reusing clay after molding

hez1

Question for the peeps who have done this....After you've sealed your sculpt (regular clear coat, yes?) and poured some rubber on top of it, let it cure and all that...is the clay reusable when you've demolded? Does the surface need taking off, to get rid of the clear coat? I'm not keen on throwing 12lbs of clay in the bin if I don't have to.

Never threw away any here, sat there picking silicone and plaster out of it sometimes, my chavant nsp is like 3 yrs + old now :)

If the clear coat is thick enough to affect the clay I'd remove it. I re-use clay all the time - also picking out dirt, plaster, silicone bits whatever.
For the molding process I use and re-use Paper Clay. Once dried it can be recycled simply by removing the dirt, tearing it to small pieces then re soak in a large container of water for 1 day.
Next day just knead it all back together and store it in airtight containers and its ready for use next time.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back