innerlight_hd_152.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 128
  • latest.jpg
    latest.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 148
  • innerlight_hd_325.jpg
    innerlight_hd_325.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 152
That's what it felt like to me when I examined it.

Another member here said it was made out of brass when this topic came up months ago and I thought to myself if thats brass it's the lightest brass I have ever held! :lol

Sweet job on the Flute Sporak!

Man it sure looks like moderately worn brass on the screen. Does anyone have any idea what sort of finish you can apply to aluminum to make it look that good? It doesn't look like most spray jobs I've seen.

Thank you, Nick!

Those pictures are wonderful!

Now I must figure out how anal I want to be.

My flute is 29 cm long. The Factory Entertainment flute is 26.4.

Using your images the box looks to be 34.5 x 13 x 13 cm. That is supposing FE's flute is the same size as the prop. Otherwise, using my flute for scale, it might be 38 x 14 x 14. FE's box is 31.5 x 9 x 8. My box (Woodpile Rectangle Box from Hobby Lobby) is 34.3 x 10.5 x 9.5.

I think I will go with my box. The only change I will make is moving the hinges to the middle of the box. As it is the hinges are 6.5 cm from the bottom and 3 cm from the top. Then I have to replicate the finish. :lol:

Thank you for your help!

- Leelan

My flute is 29 cm long. The Factory Entertainment flute is 26.4.

Using your images the box looks to be 34.5 x 13 x 13 cm. That is supposing FE's flute is the same size as the prop. Otherwise, using my flute for scale, it might be 38 x 14 x 14. FE's box is 31.5 x 9 x 8. My box (Woodpile Rectangle Box from Hobby Lobby) is 34.3 x 10.5 x 9.5.

I think I will go with my box. The only change I will make is moving the hinges to the middle of the box. As it is the hinges are 6.5 cm from the bottom and 3 cm from the top. Then I have to replicate the finish. :lol:

The original flute and box went up for sale a while back, and the dimensions given for the box were 12½x3½x3½in. Note that auction dimensions like these vary in their accuracy from listing to listing, so take them with a grain of salt as it's entirely possible they are rounded off by +- 1/8 or 1/4 inch or so. But they give a good general idea.

If the 12.5" box length in the auction is accurate, that means the original flute was about 10.125" (~257 mm) based on screen caps.

I'd say your box seems more or less proportionally appropriate for the length of your penny whistle - both flute and box will be larger overall but they'll look in scale to each other!

phase pistol would you happen to still have your photos of the flute from SDCC 2006? Would be great to see them!

Thank you!

Hmmm. I bought a bronze/gold spray paint to finish the flute. I guess I should have bought copper. The images I could pull up on my phone at the store looked more golden than copper. And the flute looks gold in a few scenes in the episode. But, in most of these images, it is definitely copper.

I just finished splitting the box in half by cutting a section out of the bigger half and gluing it to the thinner top section. I don't have a workshop or a saw. But I do have a spare bedroom and a Dremel tool. I will let the glue set overnight. Tomorrow I will deal with the seam and the rough edges.

I puttied the seam on the flute with Apoxie after spraying it with Krylon primer grey. Sanding tomorrow. We will see how many repeats come after.

I don't know how I can make those raised silver flanges around the holes in the flute. I guess I will settle for bright silver paint.

- Leelan

Last edited:
I don't know how I can make those raised silver flanges around the holes in the flute. I guess I will settle for bright silver paint.
The grommet looking pieces were added for Nemesis, so you can leave them off for a TNG version! Check out the close-up from "Lessons" (first image in Nick's post) for a look at the simple flat pads. Could use discs of chrome vinyl/sticker material, or paint silver first and mask them with circles of tape before painting the brass color.

The grommet looking pieces were added for Nemesis, so you can leave them off for a TNG version! Check out the close-up from "Lessons" (first image in Nick's post) for a look at the simple flat pads. Could use discs of chrome vinyl/sticker material, or paint silver first and mask them with circles of tape before painting the brass color.

Thank you for confirming that, I just pulled up The Inner Light and Lessons and couldn't for the life of me find a scene with those on it. It honestly looks like just chrome tape to me, same with the side bars by the mouthpiece and the silver band. The episode footage hasn't convinced me that there's three-dimensionality to the side bars or the silver band either, so tape / stickers would work for me.

It looks brassy in the episodes to me, not coppery, I think that's just the way it's tarnished over time. Either that or they made a totally different one for Nemesis, but everything else seems to line up pretty well.

That's not the Christies flute, that's one of the replicas that used to be available. I'm pretty sure that's just a painted Clarke tin whistle.
You're right, MrWax. I can see that now. There is no square dent between the flute and the mouthpiece as there is in the filmed prop.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back