Replicating Indiana Jones' Voice... (& Dad)

AJLoCascio

Sr Member
Been a while since I've constructed anything physical, but been working on replicating Fords voice for a project (can't say what yet). Posted something like this when I did Marty Mcfly for Telltale and people seemed to enjoy it.

While honing in on the nuances of Ford's voice this attempt at a vocal replica was birthed into being:

[video]https://youtu.be/-loBew6f2x4[/video]

Feel free to let me know what ya think. No ego here. Just givin' it the ole' college try.

-AJ

The first line for Indy didn't sound like him, but then from there it was quite good. I think the American accent could be a little thicker in places, and the tone could use a bit of tweaking in areas, but I think it was just a matter of practicing for consistency, because some lines were spot on, while some weren't as convincing.
Connery is a hard one to emulate, but you did a good job there too. Again, I think the accent should have been a bit thicker there, and the tone a little more muffled, but overall nice job.

Overall, great work. :thumbsup

Noted. Thank you. Trying to hone in on this is quite difficult. And " I think the American accent could be a little thicker in places." yeesh - I am America so that is hard for me to wrap my sad little brain around. But I'll keep chipping away. The Connery was just a happy accident as well - I'd never tried that before - I was mostly focused on Jones. Thank you!

And " I think the American accent could be a little thicker in places." yeesh - I am America so that is hard for me to wrap my sad little brain around.

Well I'm not American, so maybe I'm off base with that one! :lol Maybe it's a slightly different regional accent? I don't know. I'm not knowledgeable in this stuff, so feel free to disregard my comments entirely. I was only nitpicking because you're already so close.

I've got a fair bit of experience working with voice acting (I'm a games producer with a lot of experience in game narrative) as since it's kind of an issue for me personally (I feel that most games, even AAA-budget ones, have pretty bad voice acting), so here's my brutally honest opinion.

Indy:
In "Will you take it easy", the "OU" of you and "TA" of take are great.

In "I came here to save you" the "I" is great and the "here" is spot on and illustrates what I think was meant about with the dialect needing to sound more 'murican. Som NA dialects are very heavy in there "errrs" and other inflections- they can become very pronounced, almost satirical. (My own dialect can get pretty heavy but that's because I've been living in Sweden so long that I have to put in an effort to not let the Viking influence become too apparent.)

In "I told you", the last part of "you" pretty much nails the whiskey-vibratio of cranky Ford.

in "Don't call me junior" you get the vibratio in "don't" as well. In that same line "junior" nails Ford's dialect fairly well and is another example of the heavy American dialect.

Overall for Ford, you need more bass in there- even for a younger Indy. There is a lot of inconsistency in the line reading- it feels like your own voice carries through a fair bit. Maybe a lot of that is because I'm trying to really hear Ford and am a tad sensitive to differences. (As mentioned before, voice acting is a bit of a pet peeve for me and I tend to get fanatical about it.) I listened with and without looking at the video. Ford is always so intense and it's hard to "fake" that. The moments where you shine are usually those where the voice is strained or intense. Maybe try a lot of "plain conversational" talking? Try to do Ford giving interviews and the like to get the baseline down and then go for the "GET OFF MY PLANE" lines.

As for Connery, my overall impression is that you are pretty far off. It's not an easy accent to fake- especially if you're a young North American. You got the "Marx" really nice, but the rest was not convincing beyond "he's trying to sound like Sean Connery". (Folks from Britain can't usually do American accents either. I can only think of a handful of actors that do passable accents of someone from the other side of the pond, no matter which side you are on.) That's not a dig at your talent but so many things, including age and physique, play into recreating certain voices and even with a broad range there are some things that become a bit of a stretch.

(Just for the record, I did really like your Marty voice.)

Thanks Joe! The Connery was more for fun than for Ford; I just threw Connery in there, but was working on Ford to get this down. But These are great critiques. I'll go back to practicing...

Man super impressive! You could have shown me that video and I wouldn't have ever known it wasn't the original voices, nice work!

I played the BTTF and wasn't a big fan of your Marty but I think you did a rather good Indy :) :thumbsup
So my opinion is basically the opposite that of joatrash's, and since he is the professional ignore my opinion ;) :lol

I think the last Connery line, you don't go quite as high pitched as he did originally, but that's just from memory.

As for Ford, fantastic job. I wish the voice actor who worked on Fate of Atlantis had put in the effort you have, and I'll second the opinion that an HD FoA or any Indy game would benefit from your talent.

Re: Replicating Indiana Jones' Voice... (& Dad)

Very impressive Moony, Thoroughly enjoyed your marty in BTTF, I know you can't say what your project is for, but a man can dream of an HD remake of Fate of Atlantis like the Monkey Island games can't he ?! lol

It wont be a mind blowing reveal when/ if it happens - but hopefully it will be a cool thing for Indy fans.

Man super impressive! You could have shown me that video and I wouldn't have ever known it wasn't the original voices, nice work!

Thank you! That's extremely high praise!

Your Ford is really good. Everybody has a Connery impression, but you really get the nuances of Ford's Indy.

Yeah - Connery was done as as joke really - just to sort of fill in the gaps (plus it was just fun) But - Thank you! I Ford was my real focus. He's so specific in his delivery.

I played the BTTF and wasn't a big fan of your Marty but I think you did a rather good Indy :) :thumbsup
So my opinion is basically the opposite that of joatrash's, and since he is the professional ignore my opinion ;) :lol

Haha - thats totally fine by me! Compliment accepted.

I think the last Connery line, you don't go quite as high pitched as he did originally, but that's just from memory. As for Ford, fantastic job. I wish the voice actor who worked on Fate of Atlantis had put in the effort you have, and I'll second the opinion that an HD FoA or any Indy game would benefit from your talent.

I actually did one without listening to the scene - and had the same thought on Connery. It's more subdued than I remembered - it's funny how our minds do that - not that mine is perfect by any means. And I feel weirdly nostalgic about Doug Lee's performance in FOA and Infernal Machine - he was a fun take on Indy. It never really sounded like Ford to me, but I always believed it as Indy if that makes any sense.

Thank you guys for the feedback - I know the RPF is where all of us perfectionists dwell - so I thought this was the best place to take fire! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Very impressive Moony, Thoroughly enjoyed your marty in BTTF, I know you can't say what your project is for, but a man can dream of an HD remake of Fate of Atlantis like the Monkey Island games can't he ?! lol

It wont be a mind blowing reveal when/ if it happens - but hopefully it will be a cool thing for Indy fans.

Thank you! That's extremely high praise!

Your Ford is really good. Everybody has a Connery impression, but you really get the nuances of Ford's Indy.

Yeah - Connery was done as as joke really - just to sort of fill in the gaps (plus it was just fun) But - Thank you! I Ford was my real focus. He's so specific in his delivery.

Haha - thats totally fine by me! Compliment accepted.

I think the last Connery line, you don't go quite as high pitched as he did originally, but that's just from memory. As for Ford, fantastic job. I wish the voice actor who worked on Fate of Atlantis had put in the effort you have, and I'll second the opinion that an HD FoA or any Indy game would benefit from your talent.

I actually did one without listening to the scene - and had the same thought on Connery. It's more subdued than I remembered - it's funny how our minds do that - not that mine is perfect by any means. And I feel weirdly nostalgic about Doug Lee's performance in FOA and Infernal Machine - he was a fun take on Indy. It never really sounded like Ford to me, but I always believed it as Indy if that makes any sense.

Thank you guys for the feedback - I know the RPF is where all of us perfectionists dwell - so I thought this was the best place to take fire! Thank you!

Sorry for the necro bump but I literally just had a lightbulb moment...... This doesn't have anything to do with the new lego dimensions game does it ? lol ; )

I know you can't say, but given the trailers I've seen I wouldn't be surprised if lego put an indian jones expansion in their new toys to life game.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back