Resin casting - what clay to use for molds?

I don't mean to resurrect a dead thread, but I would like to know people's experience with the inverse of the OP question. If I use Clay as the sculpting material, is it okay to use clay to fill the mold box? I imagine it sticking and ruining the sculpt. Or is it simply a difference in clay "stiffness" that will protect me from such a problem?

You can use cheap normal water based clay but be sure to seal it with a clear coat (ordinary spray can) so water and sulphur doesn't inhibit the cure of resin or silicone.

It worked totally fine for me.

I use monstermakers oil based & water based clay. I like the water base because its much easier to sculpt with. The oil based doesnt dry out but needs to be heated to work well in cold temp. areas.

Klean Klay

I have purchased some Klean Klay, can I use it to make the mold for an object and pour resin directly into it....? Or do I have to use something else to make a cast first...? :confused

Thanks

Kelso

I have purchased some Klean Klay, can I use it to make the mold for an object and pour resin directly into it....? Or do I have to use something else to make a cast first...? :confused

Thanks

Kelso

Depends... As it's a loaded question... There are several way to mold and cast things, not one single right or wrong way or single right or wrong product for every application...

So yeah you can smash a piece into clay, pull it out and then cast a part in the squished clay... Not the best option most of the time but it works for down and dirty quick casting...

Clay can be used lots of ways, to build up a part, to sculpt a part, to make walls or what not when casting, to squish molding or to plug a hole...

Another great Clay to use is "Van Aken Clay" which you can find at any "Michaels" Art supply store, it has No Sulfur in it and does not react to any Silicone at all. It's cheap, smooths easily with Lighter Fluid, and easy to use for anything.

I've used it for more than 4 years straight at a company where we used various brands of Silicone with No problems at all.

I use water clay, as it is easy and quick to apply, easy to slice through and put a box around. Silicone RTV likes moisture, so it is not a problem. It is also easy to clean off the model.

All other clays mentioned will also work fine.

I have not used clay since the mid 90's.
You make your master correctly and the need for clay is eliminated.
I don't make parting lines with an xacto either.

Rubber cement and poster board.

I'm looking to sculpt and sculpt a monster head about 3-4 times larger than a human head.

I'm looking for the best clay for the money that I can later mould with silicone.

Cost is a factor due to the sheer size, I'll probably build up a base out of foam glued to plywood just to save on volume?

Any thoughts?

I use Plasticine that I got from the school my wife teaches at. Anything the kids get has to be "safe to eat". I ran a small test first up and found no re-actions, and so have continued to use to this day. Plasticine can be a bit hard at time (especially in these cooler months we are having now down under) and I either place it in the microwave for up to 60 seconds or leave it out in the sun for 30min. Once heated, it become very soft and easy to work. Once it cools, it goes back to original hardness it was.

I use the cheap kids modeling clays that are sulfur free.

Haven't seen a reaction with any silicone yet (6 years of use in molding little bits and scenic pieces for wargaming).

Plays nice with smooth-on products and is cheap.

Neropost :)

I use monster clay, it's soft when heated but hard when it cools and the additional wax they put in it makes it easy for me to smooth out.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back