Resin Casts

Everything you learned in that "tutorial" you need to forget immediately. I don't know why on earth everyone on this board still suggests this method. That silicone is NOT a mold making silicone. It is an acetoxy which can cause problems for the "mold" and any and every piece you pull from it. There is a reason his final piece looks like crap.

Mold making silicones are usually tin silicone, but some people do use platinum. Watch these two videos, and check out the two channels posted below. It covers very very basic techniques all the way to advanced mold making.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothOnInc

https://www.youtube.com/user/brickintheyard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEVi0mEaJJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jDaZX6PCk

If you have something specific you'd like molded I'd be more than happy to walk you through, step by step, how to do it correctly. Post photos if you can, and let me know what you want the final material to be.

Question... my obsession is the Winter Soldier and I was wondering how in the world would you cast an arm- as in his prosthetic left arm? Do I make a sculpt of my arm, then cast it?

What would be best for flexibility vs paintability? The movie has urethane for high shine close ups but is stiff (I've read), and the foam rubber for action shots (more range of motion-- I believe the stunt doubles wore them), but less of a shiny finish.

I'm good at sculpting, but casting... no clue.

Thanks!

Kcail1

Using tube (single pack) silicone is cheap, $15 by volume compared with liquid (two pack) $80. The cheap method is fine for small craft type pieces with low accuracy and that's why some people use it....price and lite detail results. I've seen some very detailed results, but it's the price and sometimes availability that people like.

Youtube is the best place to learn, just type in Smooth On.

Hey guys thanks for the help sorry I didn't respond sooner it didn't tell me anyone replied. I wanna start small then work my way up. I wanna to try to make casts of this arrow head to be safe at cons
5520002_1.jpg

Hey guys thanks for the help sorry I didn't respond sooner it didn't tell me anyone replied. I wanna start small then work my way up. I wanna to try to make casts of this arrow head to be safe at cons
View attachment 424343

I'm def no expert when it comes to casting but I would say for the price and for the size of the project you are doing... go for the cheap method you listed... you can also search for oogoo on youtube. Especially if its just a one off that you are using for a con. Let us know how it goes either way... i always love posts about mold making

Using tube (single pack) silicone is cheap, $15 by volume compared with liquid (two pack) $80.

Youtube is the best place to learn, just type in Smooth On.

I don't know where you buy your silicone but the average 2lb kit is $30. Little shy of $80...

"Tube silicone" as you refer to it is $12 at my local hardware store. $30 for quality molding silicone vs $24 for about the same (a little more) amount of silicone that isn't meant for molding.

Factor in the probability of the resin having issues in the acetoxy silicone and ask whether or not $6 is worth it.

I don't know where you buy your silicone but the average 2lb kit is $30. Little shy of $80..

It's call Australia...that's where I buy it. You Americans are so lucky:lol 1kg silicone is $30 and a semi automatic weapon is $300 at Walmart;)

Everything is super expensive here because we are a small population, 1kg of two pack platinum silicone is $72 dollars and tin silicone is $52, still way more expensive that the $15 I quoted...I actually said that tube silicone had it's merits, which it does considering the price difference here.

It's call Australia...that's where I buy it. You Americans are so lucky:lol 1kg silicone is $30 and a semi automatic weapon is $300 at Walmart;)

Everything is super expensive here because we are a small population, 1kg of two pack platinum silicone is $72 dollars and tin silicone is $52, still way more expensive that the $15 I quoted...I actually said that tube silicone had it's merits, which it does considering the price difference here.

Move to 'murica? We have plenty of guns for you! :lol

The OP is in America, therefor my prices are more accurate. A 2lb kit of tin silicone is $30, and that's with shipping (for me at least. may be more further away since my Reynolds Advanced Materials is only a few hours away.) making the price very comparable to an acetoxy silicone by volume. (Or "Tube Silicone", as you like.)

I can't reiterate the problems you may run into using acetoxy for mold making. It let's off acetic acid (acetoxy, acetic acid. get it?) and secretes copious amounts of oils and solvents. They disturb resins. The $6 you'd save (in America) is null if you waste $10 bucks of uncured resins.

If you want to use it, sure. Use it. Be very aware however, that just because they share the term silicone does not make them equal. You may argure it has merits, but I'm going to argue it absolutely doesn't.

At the end of the day, you can do something cheap, or you can do something right. All I'm saying is you'll have a lot more problems trying to make acetoxy do a tin silicone's job.

So, it's been a year...and I'm planning on upping the Winter Soldier costume I've made by replacing the worbla encased foam rigid arm ("cast"), with a flexible sleeve. I was thinking of sculpting in clay, making a mold (hydro cal), then running the sleeve in foam latex. Any suggestions on materials and techniques would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back