Researching A New Hope DL-44 - Where to start?

So, I’m currently waiting on my Denix Mauser and a kit from Blaster Factory, and I’m looking into what I need/want to do to get it accurate enough for my liking. Frankly, I’m a little overwhelmed by the more than a decade’s worth of discussion. Can anyone point me toward a place to start as far as decent reference material goes? And, like, is there a general consensus these days on which parts have been solidly figured out and which ones are still being debated or you just can’t be sure about one way or another? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Try this!

Try this!
Thanks! That’s definitely a good start. It’s a little light on ANH stuff, though.

Thanks! That’s definitely a good start. It’s a little light on ANH stuff, though.
I suggest this thread for an abundance of detailed info and pics
it’s a daunting prospect to read through such a huge thread, but you’ll come away with a wealth of info

Yea, I agree, it's worth it. The ANH gun was just a regular mauser with a rifle barrel and class 3 flash hider that came from the rental company. They installed a new scope bracket (after a couple attempts probably) and the SW team decorated it. Most greeblies probably came off, but the model airplane parts on the front and some of the front sight stayed attached.

I suggest this thread for an abundance of detailed info and pics
it’s a daunting prospect to read through such a huge thread, but you’ll come away with a wealth of info

Yeah. It’s a beast of a thread, but I’ll just have to jump in. It sucks that some of the early pictures don’t seem to be hosted anymore.

Yeah. It’s a beast of a thread, but I’ll just have to jump in. It sucks that some of the early pictures don’t seem to be hosted anymore.
Photbucket ! :devil:

A lot of the early pics and details have been reposted later on. The details of the final prop are pretty much all figured out now except what exactly happened to the original but I believe the speculation is pretty close and clear.

The good news is a lot of the early speculation and trial and error for the parts are figured out now so better more accurate info is available later in the thread.

Have fun with your build.!

You might try searching the RPF for threads showing other peoples builds for inspiration on how they made their replicas, how they solved for any problems they had, and maybe some reference photos they may have posted in their own threads.

Photbucket ! :devil:

A lot of the early pics and details have been reposted later on. The details of the final prop are pretty much all figured out now except what exactly happened to the original but I believe the speculation is pretty close and clear.

The good news is a lot of the early speculation and trial and error for the parts are figured out now so better more accurate info is available later in the thread.

Have fun with your build.!

Like, how much later? Lol. I’ve started from post 1 and it’s definitely interesting to see all the speculation and sleuthing, but I’ve yet to come across anything concrete.

You might try searching the RPF for threads showing other peoples builds for inspiration on how they made their replicas, how they solved for any problems they had, and maybe some reference photos they may have posted in their own threads.
Yeah. That’s one thought I had. That’s what I did when I was looking for Proton Pack reference images. It was perfect because they took great pictures of the specific things they tried to get just right.

Like, how much later? Lol. I’ve started from post 1 and it’s definitely interesting to see all the speculation and sleuthing, but I’ve yet to come across anything concrete.
The ANH blaster is pretty much cooked as far as accuracy is concerned. All the unique parts have been detailed exactly and replicated in the steel DEC kit no longer available unfortunately.
Other makers kits are ok and should serve your purpose.

Finishing to your desired detail level or condition is a choice you need to make.

Lots of fine builds detailed in the later pages of the thread but the history of discovery can only be appreciated when you dive in !

The ANH blaster is pretty much cooked as far as accuracy is concerned. All the unique parts have been detailed exactly and replicated in the steel DEC kit no longer available unfortunately.
Other makers kits are ok and should serve your purpose.

Finishing to your desired detail level or condition is a choice you need to make.

Lots of fine builds detailed in the later pages of the thread but the history of discovery can only be appreciated when you dive in !
I can get pretty fussy with details and accuracy. My first post here was my build of the Mandalorian blaster, which I picked up on a whim and then kept finding ways to make it more accurate. So much filing… lol.

There is absolutely no question as to where one should start. If you want to build a ANH Hero this is the one (and only) place you need to go..

->HERE!<-

Probably the best read on the interweb with regards to this beloved blaster.

As mentioned here is some mods to the denix I’ve done myself over the years. I’m always trying to improve myself so this is an ever growing list but I do think it can help answer some questions and hopefully inspire one to go their own way..

I would suggest quickly glancing them all before deciding what direction to go in urself as I’ve improved upon some things and change a few others over time..

basic Denix mods everyone can do

mag plate details template

extraction mark details

upgrading your Denix grips and trigger guard

finished modified denix (pre trigger, hammer and lock frame replication)

lock frame for Denix

sliding the upper half of the denix forward

proxxon micro mill details

naked modified denix HERO (#562 finished pictures)

This last link is where you can get an STL file to go and print up your own hammer/trigger/extraction mark if desired. Should be within the Hero files I believe and I highly recommend using SLS or MJF prints for those. JawsTec or shapeways will print them for you. I have no affiliation with either so that’s up to you. Shapeways prints are always pretty much perfect while JawsTec is much more affordable fyi.

STL files for triggers, hammers, extraction marks.. etc

Any questions let me know and I’ll try to answer them. Enjoy the process!

Last edited:
As mentioned here is some mods to the denix I’ve done myself over the years. I’m always trying to improve myself so this is an ever growing list but I do think it can help answer some questions and hopefully inspire one to go their own way..

I would suggest quickly glancing them all before deciding what direction to go in urself as I’ve improved upon some things and change a few others over time..

basic Denix mods everyone can do

mag plate details template

extraction mark details

upgrading your Denix grips and trigger guard

finished modified denix (pre trigger, hammer and lock frame replication)

lock frame for Denix

sliding the upper half of the denix forward

proxxon micro mill details

naked modified denix HERO (#562 finished pictures)

This last link is where you can get an STL file to go and print up your own hammer/trigger/extraction mark if desired. Should be within the Hero files I believe and I highly recommend using SLS or MJF prints for those. JawsTec or shapeways will print them for you. I have no affiliation with either so that’s up to you. Shapeways prints are always pretty much perfect while JawsTec is much more affordable fyi.

STL files for triggers, hammers, extraction marks.. etc

Any questions let me know and I’ll try to answer them. Enjoy the process!
Thank you so much! I actually have a resin printer, which comes in pretty handy for random greeblies for projects. I’ve also got experience with Fusion360, which also comes in handy. I’ll definitely reach out if I run into any roadblocks. I sure to wish I had a lathe and a milk, though. I do have a drill press, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

Dremel is pretty much all you need for most of this stuff. Ur press drill will work perfectly for moving the top of the denix forward which if you only do one thing that might be it. At some point I’ll get a resin printer but for the hammer itself I’d outsource that alone IMHO anyhow. Resin I’m quite sure will break when the hammer is snapped. Can’t hurt to try though. SLS/MJF is a tough a nails in the regard. Good luck to u sir!!!

My suggestion is to get 2 or 3 metal files too, much easier to get a true flat surface with a bar of steel than a dremel!

Medium and fine grit files, with the rough edge like most of them have, and a little set of needle files. Get a bottle of Rapid Tap cutting oil too. The Denix is pot metal, zinc based and is very easy to cut and grind :)

Chubbs really knows his stuff.

Also a steel punch and a little mallet take out the denix pins with ease

Dremel is pretty much all you need for most of this stuff. Ur press drill will work perfectly for moving the top of the denix forward which if you only do one thing that might be it. At some point I’ll get a resin printer but for the hammer itself I’d outsource that alone IMHO anyhow. Resin I’m quite sure will break when the hammer is snapped. Can’t hurt to try though. SLS/MJF is a tough a nails in the regard. Good luck to u sir!!!
I’ve used Shapeways, too. I’ve even gotten things printed in aluminum. Raisin would definitely snap. Though there are some tougher resins out there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back