Resin Casting

IMFletcher

I would like to try my hand at my first resin cast for a utility belt project I am working on. Can anyone help me out and point me at a good beginners tutorial or what products I need to start? I have seen some really great and talented shapping and casting done on here!

Fletch

Hi Fletch

I'm very new to casting too and being a member here has tought me much. Time for some extencive research methinks :thumbsup

Smooth-on do a great series of video tutorials for just about any mould/casting materials combos you can think of. Check them out on YouTube, it's what I did. Actually, YouTube has loads of usefull vids of that sort. I watched hours of tutorials, it's really interesting to see the process in action.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure that any member here with casting experiance would be willing to answer them (I certainly have).

One thing that seams to crop up a lot is "always use a release agent, even if the label says its self releasing". Good luck with it all, and hope to see some of your work in the future :thumbsup

Yes, Smooth-On's Youtube channel is a great resource. Also search Youtube for Brick In The Yard, lots of great info from them too.

... "always use a release agent, even if the label says its self releasing"...
Ditto that!

As a tip, start with a small project first, so that way you don't make mistakes that would cost you $$$ in the end.

Find something cheap at a 99 cent store that is made of plastic (or is durable, like a cheap toy). And learn to make a mold of it (silicone or rtv mold).

Smooth-on of course is a great resource.

I have to support the rest here in recommending the Smooth-on videos, also some Smooth-on distributors have clinics you can attend and get hands on experience with their products. That all depends on if there is one near to you that does those . I have also found as others have said, that even when using a silicone mold that does not require a release agent, using one anyways does help, and will make the mold last longer too. Good luck !!

ALWAYS USE A MOLD RELEASE!!!

P1030127.jpg

As a tip, start with a small project first, so that way you don't make mistakes that would cost you $$$ in the end.

Find something cheap at a 99 cent store that is made of plastic (or is durable, like a cheap toy). And learn to make a mold of it (silicone or rtv mold).

Smooth-on of course is a great resource.
I did two learning experiences when I got started.

1. Got some Super Sculpy and made a small half brain. I haven't worked with any sort of clay since the 70's. So I got to play around with sculpting.
  2. Then I made a simple mold of it using a Smooth-On starter kit. I've used it to make a few brain refrigerator magnets for friends and family.
The brownish-pinkish one is the master made out of sculpy and the white one is the very first casting.
brainandmold.jpg

Those tips and pics are a huge help. I will post pics of my first build as I begin. I have looked at Smooth-on's website. I am slowly making my way through this. I think I will try a small item first and see what happens.

Amazon also sells the smooth-on casting kits which contain most of what you would need (minus paper towels, mixing cups, stirring rods, etc...) To get started, the cool thing about those kits is that they come with a DVD that has some very nice tutorials.

And as another poster already stated.. USE MOLD RELEASE!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back