Returner Movie. Japanese Sci-fi. Milly's Lighter Prop Identification / Help.

Wakeem

Sr Member
Does anyone know the type of lighter Milly has in the movie Returner? I searched a few places and can't find any screen caps. It's a cylindrical, most likely stainless steel piece. I don't know if it was a actual lighter or something made for the movie. Thanks.

I bought that movie 5 years ago and never saw it yet. I'll see if i can manage some screen caps by this weekend.

I have the movie as well. I'll have to check out the lighter again. I have a couple of the clocks used to make the little pop-up computer but I never finished the conversion.

I bought that movie 5 years ago and never saw it yet. I'll see if i can manage some screen caps by this weekend.

It's kind of a quirky Japanese sci-fi. It has mixtures of E.T. and The Terminator. I saw it a long time ago and I caught part of it on one of the premium channels a few days ago. Back when I saw it the only prop I was ever interested in was Luke's Return of the Jedi stunt lightsaber. Now thanks to this forum, I'm checking out all the props in movies!

I have the movie as well. I'll have to check out the lighter again. I have a couple of the clocks used to make the little pop-up computer but I never finished the conversion.

I need to see the movie again. I only keyed on Milly's lighter and her wrist device that slows down time. Who had the pop-up computer?

If either of you guys could do screen caps that would be cool. I was going to search and see if there was a DVD/Blu-ray available.

Here's a couple of shots I just happen to already have on my computer:
sc151.JPG

sc152.JPG

sc155.JPG

sc169.JPG

sc171.JPG

sc173.JPG

Milly had the computer.

Returner is on demand for a while now. Too bad the pause function is wonky. I'm still curious about that lighter. Any guesses on the brand?

It's been two years and I'm still looking for this lighter off and on. I forgot I started this topic but didn't add screen captures because I didn't have the movie then. Here are the only close ups in the movie. Anyone recognize the lighter?

Milly's_Lighter_Returner_01.JPG

Milly's_Lighter_Returner_02.JPG

Milly's_Lighter_Returner_03.JPG

I'm not sure if it helps but I have seen a few flip-top cigar lighters that look similar but I couldn't find anything exact.
-Ed

I'm trying to find the company by looking in the credits. But some stuff is in Japanese. There should be a lighters in movies site out there. But I guess since the go to lighter is a Zippo maybe not.

Anyone know of good sources for lighters? I'm not finding lighter only stores. Or forums with lighter collectors. But I think I'm close to finding this item. I've seen a few that are very close. Someone in the know could probably help.

It looks like a jet lighter. Is it seen lit in the movie?

Towards the end the guy character uses it as a lighter. And I believe Milly uses it as a lighter when the trick is revealed. I need to check the movie again.

I do think it's a jet or newer type of lighter that doesn't need the revolving wheel type strike mechanism like Zippo lighters. But then I'm not an expert on the types of lighters.

Jet lighters have a very distinctive flame. Unfortunateley I can't lay my hands on my copy of the DVD.

By jet you mean butane? That's what I'm thinking as there is a lever / button on the side. With the top open there is no wheel mechanism. I'll do a cap of the lighting scene but you never know if that was altered with effects or coloring. That's why I wasn't sure if it was a real lighter or make believe prop at first.

Half of the mission is accomplished. A friend of mine is better at searching than I am and found this old site.

http://www.geocities.jp/the_returners_2002/data06.html

The lighter is a Japanese Windmill Fielder lighter. I think they used the White Velor color in the movie. It's old now so Windmill's official United States or Japan stores don't have it anymore. Perhaps someone who lives in Japan can check lighter stores? I did find some online shops in Russia that claim to have the lighter. Is anyone here in Russia that can help? I don't think someone would make a fake lighter that is this old. The lighter should be about $40. I searched for United States services that help with Russian purchases but didn't find any. But at least we know what brand the lighter is now if anyone is still interested.

Attachments

• Windmill_Fielder_Lighter_in_White_Velor,_Silver,_Black_Velvet,_Black_Matte.jpg
    Windmill_Fielder_Lighter_in_White_Velor,_Silver,_Black_Velvet,_Black_Matte.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 93
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back