Resin Casting Vacuum Chamber and Pressure Pot

I have two paint pots from Harbor Freight. They're really good for small parts. I'm still looking for a larger chamber so I can cast large items so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

:)

I just picked up a second one from Harbor Freight last night.

I really need something that is at least three feet deep and lays on its side instead of standing up.

:\

I have talked with an engineer about the pressure vs. Cubic inches of volume and the bottom line is the larger your chamber the less pressure you can put on it if it is the same gauge steel.

When you increase the thickness of the steel you also have a limit on how much pressure the rubber seal on the lid can hold.

The solution is a reverse sealing lid. The pressure needs to push the seal closed. On most paint pots clamps hold the lid and work against the pressure. In larger units you need to have a lid that folds in. That way the pressure inside pushes on the seal and makes it stronger as pressure increases.

Another aspect to larger chambers is they need to be cylinders. Making a chamber square puts to much stress on welds. This theory is proven in liquid containers. A square water tower just does not work.

If you want to construct your own large chamber, you must not use cast iron pipe. Steel is the only solution. Hit a cast iron pipe the a hammer and it will shatter. Hit a steel pipe and depending on the type of steel it will either bounce or dent, but still retain its integrity. Cast Iron pipe under pressure equals a fragmentation grenade.

I am working on a 3 foot steel tube as well and I can tell you there are large dangers involved. If not built properly say goodbye to your house.

Originally posted by blufive@Jan 25 2006, 10:19 PM

I really need something that is at least three feet deep and lays on its side instead of standing up.

:\
[snapback]1168387[/snapback]​

Now I'm going to be watching this thread with interest. I want to make sure I live at least 500 miles away from the guy who fires that one up for the first time. :D

Google "pneumatic gun"

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back