Ressikan Flute

The flute was a complete custom non playing Prop. Made of brass rod and alum. turned on a lath. The box was plexiglass sheet construction with plastic hinges. The details were 3 layers of styrene sheet hand cut to those shapes and glue on top of each other. The foam was black case foam with sliver spray on it.
Thank you, Mike!

I appreciate what you said. And I will try to get as close as I can to the prop. But, as I wrote before, I do not have a workshop or access to many tools. I have Hobby Lobby, Michael's and Amazon for supplies. I hope to end up with a playing replica flute. From what I have seen on Etsy what I end up with will certainly be better than what I have seen there.

- Leelan

Got to love it when the guy who helped make and handled the real one is told he is wrong about what it was made from and how it was made....lol

I never said Mike was wrong. Not intentionally. But I do not have a lathe or any tools for shaping aluminum.

I do have a penny whistle with the right number of holes. I have puttied over the seam on the underside and will paint it as close to golden brass as I can. I have figured out a way to paint the silver rings around the finger holes. I have chrome silver tape to simulate the silver tube section and the silver sides of the mouth piece. I also have white embroidery thread and a white tassle from Hobby Lobby.

The wooden box will have to do. I will have this weekend to finish cutting the shapes and gluing them on. Hopefully I will also be able to paint it. The only foam I could find in town was white foam for stuffing seat cushions. I can paint it black and then with silver/aluminum spray paint to match the pictures and what Mike said.

I can't think of what I might have said that was disrespectful. If I did I apologize.

I never said Mike was wrong. Not intentionally. But I do not have a lathe or any tools for shaping aluminum.

I do have a penny whistle with the right number of holes. I have puttied over the seam on the underside and will paint it as close to golden brass as I can. I have figured out a way to paint the silver rings around the finger holes. I have chrome silver tape to simulate the silver tube section and the silver sides of the mouth piece. I also have white embroidery thread and a white tassle from Hobby Lobby.

The wooden box will have to do. I will have this weekend to finish cutting the shapes and gluing them on. Hopefully I will also be able to paint it. The only foam I could find in town was white foam for stuffing seat cushions. I can paint it black and then with silver/aluminum spray paint to match the pictures and what Mike said.

I can't think of what I might have said that was disrespectful. If I did I apologize.
I take no offense. No harm No foul. I do understand that some will not have access to some of the tools I have. I am just putting the information out there to help. You can use it or not that is up you, The individual making something. Use what you have and make things as best as you can.
Just be Happy Building .

I take no offense. No harm No foul. I do understand that some will not have access to some of the tools I have. I am just putting the information out there to help. You can use it or not that is up you, The individual making something. Use what you have and make things as best as you can.
Just be Happy Building .
How did you get the taper using the lathe? Did you have a thick piece of brass and machine it down or was it a thinner piece heated up and formed over a die with a pressure wheel on the side? I have a lathe and am thinking about tackling this. It looks pretty thin all the way down so curious about the process to get the main bodies shape.

It was a solid rod of brass. you need to use the tail stock . Drill the end then remount and use the tail stock. Then step cut the brass until you are close to the shape. Then you can either do smaller steps or you can file it until smooth. Then drill your finger holes. You can also drill these before you step cut as well.

So its a pretty heavy prop then? How thick do you think the side walls of it were? ....If you remember....lol. Were the holes just filled with black paint and the reason it seems thinner then it is?

Thank you!! Looks like i need to get a piece of brass. One last question if i may, .....is it 2 pieces with the aluminum in the center or is the aluminum portion just a thin sleeve?

Thanks again Mike!!

I am making progress on the case. There are still a few sides to laminate.

006 smaller.jpg

I have had lots of help.

007 Helping smaller.jpg

- Leelan

OK. Here is the case so far.

009 smaller.jpg

Primed. Green base color. Over sprayed with Rustoleum Textured paint.

I don't think this is green enough. Tommorrow I will start sponging and weathering to try and get it closer to the prop. And it looks like I didn't go detailed enough with the leafing. Should have been smaller and lots more layering.

010 Reference.jpg

- Leelan

Working on the flute etc.
011.jpg

In the first image you see the foam padding painted black and then dusted with a silver metallic spray (Rustoleum.) Both have been sprayed silver and are drying in the sun.

The second image show my solution to the silver rings around the finger holes. This is a sheet of Avery Hole Reinforcements that I primed with Badger Stynylrez Black Primer and sprayed with Vallejo Air Chrome Silver. I had originally thought to use the Avery for masks but they left too much adhesive residue once removed from the metal flute. Cleaning it off would have removed the paint.

Lastly, here is my Penny Whistle primed in black and painted using Vallejo Air Bright Bronze. In the bottom left corner many of you might recognize Paul M Newitt's Starfleet Assembly Manual #1 from the '70's. (Yes. I am that old.)

I another half hour or so I will give the flute another coat of Bronze. I will let it sit overnight to fully cure before adding the "aluminum" ring tomorrow.

Now back to the case.

- Leelan

I just found this image from the Picard museum from the TV show (I think).

ST-Ressikan-Flute-Picard.jpg

Could this be a replica of the original prop? The tassle doesn't dangle as much as in the episode. And the finger holes are not lined in silver. I can't imagine that Picard would give this to a museum. It would be personally important to him having played it for fifty years on Ressik.

Prop 009.jpg

OK. Now I have to measure the tassle etc . . .

- Leelan

Last edited:
Of course it’s a replica and a bad one at that.

Comes as no surprise, it matches the show it is on

I just found this image from the Picard museum from the TV show (I think).

View attachment 1361622

Could this be a replica of the original prop? The tassle doesn't dangle as much as in the episode. And the finger holes are not lined in silver. I can't imagine that Picard would give this to a museum. It would be personally important to him having played it for fifty years on Ressik.

View attachment 1361623

OK. Now I have to measure the tassle etc . . .

- Leelan

OK. Here is where I stand as of today.

I need to bring out more definition on the top of the box. Then that will be done.

012 smaller.jpg

I dug a channel in the foam for the flute to fit in using a sanding drum and my Dremel tool.

013 smaller.jpg

I painted the channel black and then with silver and let it dry.

I masked off the areas on the flute and sprayed them with Vallejo Air Chrome and applied the chromed Avery pieces. A tad too big. But I am happy with them. I very much doubt that I could have made them as perfectly round without the Averys.

014 smaller.jpg

Now I will leave it alone for the paint to cure. Then I will apply a gloss sealer to the flute that will hopefully make it seem more metallic. I have heard my friends rave about how well the Vallejo metallic paints do with the Badger Stynylrez primers. We will see how well it does for me.

- Leelan

Does anybody know what kind of decorative knot is tied above the tassel? It's a tiny detail. But what the hell.

015 Knot.jpg

- Leelan

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back