Returner Movie. Japanese Sci-fi. Milly's Lighter Prop Identification / Help.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Wakeem, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the type of lighter Milly has in the movie Returner? I searched a few places and can't find any screen caps. It's a cylindrical, most likely stainless steel piece. I don't know if it was a actual lighter or something made for the movie. Thanks.

2. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I bought that movie 5 years ago and never saw it yet. I'll see if i can manage some screen caps by this weekend.

3. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

I have the movie as well. I'll have to check out the lighter again. I have a couple of the clocks used to make the little pop-up computer but I never finished the conversion.

4. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

It's kind of a quirky Japanese sci-fi. It has mixtures of E.T. and The Terminator. I saw it a long time ago and I caught part of it on one of the premium channels a few days ago. Back when I saw it the only prop I was ever interested in was Luke's Return of the Jedi stunt lightsaber. Now thanks to this forum, I'm checking out all the props in movies!

I need to see the movie again. I only keyed on Milly's lighter and her wrist device that slows down time. Who had the pop-up computer?

If either of you guys could do screen caps that would be cool. I was going to search and see if there was a DVD/Blu-ray available.

5. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

Here's a couple of shots I just happen to already have on my computer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Milly had the computer.

6. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Are the drawings from the DVD? Also, what sort of clocks made the pop up computer?

7. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

Yes they are.

The clocks are a pop up clock and calculator combo. I have a link somewhere for them.

8. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Returner is on demand for a while now. Too bad the pause function is wonky. I'm still curious about that lighter. Any guesses on the brand?

9. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

It's been two years and I'm still looking for this lighter off and on. I forgot I started this topic but didn't add screen captures because I didn't have the movie then. Here are the only close ups in the movie. Anyone recognize the lighter?

Milly's_Lighter_Returner_01.JPG

Milly's_Lighter_Returner_02.JPG

Milly's_Lighter_Returner_03.JPG

10. Contec

Contec Master Member

Could be a model of a stormlighter..

11. eloven

eloven New Member

I'm not sure if it helps but I have seen a few flip-top cigar lighters that look similar but I couldn't find anything exact.
    -Ed

12. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find the company by looking in the credits. But some stuff is in Japanese. There should be a lighters in movies site out there. But I guess since the go to lighter is a Zippo maybe not.

13. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Anyone know of good sources for lighters? I'm not finding lighter only stores. Or forums with lighter collectors. But I think I'm close to finding this item. I've seen a few that are very close. Someone in the know could probably help.

14. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It looks like a jet lighter. Is it seen lit in the movie?

15. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

They look like the same one Gaius Baltar used in the miniseries for the RIS Battlestar Galactica, except heavily modified.

16. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Towards the end the guy character uses it as a lighter. And I believe Milly uses it as a lighter when the trick is revealed. I need to check the movie again.

I do think it's a jet or newer type of lighter that doesn't need the revolving wheel type strike mechanism like Zippo lighters. But then I'm not an expert on the types of lighters.

17. Birdie

Jet lighters have a very distinctive flame. Unfortunateley I can't lay my hands on my copy of the DVD.

18. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

By jet you mean butane? That's what I'm thinking as there is a lever / button on the side. With the top open there is no wheel mechanism. I'll do a cap of the lighting scene but you never know if that was altered with effects or coloring. That's why I wasn't sure if it was a real lighter or make believe prop at first.

19. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  20. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Half of the mission is accomplished. A friend of mine is better at searching than I am and found this old site.

http://www.geocities.jp/the_returners_2002/data06.html

The lighter is a Japanese Windmill Fielder lighter. I think they used the White Velor color in the movie. It's old now so Windmill's official United States or Japan stores don't have it anymore. Perhaps someone who lives in Japan can check lighter stores? I did find some online shops in Russia that claim to have the lighter. Is anyone here in Russia that can help? I don't think someone would make a fake lighter that is this old. The lighter should be about $40. I searched for United States services that help with Russian purchases but didn't find any. But at least we know what brand the lighter is now if anyone is still interested.

The Terminator and Kylash like this.
  21. Birdie

Best suggestion I can come up with is to keep your eye on Yahoo Auctions JP.

EDIT:

Try googling:
    Филдер зажигалка

Which is Russian for Fielder lighter. A quick
    search and there do seem to be Russian stores selling them.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  22. Kylash

Nice find!!

23. Kylash

24. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Do you speak Russian or just got that from a translator? Most of the Russian sites I went to don't post anything about International shipping.

25. Birdie

26. NomasterC

NomasterC New Member

I thought i nearly had this one here os a picture of my grandfathers old lighter which i thought was the one in the pics cue me diving into the box of old stuff under my desk only to find it was the wrong one here's some pics anyway.
    IMG_20160628_192458[1].jpg IMG_20160628_192508[1].jpg TBH this isn't even the one i was looking for there is another much the same with vertical corrigations that is slightly larger and looks just like it. sorry for pointless post got here to late with the wrong thing whoops.

27. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member