, I haven't had an update for awhile.
    I've been working on the main guns, trying to figure out how to go about building them ( I decided to scratch new ones ).
    I looked at as many references as I could find and finally said "it's not going to build itself".
    so here is my progress so far...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few more parts that will go into this but not many.
    They will be added after I mold and cast the master ( I need 4 of them) for ease.
    I think it looks much better then the original kit part.
    Let me know what you think, comments are welcomed.

Thanks for looking

35. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Definitely better!

36. rustyj

rustyj Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

great improvements- I've got the stock kit built before me and I thought it was good- but is blown out of the water compared to your photos! Nice job.

37. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

A quick question though...
    Should I have the main guns in the "ready to fire" position, the recoiled "just fired", or alternating. Keep in mind I am doing 2 of these, and the guns alternate when firing. I can't decide and I'm not sure if I want to go the extra step and make them movable.
    The kit part would represent the just fired position based on where the wheel in the back of the housing is.

38. Scratchy

I say, make them movable. That would certainly be something that I'll remember when/if the time comes for mine.

39. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

So I was looking at the head and something just didn't seem right.
    I went back to the reference photos and found some areas that needed a little touching up.

The forward vent looked pretty bad, the grill is supposed to be more inset.
    [​IMG]

The side fins are too shallow and lack detail, also it's missing one of the indents.
    [​IMG]

old grill cutout, new grill scratched
    [​IMG]

New, corrected fins with added detail
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The world makes sense again.

40. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

Clean work. :thumbsup Keep it up.

41. glenthornetms

glenthornetms Member

Fantastic work - converting a Revell Easy-Kit! You must have patience worthy of a Benedictine Monk :wacko
    It's going to be stunning when your finished!

42. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Thanks for all of the kind words.
    This project has tried my patients but it will be worth it in the end. I'm learning alot.
    The head is just about ready to be permently assembled, then a little cleanup and finally the details.
    If I can keep this pace the heads will be all wrapped up in a week or so.
    Hopefully in time for the upgrade set to arrive.

Actually now that I think about it, I still have to make the ramps for the main guns under the head. So I guess you better give 2 weeks then.

It's a good thing it's cold outside and I don't want to go anywhere.

More updates as I have something to show.
    Thanks for looking.

43. daryllwin

daryllwin New Member

Incredible work on the detailing. This project is proof that its better to take your time and get things right than rush your work and hope that it comes out well. I'd love to see the finished product!

44. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

The upgrade kits have arrived!
    So here is alittle update...now with primer.

So the heads are pretty much done, just a few little details to be added.
    The big news is it's glued, so I guess there's no going back.
    [​IMG]

After I glued them I filled the seems and shot it with some primer. I could see the errors in sanding more easily.
    [​IMG]

I then sanded again and some more primer.
    [​IMG]

Rinse and repeat.
    [​IMG]

A little leg... oh and please excuse the mess. I really should make a photo booth.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and don't foget the feet, which are fully moveable thanks to the upgrade kit.
    [​IMG]

a little detail work on the body, I just couldn't wait.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and last but not least...the side guns. This is the fourth attempt at the housing for the flakverling's. Just didn't look right the other times, either too much space or too little. I will be filling in the side gaps and then building up the rest, should look good when finished...fingers crossed.
    [​IMG]

Thought for today, I know alot of people are working on this kit. I highly recommend the upgrade kit. Clean castings, sharp detail and it includes alot of parts that really saved me alot time and frustration. It's alot details that really set the kit off to a different level.

Great Job and thanks to darth_daniel who mastered the upgrade kit. My hats off to you sir. I can't wait to see your finished model.

45. Scratchy

Very nice work. However, I do have a question. You're building two AT-ATs, why not cast the new head?

Phenomenal skills, you have.

46. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

I just cant believe they only made 10, yes 10, upgrade sets available. I've been wanting a set like this since I got my AT-AT and then they're gone before I even know they're available. Great work guys....NOT.

This is not directed at Darth Daniel who did a epic job on this set.

I just hope they decide to release a foot pad set as these are the pieces I want most.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  47. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

You´re too kind, many thanks for the good feedback. :)

Junk Pilot, SSM is still producing the set so if you want one just go to the SSM store and preorder a set. They´ve sold 20 sets so far, as far as I know they usually get them in in a batch of only 10 because it takes much time to produce due to the high number of parts. The last 10 were gone in 5 days or so. But if you preorder, John will put one aside for you and send you a message when he gets them in stock.

48. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Huh, make 1 head and then cast it. I guess I didn't think of that.
    I casted only the parts that were added and then cleaned up the rest of the errors. I guess your way would have been faster, and easier.
    I'll remember that next time I take on a similar project. Great feedback.

Thanks

49. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Just a little update for today...

Finished the forward vents on the body.

Original kit part, horrible!

[​IMG]

Scratched new ones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took the better part of the afternoon but it's coming along.

Thanks for looking.

50. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Well, not much of an update.
    Between work and sleep I've not had alot of time lately, plus these kits are starting to get me down.
    I keep sayin "well I guess I'll go and work on the at-at's some more".
    This thread is really the motivation behind working on it, I don't want to let it die until it's dead. At this point it's sheer determination.

so feel free to give me words of encouragement...

Anyways, on to the the pics, if you look at some of the earlier posts you will notice the bad "heavy lifting attachment", It's for clamping the at-at to the carryall dropship that we have never seen. It's got to get to the ground somehow I guess, so why not like the at-te on geonosis.

Here is my mod to the kit, I basically cut the notches down farther and then built it up (to make it deeper and with an angle) from the inside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also sorted out the mount for the head to the body, it's basically a brass rod inside a plastic tube, for stability and to glue.
    [​IMG]

And a little teaser pic, I mocked up how it looks together.
    [​IMG]

ok, another view
    [​IMG]

It doesn't look like much of an update but it's the little things that seem to take the most time. It took me about half a day to do this on both. The nice thing is it's still moving forward and there is a light at the end of the tunnel...they are starting to look like an at-ats.

I also drilled out all of the toes for the feet that came with the upgrade kit and attached them to the underplate, no pics yet, cuz there is not much to show. I plan on finishing the feet next between gluing the body together and cleaning up a few other things.

Well that's all for now, thanks for looking.