Resin Wood Bark effect etc

Jordanbellamy

Im going back to a project i started last year , I'm going to mould & cast some tree branch pieces in resin, just wondering best ways to replicate the real wood effect on the cast resin pieces? ,

texture / paint effects / materials etc :)

Last edited by a moderator:
First I'd pigment the resin brown. Once cured I'd paint thin washes of colour all over them and then do some dry brushing.

Check out URE-FIL Urethane Fillers, from Smooth-On. Specifically URE-FIL 5, which is designed for "wood" effects. They also have a video showing an example project, using the material.

The hunting forum I belong to people use caulk to get the tree bark texture on their trail cams and it looks just like bark. Don't know if this helps

Thanks for that i will check it out :) , the video on there site?

Sorry, yes, that's correct. I think they are hosted on YouTube, so could search there too. But if you go to the URE-Fil product page on Smooth-on's site, they are at the bottom. This holds true for most of their products.

Sorry, yes, that's correct. I think they are hosted on YouTube, so could search there too. But if you go to the URE-Fil product page on Smooth-on's site, they are at the bottom. This holds true for most of their products.

Thanks i found it :) looks great material.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back