resin and sticky tape, need advice

LeMarchand

Sr Member
I am currently working on a piece which has 2 holes in it. I intend to fill them up with clear resin with leds installed. I read somewhere that you can use tape to close the openings and pour the resin in, but....

wont the resin bond with the tape and leave a tacky surface on the cured resin?

thanks,

Marc

Depends on what kind of tape you´re using ;)

I did it myself and if the tacky side of the masking, carpet or duct-tape is facing against the resin, you WILL be able to remove it easily.

Just don´t try this beige paper-like painting tape...won´t work :rolleyes

Markus

Marc, why don´t you just use a stip of styrene to close the opening on the bottom ? The piece of course should be larger than the opening, and hence you can fixate it with tape around the edges. So instead of pouring the clear resin against the sticky tape side, you pour against the styrene, or even better a piece of sheet metal. IMO the advantage is a presumably smooth surface. If the openings edges are not completely level, and any sheet of covering material can´t sit flush to the openings edges, then you could use some playdoh, or for smaller areas some spirit gum as a means to even out the space inbetween the opening and the covering material. Just my 2 euro cents ;)

Or a piece of cellophane cut to the right size and then stuck to the covering duct tape ?

Michael

I'd go with the styrene sprayed with some mold release (just in case). Should get a flat finished surface with no tack....

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back