Replica Prop LPs, The Gate, Trick or Treat, Rockstar, this is Spinal Tap

Mad Max Cars

Alright everyone. Besides being film and car enthusiast, many of you may know I am an avid music fan and musician. This is where it all intersects. I did a quick search (could have missed something of course) but I did not see anyone making replicas of Vinyl LP records that have appeared as props in films. If anyone has, I would love to see their builds. Also if this is a subject you have considered or are remotely interested in, I would love to hear. The 4 movies in the title are the ones I could readily think of and that interest me personally. I am sure there are more. Seeing the Book of the dead build by jcporcel got me back thinking of this (thank you!). SO - first from "The Gate" is the Sacrifyx LP "The Dark Book" Gatefold cover with a booklet. LP with a center label. Wish I knew who made it so I could find out what ate is not shown in the film. I always wonder where the screen used prop went (don't you)?

Last edited:
The next one, and probably a WAY easier build is from "Trick or Treat" the Sammi Kurr test pressing for "Songs in the Key of Death". Need to get better screen captures here, but simple black center label with white or silver lettering, plain white jacket with black writing.

Finally, the film "Rockstar" shows at least one "rare" title by fictional band "Steel Dragon", and in "This is Spinal Tap" the do show several front covers of their records, but no actual prop LPs except the plain black cover of "Smell the Glove". Would love to make "Tribute" props of the original STG cover and the others:

man oh man I love the 80's!!! I can already tell just from your pictures of the spinal tap cover's that the color's are "wrong"?? if you look at the tiny thumb nail pictures of the cover art in your second picture, some color's are VERY different. and the picture of the six spinal tap cover's actually look like there "45's"?? I know it's ''just a movie" but Ive been thru a ton of album store's back in the day and i've never come across anything in an L.P. that was "that"damaged etc. even picking garage sales... just a thought.. :unsure: :lol:

Having just seen the musical and the movie, there's at least one "Arsenal" LP in "Rock of Ages."

Attachments

• 62_roaliveatthebrlpb.jpg
    62_roaliveatthebrlpb.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 568
man oh man I love the 80's!!! I can already tell just from your pictures of the spinal tap cover's that the color's are "wrong"?? if you look at the tiny thumb nail pictures of the cover art in your second picture, some color's are VERY different. and the picture of the six spinal tap cover's actually look like there "45's"?? I know it's ''just a movie" but Ive been thru a ton of album store's back in the day and i've never come across anything in an L.P. that was "that"damaged etc. even picking garage sales... just a thought.. :unsure: :lol:
So true. They have a "commercial" on the DVD that shows the covers undamaged, I think the wear was for this advert art. I own some pretty damaged LPs though that make these look mint. Stuff from the 60s from my hippy aunt that got chewed by her dog for example. As far as the colors, would love to get my hands on the original art to work from. As a record collector, I would skip the weathering and go for pristine copy replicas.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back