Resident Evil: Retribution - Alice

pinder91

Sr Member
Since I don't already have enough projects on my plate, why not start another Alice thread?

I really dig the Selene-esque look of this costume, and loved the movie, so let's dive in.

The first thing I really noticed were the buckles all over this thing. I immediately thought Moto-X boot buckles. After just a couple minutes on google I found them!
2009_Fox_Racing_Comp_5_Boots.jpg

These buckles are used on the Mens F3, F3R, and Comp 5 boots by Fox Racing. The Womens boots appear to use the same base buckle, but the grip/thumb tab has the wrong markings, and is bright pink.

The good news, at the moment, is that you can buy sets of replacement buckles. But how many do you need?

Throughout the costume, these buckles are butted up next to each other.

The boots...

have 7 pair in the front, and 7 pair in the back. That is 56 total buckles on just the boots.
milla-jovovich-resident-evil-retribution.jpeg

tumblr_matz5gNFUi1rhvfdpo2_400.png

There are 10 pair on the spine, totalling another 20 buckles.
res-evil.jpg

Alice's arms have another pair around the upper arm, and 1 buckle on the back of her hand. This makes for another 6 buckles.
Resident-Evil-Retribution-Wallpaper-01-750x468.jpg

Finally, there are 4 pair on the corset, and another pair at each armpit/shoulder area. These add another 12 buckles.
ResidentEvilRetribution.jpg

The grand total... 56 + 20 + 6 + 12 = 94 individual buckles! At least they aren't custom.

Now, how about the boots themselves? I would guess modified off-the-shelfers. After watching the film, the boots definitely did not have a lug sole.
Resident-Evil-Retribution-Poster-33.jpg

Anyone else working on one? The last film had crazy wardrobe auctions going on. I haven't seen anything for this film yet.

I initially wrote that first posting about 3 weeks ago, but I wanted to make sure I could track down the proper buckles before I let the cat out of the bag. Not like they were hard to identify.

Anyway, replacement buckle sets come with 8 buckles. This would call for 12 sets of replacement buckles to have enough for the costume. RIDICULOUS!!! I did some research and found that they are now on backorder from Fox and they aren't sure when to expect more. So I snatched up 12 sets from the place that gave me the best price...

This is what 12 replacement buckle sets look like.
IMG01988-20120927-2124.jpg

IMG01989-20120927-2124.jpg

Of course I had to immediately open one up and check out the merchandise. Just to get a glimpse of what is to come.
IMG01985-20120927-2109.jpg

IMG01987-20120927-2122.jpg

I couldn't really tell from photos, but I was expecting the buckles themselves to be a brushed finish aluminum. They are definitely cast aluminum. Surface finish is almost like a rough media blast. Now that the costume is on display in Japan, I can see that the finish matches. I'm a happy camper.

I want the buckles because they look cool, and if it matters or not, I'm a guy and I still want the buckles! Good luck on the costume, this will be cool to watch come together.

Thanks. I'm a dude, but I absolutely love the Alice character! And I really love the progression of the costume designs. I don't think I could pick a favorite.

I'll be putting this one, and the others, together on a Milla sized mannequinn. It's probably going to take quite some time, but at least I've got the "time critical" part out of the way. I can't imagine Fox will be using the same style buckles for much longer. And while I could probably use almost any wedge heel boots, I'd love to know the real brand of the base boot. The rest is easy enough.

Where did u buy the buckles I'm trying to recreate this costume as well and I'm not having any luck. The replacement buckles are 18 to 20 bucks a pop! That's almost 200 bucks just for the buckles... any ideas?

I got them from a seller on ebay. Got a very slight discount since I bought in bulk, but that's basically what I paid. Fox won't give any discount unless you are a retailer, and they don't have any in stock at the moment anyway. Retailers cost is apparently $14 per set, so they're still pretty costly.

Thankfully, as far as this costume goes, the buckles are the bulk of the expense.

Oh, wow I'm so happy to see this. The entire time I was watching the movie all I could think is that I need to make that costume but I have so little time so I will live vicariously through your build.

Oh, wow I'm so happy to see this. The entire time I was watching the movie all I could think is that I need to make that costume but I have so little time so I will live vicariously through your build.

HA! This is definitely going to take quite some time. Between working on an Extinction costume, Afterlife costume, this, ANH Han, Iron Man, helping work on a foam Stormtrooper, some 1:6 scale figure customs, a million other prop related projects, trying to finish my final semester of school, and job hunting, I wouldn't be surprised if this takes well over 2 years. :facepalm

HA! This is definitely going to take quite some time. Between working on an Extinction costume, Afterlife costume, this, ANH Han, Iron Man, helping work on a foam Stormtrooper, some 1:6 scale figure customs, a million other prop related projects, trying to finish my final semester of school, and job hunting, I wouldn't be surprised if this takes well over 2 years. :facepalm

Good Luck re-creating this! I can't wait to see the end product!

I would like to do a simplified version of this for Halloween - which is to say, not spend $180+ on these buckles (if there are any left - I think you definately got the last batch from what I can tell!) - what I am going to end up having to do is make them, probably with EVA foam, because I won't even have time to order anything from ebay...but I really have no idea of what SIZE these things are - since you have the actual buckles, could you tell me the size of one of them? *fingers crossed*

-queenmaab
:)

Thanks! I definitely feel like I paid too much for these buckles, but at the same time I'm trying to look at them as the bulk expense of the costume. I hope this picture helps.

IMG02044-20121013-1522.jpg

Let me know if you need anything else. I'm happy to help.

Yes, thank you so much! That definately helps - and it's a good picture of the finish - I can definately see it all quite clearly. :)

The buckles would definately be the bulk of the cost, yes, but still way out of my budget. LOL

Now I just have to figure out the best plan for making them. I am hoping to use elastic to make bands or "bracelets" to make everything as temporary as possible - I bought new boots and I'd like to actually wear them again after....not to mention the running shirt and yoga pants I am using to replace the cat suit.

Hoping to work on the corset today...Halloween weekend is only HOW many days away? EEK!

Just been looking for some of these buckles and finding them on google search from the UK is pretty painful. I found the actual site that was mentioned but as you said their still out of stock. I want this costume so bad and planning on doing it once the movie has come out so I can get some better reference pictures then what is currently available.

Just been looking for some of these buckles and finding them on google search from the UK is pretty painful. I found the actual site that was mentioned but as you said their still out of stock. I want this costume so bad and planning on doing it once the movie has come out so I can get some better reference pictures then what is currently available.

Have you tried ordering directly from Fox or are they still out of stock?

I snagged mine from a seller on ebay. Though I'm guessing you've already checked there. Try getting in touch with Fox directly. Their customer service people were very friendly.

I have spotted a few on ebay but the shipping to the UK is almost as much as the actual buckles and for obviously the amount you need if that is then doubled becomes very very expensive. I'll see about sending an email to Fox though and see what happens

ETA: Managed to get hold of the Fox company in the USA who gave me the number for Fox Europe and from that managed to find their email address. Have sent them an email and now just waiting on a reply.

ETA 11 Dec: Got a reply from the Europe store and this is what I got:

"We do sell the NS Instinct/F3R/F3/Comp5 Buckle Kit Black NS (modelnumber 03847-008-ns)

This set fits the f3 f3r and comp 5 boots. The set is available in BLACK. You can ask a FOX dealer in your neighbourhood to order them for you.
Unfortunately this set is not available at this moment on our FOX webshop."

So going to do another good search now I have the model number. I've brought up one store and have sent them an email and going to see if there's any Fox dealers near me.

Last edited:
Here's hoping you can find some. I suppose just one set would do if you have the ability/desire to cast up quite a few copies.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back