Return of the Jedi: Proton Grenade (Bunker Buster) - Scratch Build

zenx13

Well - I have 6 client orders to fill, a large commission for a friend to complete and about 6 unfinished projects of my own to work on - so...

A good time to start another personal project?

I have had the Star Wars - Return of the Jedi: Proton Grenade (Endor Bunker Buster) on my mind lately. I was at the dollar store getting supplies today when I saw a plastic container that was the perfect size.

I fashioned the beveled ring (rough cut) tonight and now the project is underway! This endeavour will be like my others - scratch built (no 3d printing) with the use of "found" objects like the container below. I will try to sneak time in between everything else going on so please bear with me.

Cheers!
/sean

A2D89E63-5E5B-43FB-BED7-E1BF92EBA4EB.jpg

D8917789-FF5B-4A3E-8C89-93B47145D150.jpg

A little more work on the Proton Grenade today:

Sanded the bevelled base and applied Mod Podge to give it some strength.

Printed out a diagram of the top area and transferred it to the prop using the "tried and true" carbon paper method:

01.JPG

02.jpg

Next was to drill a bunch of guide holes to be able to remove the pieces:

03.jpg

I used a Dremel with a number of different bits to remove the pieces:

04.jpg

Next was to create the recesses out of my fabulous Pink Foam! I mixed up some "DIY" filler (wood glue and baking soda) and filled in the gaps:

05.JPG

I am really enjoying this project and look forward to the next stage!

Cheers!
/sean

The inside housing for the ignition Switch was made from a thick cardboard tube and some heavy cardstock. The holes are essential for the main rod to pass through and will be used for all the mechanics.

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

DC6D50A3-FAD3-4B5B-8F27-685514650383.jpg

Lighting test for the 2 LED lights to be installed - happy with this set-up and I think the blinking lights will look really impressive.

IMG_2617.jpg

Testing the magnets on the bottom of the Proton Grenade - I think this may work but will depend on the weight of the inner components I still need to make.

IMG_2629.jpg

Here is a quick demo:

This next part has taken a considerable amount of thinking and planning.

I want my Proton Grenade to click and light up when the ignition switch is turned (OddViking has done something similar to what I was thinking).

I have constructed this housing to hold the internal components - it allows me to build all the internal items outside of the main housing making it easier to construct:

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

Trying a dry fitting to see if everything holds together:

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

Now I can move onto the internal components - should be interesting!

Great work!! I love to see these kind of scratch builds... especially with low cost materials. That kind of work really makes me proud. It really does look great.

I even like the clear shell in this interim stage, nice progress so far!
Thanks - I agree! I thought it would be interesting to keep it un-primed / painted for as long as I can so the inner workings can be seen. I appreciate the support!

Haven't had much time to work on this but finally got to it yesterday and it went really well!

I don’t know much about electronics so I found it easier to make my own circuit board from the breadboard test. I am sure there are far better ways of doing this but this solution worked for me.

Here is a quick video showing the new circuit board for the flashing LED lights:

I installed the new circuit board onto the interior housing and dry-fit the LED lights. Really pleased with the results! The blinking lights look great!

Here is a close up of my "janky" circuit board installed:

CBB6F080-AC28-498F-B83A-E8A06D99BCCB.jpg

And here is the project to date:

55A2FE3E-AA80-46CE-97F7-89F626154137.jpg

Next steps are to make a switch (rotating the rod) and a smaller battery pack than the test one I am using here!

Creation of the battery compartment to hold a adjusted LED Tea Light battery structure:

battery.jpg

Development of a twisting, switch mechanism to turn on the lights:

switch.jpg

Video of the switch testing:

Development of the inner switch / rocker assembly - this item has wood on the top and bottom to fasten it securely to the main shaft / rod:

switch1.jpg

Finished item:

switch2.jpg

Tapping the backing plate for the "clicker" mechanism:

clicker1.jpg

Here is what the "clicker" mechanism looks like once assembled:

clicker2.jpg

All the internal mechanisms have been installed and completed - a quick video testing the full component:

Development of the side vents:

01.jpg

I used HVAC Aluminum Foil Tape to provide the illusion the piece is made from metal.

02.jpg

Gluing the pieces together - can't have enough clamps!

03.jpg

And the finished part:

04.jpg

05.jpg

I am really happy this this part and feel it has a good metal feel - some weathering later on and it should be good for the replica prop.

A tough part of being a maker is successfully completing a part and then having to do it again as the prop has the same part in multiple locations!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back