RESEARCH: X-WING CONTROL STICK

newmagrathea

Sr Member
Ok I've put this up on my blog in full detail, so I'll put a condensed version here.

There are two different X-wing control sticks. There is the one that Wavey has a thread on: ANH X-Wing Control Column - Stick

And the one that I'm trying to hunt down the parts on that has the keyboard attached to it. See below pic.

Keyboard-Control.png

Parts that have been identified are:
  • The white switch on the side of the keyboard - Same as Vader chest box
  • The big red button on the keyboard - Same as Vader chest box
  • The keyboard - TI 3000 calculator
  • Bubble panel - Perma Matic 618 camera

Possible leads on parts
Flanged silver tubes next to big red button:
  • Camera internals – A theory
  • Bunting bearing
  • Flange bearing
  • Blind nut insert
  • Sleave bearing
Silver disk on top of stick:
  • transriptor stylus base - same as on bowcaster

No leads just theories
Control stick:
  • Powertool handle
  • Helicopter collective
  • Camera handle
  • Motorcycle handle bar
  • Pop rivet gun
  • Airplane control stick
  • Ejection seat release

Parts that I have no idea about
  • There is something blurry on the right side of the keyboard.
  • How the keyboard is attached to the stick.
If you have any reference pics of this specific keyboard control stick that would be a huge help, I only have this one photo to go off of. Also if you recognize any of the parts that I don't know yet please share it with me. Any new theories or ideas are very welcome. Thanks for your help.

The silver disc is also from Transcriptor as it seems, have those in my parts boxes. The two cylindrical shapes look like the –still unidentified– inserts of the splitclamps, which were used to dress up the ESB binoculars and rebel scanner prop.

The two greeblies on top of the second flightstick are vintage honeywell microswitches...have at least one in a drawer.

Problem...I am on vacation atm, so I can‘t provide any pics

Have you checked the Mamiya cine camera for the clear bubbles? It was gutted for use as the stunt macros, so the bubbles could easily be from it

I just looked it up per your suggestion. It looks like it has staggered bubbles instead of straight rows. I'm going to pop the bubbles out of the Perma Matic camera soon. I've done a side by side with the camera and the calculator, the bubbles look like a perfect match.

just going to throw these images out there (not mine)
TI-3000.jpg
ti-31.jpg
... these are two calculators in question.. I don’t see much of a difference in placement of the keys or key sizes. Also the edges are beveled about the same. the biggest difference being between the two: the face plate of each calculator, and the switch placement. The switch placement for the TI-3000, would be exposing the switch placed on the original calculator, while the exactra 31 has a small switch that could have easily been covered up by the red translucent part (same as displayed on vader's chest box), but also displayed the same switch as the TI-3000.

nice work man! Very impressed that you found the calculator set-up. I thought those were randomly placed keys, like some other props

Fellow RPFer, Wavey, has done extensive research on this VERY prop and I believe he knows almost everything about it. He'll pop in... :)

I've seen his thread, I posted it in my original post but I didn't see any info about this version of the control stick. I tried messaging him a few weeks ago, and commented on his thread but I've had no response from him.

So I bid on a calculator yesterday but ended up not buying it (bought the camera though!). My bet is on the base being the exactra 31 because of the flush surface, but without seeing the switch in the upper left hand corner it's hard to tell which calculator it is. If it is recessed than it is the ti-3000, if the area with the switch is flush it is the exactra. Yeesh. So much pressure!

So I bid on a calculator yesterday but ended up not buying it (bought the camera though!). My bet is on the base being the exactra 31 because of the flush surface, but without seeing the switch in the upper left hand corner it's hard to tell which calculator it is. If it is recessed than it is the ti-3000, if the area with the switch is flush it is the exactra. Yeesh. So much pressure!

Well you wind up taking the calculator apart. Here is mine with it out of the case, the white switch and red button attached. The switch would be in the way.

IMG_6517.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back