Return of the Jedi: Proton Grenade (Bunker Buster) - Scratch Build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

zenx13

Well - I have 6 client orders to fill, a large commission for a friend to complete and about 6 unfinished projects of my own to work on - so...

A good time to start another personal project?

I have had the Star Wars - Return of the Jedi: Proton Grenade (Endor Bunker Buster) on my mind lately. I was at the dollar store getting supplies today when I saw a plastic container that was the perfect size.

I fashioned the beveled ring (rough cut) tonight and now the project is underway! This endeavour will be like my others - scratch built (no 3d printing) with the use of "found" objects like the container below. I will try to sneak time in between everything else going on so please bear with me.

Cheers!
/sean

A2D89E63-5E5B-43FB-BED7-E1BF92EBA4EB.jpg

D8917789-FF5B-4A3E-8C89-93B47145D150.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

zenx13

A little more work on the Proton Grenade today:

Sanded the bevelled base and applied Mod Podge to give it some strength.

Printed out a diagram of the top area and transferred it to the prop using the "tried and true" carbon paper method:

01.JPG

02.jpg

Next was to drill a bunch of guide holes to be able to remove the pieces:

03.jpg

I used a Dremel with a number of different bits to remove the pieces:

04.jpg

Next was to create the recesses out of my fabulous Pink Foam! I mixed up some "DIY" filler (wood glue and baking soda) and filled in the gaps:

05.JPG

I am really enjoying this project and look forward to the next stage!

Cheers!
/sean

zenx13

The inside housing for the ignition Switch was made from a thick cardboard tube and some heavy cardstock. The holes are essential for the main rod to pass through and will be used for all the mechanics.

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

DC6D50A3-FAD3-4B5B-8F27-685514650383.jpg

zenx13

Lighting test for the 2 LED lights to be installed - happy with this set-up and I think the blinking lights will look really impressive.

IMG_2617.jpg

zenx13

Testing the magnets on the bottom of the Proton Grenade - I think this may work but will depend on the weight of the inner components I still need to make.

IMG_2629.jpg

Here is a quick demo:

zenx13

This next part has taken a considerable amount of thinking and planning.

I want my Proton Grenade to click and light up when the ignition switch is turned (OddViking has done something similar to what I was thinking).

I have constructed this housing to hold the internal components - it allows me to build all the internal items outside of the main housing making it easier to construct:

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

Trying a dry fitting to see if everything holds together:

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

Now I can move onto the internal components - should be interesting!

13doctorwho

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Great work!! I love to see these kind of scratch builds... especially with low cost materials. That kind of work really makes me proud. It really does look great.

zenx13

I even like the clear shell in this interim stage, nice progress so far!
Thanks - I agree! I thought it would be interesting to keep it un-primed / painted for as long as I can so the inner workings can be seen. I appreciate the support!

zenx13

Haven't had much time to work on this but finally got to it yesterday and it went really well!

I don’t know much about electronics so I found it easier to make my own circuit board from the breadboard test. I am sure there are far better ways of doing this but this solution worked for me.

Here is a quick video showing the new circuit board for the flashing LED lights:

zenx13

I installed the new circuit board onto the interior housing and dry-fit the LED lights. Really pleased with the results! The blinking lights look great!

Here is a close up of my "janky" circuit board installed:

CBB6F080-AC28-498F-B83A-E8A06D99BCCB.jpg

And here is the project to date:

55A2FE3E-AA80-46CE-97F7-89F626154137.jpg

Next steps are to make a switch (rotating the rod) and a smaller battery pack than the test one I am using here!

zenx13

Creation of the battery compartment to hold a adjusted LED Tea Light battery structure:

battery.jpg

Development of a twisting, switch mechanism to turn on the lights:

switch.jpg

Video of the switch testing:

zenx13

Development of the inner switch / rocker assembly - this item has wood on the top and bottom to fasten it securely to the main shaft / rod:

switch1.jpg

Finished item:

switch2.jpg

Tapping the backing plate for the "clicker" mechanism:

clicker1.jpg

Here is what the "clicker" mechanism looks like once assembled:

clicker2.jpg

All the internal mechanisms have been installed and completed - a quick video testing the full component:

zenx13

Development of the side vents:

01.jpg

I used HVAC Aluminum Foil Tape to provide the illusion the piece is made from metal.

02.jpg

Gluing the pieces together - can't have enough clamps!

03.jpg

And the finished part:

04.jpg

05.jpg

I am really happy this this part and feel it has a good metal feel - some weathering later on and it should be good for the replica prop.

A tough part of being a maker is successfully completing a part and then having to do it again as the prop has the same part in multiple locations!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.