Ressikan Flute

Vallejo paint didn't work. Tried getting silver leaf and gold size from Michaels. They had the foil but not the adhesive. So I will try their gilding paint.

Got the leaf and size. It turned out better than any paint. But I am still not satisfied. My main peeve is the silver around the finger holes. I couldn't make them regular enough.

I may buy another flute and try again. But this is what I've got for now. I didn't bother with the white tassel and wrapping. If my next flute is better than this I will have that ready at hand.

Any suggestions?

- Leelan

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 122
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 120
Got the leaf and size. It turned out better than any paint. But I am still not satisfied. My main peeve is the silver around the finger holes. I couldn't make them regular enough.

I may buy another flute and try again. But this is what I've got for now. I didn't bother with the white tassel and wrapping. If my next flute is better than this I will have that ready at hand.

Any suggestions?

- Leelan
You might try using ultra-thin shim washers to line the holes. They're essentially pre-cut rings of foil.

Aluminum tape from a hardware store is a good option for the silver band.

So I stumbled on this thread a while back, and it gave me a great idea, but I didn’t want to post a reply until I had something to show.
BF42239A-9F7E-40C6-B41D-2E7C77AC35EE.jpeg

And here’s my flute! Very happy with how this has come out. I’d like to say thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread and shared their thoughts and ideas. It’s always great to hear from someone with firsthand experience of the prop, too. Absolutely invaluable!
Now for the story: At my wedding we had a family friend play “Inner Light” on the flute as an interlude. It’s my wife’s favorite episode of TNG, and it was fun to work our nerdy-ness into such an amazing day. Anyway, tomorrow is our anniversary (14th, in case you’re wondering) so I made this as a present for her.
I’ll post some pictures of the box when that’s done, too. If you have any questions, just ask!

That looks GREAT, good job! And playable too! I'm guessing a Clarke tin whistle, brass paint, and aluminum tape? How'd you get the circles around the holes so neat? Did you make the tassel or did you find one? What kind of paint?

Details man, details!

It is a Clarke D tin whistle. I filled the seam on the back with Bondo Spot Putty and sanded it smooth. The seam is still there, but much less pronounced. Also correct on the aluminum tape for the band and sides of the mouth piece.
4384ACD5-43D1-4E77-8E88-25A5E4D6A503.jpeg
As for paint, I primed then airbrushed the whole thing in Testors Metalizer Stainless Steel and clear coat. This would later prove to be a mistake.
19A01D47-367B-4A42-9E19-15BD9B896D32.jpeg

I used a circle template to draw two different sizes on masking tape. It’s very difficult to line up a circle on top of another circle you can’t see, so I used the negative of each mask first, then put the circles in the middle. When I peeled off the squares I had circles where I wanted them. That’s a long explanation of a simple process.
The color coat is Testors Pure Gold one coat lacquer spray.
Anyhow, I always forget that the Metalizers can’t be masked. Quite a bit of the steel came up with the masks, despite the clear coat. So, I had to go back in by hand and touch up both colors.
I picked up some white embroidery floss for the wrap, and a 10 pack of 3 inch tassels from Amazon (which I have spares of, if you want one let me know). And the rest, as they say, is history.
1FAEB4E4-1833-4DBE-AEC7-0754A2AF4EB6.jpeg
Thanks to everyone for the likes and the kind words!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back