Limited Run Resin Cast Thermoptic Pistol - Ghost In The Shell - 2nd Run Interest List

I would also be interested but would need to see the transparent casts first. this is such a tricky prop and I'm a very picky person. speaking of picky, since you are mentioning you had access to great references, were those references a different gun that we don't know of? you are showing the one picture from the side that we know and there are a lot of differences from your model, especially in the grip area. Just curious if you had access to a different gun and the one from this picture is actually a placeholder for an exhibition or something.

Thanks for the question. I believe the above prop was a one of a few screen-used props. We definitely know there were several made and yes there are subtle differences between this one and the other references we have. One even has silver rivets which we considered offering as an option. However, no doubt collectors will be looking for something close to the prop as it appears on screen, rather than a variant production made piece. So we opted to exclude these variations.

Regarding accuracy, this is always a tricky (and sometimes touchy) subject as often beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As mentioned the above model is not the final version and tweaks included getting that blimmin grip line right, which I assume you are referring to. Of course, while our goal is to make this offering as accurate as possible, I’m sure it won’t be a 100% perfect copy of the original. Perhaps I need to change this threads title to “as close to screen accurate as we can make it” :p ;)

We are more than confident that this will be by far the closest replica available to date. We will post pics of the finished design once completed and rendered. We’ll also post pics of the SLA printed model and of course clear resin parts as soon as we have them in hand.

Just an FYI they will be tinted and frosted clear resin pieces, degassed then cured in a pressure pot. (y)

Last edited:
Hi,

I would be interested in joining in this run as well.

Just two more questions:

What will be the approx. weight of this gun (without bullets)?
Will you be sending theses guns from Canada to the rest of the world then?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I would be interested in joining in this run as well.

Just two more questions:

What will be the approx. weight of this gun (without bullets)?
Will you be sending theses guns from Canada to the rest of the world then?

Many thanks.

Hmmm, good question reg weight. To be honest I’m not sure I can answer this with any accuracy until we have it in hand. We have a solid resin Glock (used for early development), but being solid will be far heavier as our replica is mostly hollow. The closest I have is the test kit, but being 3D printed it will be substantially lighter than what the cast resin parts will be. So I’m not really able to answer that just yet. But let me know if you’d like the weight of the test kit and I’ll weigh it when we get back (away for Christmas).

Yes, final product will be shipped worldwide from Canada.

Something to add regarding eethan 's question... one of the problems we had to work out was how to remove the mag, being that the original prop has no mag release button. Because we didn't want to add a button we opted for magnets to hold the mag in place. Obviously these will need to be quite strong as the mag will be rather heavy when filled with rounds. Of course when the mag is empty, it would be very hard to remove from the grip and next to impossible in it's current design, without shoving something in there to wrench it out. The reference material we have show that other versions included a thumb-tab for mag removal, which we have added to our model. We concluded that the prop on display (shown above) has the mag glued in place (thus no need for the thumb-tab) but we prefer to have our mag removable.

gFmOnQb.jpg

Nice to hear the clear parts are being (lightly?) tinted and frosted, this will come close to the original. I would love to see some metal parts too! A metal barrel that size should not be that expensive though...

Nice to hear the clear parts are being (lightly?) tinted and frosted, this will come close to the original. I would love to see some metal parts too! A metal barrel that size should not be that expensive though...

Yes, “lightly” is the plan. Metal would be great, I agree. If someone is keen to machine some barrels for this run that would be awesome. ;)

OP updated with final design renders.

There are 3 changes that will be made by hand to the resin master...
- adjust front and rear sights
- create beveled edge on front of rail plate
- create more curve on the front of the grip shell (at the bottom of the grip)

Last edited:
hey, would you mind posting at least one ref from the side of the gun version you reproduced? It's a bit weird I think for people to buy a replica of a gun they never saw. :)

hey, would you mind posting at least one ref from the side of the gun version you reproduced? It's a bit weird I think for people to buy a replica of a gun they never saw. :)

Sorry if I haven’t been clear, but the goal here is to produce something very close to the screen-used prop, not a production made variant. So while our other reference material has been very helpful in confirming details, we aren’t producing anything different than the formentioned. While the finished 3D model is close, there are some tweaks to make which will be made to the resin master (described above). We will of course keep this post updated as we progress so those interested will see exactly what they are getting. Hope that clarifies things.

Update:
Slight change of plan, we made the above changes to the 3D model itself prior to printing the master.

Front sight, rear sights and rail plate...

FCfM7qc.jpg

KJEMUmA.jpg

4liKvse.jpg

And we rounded out the bottom of the grip shell...

NjyPgir.jpg

Any further tweaks will be done to the printed resin master.

Another change of plan (for the better), the resin master will now be printed by the amazing JOATRASH FX. Many of you know his work and how clean his prints are. Super stoked to have him involved in this part of the project. (y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back