Replica or vintage folmer graflex 3 cell bottom? If replica then who's?

Attachments

• IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 199
Here is a great resource for your question.

Here is a great resource for your question.
Hi Scarf Man,
Thanks for the quick reply and reference info.
I went thru all 33 pages of this reference info but was unable to find info on this.
I originally Listed this on ebay to sell as vintage and had someone contact me saying he thought it may be a replica. I removed it of course until I can confirm replica or vintage. If I can't confirm vintage then I will just list it as a replica.
Thanks again for the info.
Dean

Hi Scarf Man,
Thanks for the quick reply and reference info.
I went thru all 33 pages of this reference info but was unable to find info on this.
I originally Listed this on ebay to sell as vintage and had someone contact me saying he thought it may be a replica. I removed it of course until I can confirm replica or vintage. If I can't confirm vintage then I will just list it as a replica.
Thanks again for the info.
Dean
Yeah, I don’t see anything that jumps out as obviously replica about your pic. Do you have a top and clamp to go with the bottom? There are more tells to look for on the other parts.

If someone commented that he thought it was a replica, without giving you specifics as to why, I would chalk it up to trawling for a discount. You’ve done your due diligence reading up on the subject.

I mean, I might be mistaken, but that is a thick lip for a folmer

I'd need some more pictures to help

They're rare but there are thick lip New York Folmers. I almost bought one a number of years ago. I didn't because at the time I thought $500+ was too much to pay for any Graflex. Nowadays that's a bargain for a Folmer.

Last edited:
Boy, I hate that we've gotten this way with graflexes now. If it's real, be happy! The differences are miniscule

Sure, I'll out myself. Here's what I said about it on eBay:

------------
The 2nd through 4th photos [in the replica thread] are vintage bottoms, and they use an O with straight sides. The 5th and 6th photos are shots of the bottom of a replica known as the Parks V1, and their O has a more pointy top and curved sides, and seem to match the item you've got. Other replicas have other tells, of course, but that letter form is distinctive for the Parks V1.

It's tough to tell sometimes, which is how I ended up with one of those replicas a while back. I keep it around as a reminder to be more careful.

Thanks for your time,
------------

So, no, not unsubstantiated angling for a discount. I just don't want someone paying vintage Folmer money for a Parks.

Lots of little things are off to my eyes. But just compare the K in "york", the G in "graflex", (the one in "Made by the Folmer Graflex ...") to a vintage one. Not sure what it is, I don' think it's a real graflex, but also does not match that particular replica on the 5/6th photos.

Almost positive the bottom is a replica Parks V1 as others have said. Sometimes it's harder to pick up on inconsistencies from a single picture, but side by side, they're easier to detect.

Differences with the genuine
  • Overall tighter / thinner engraving of font
  • Shape of letter "A" - more pronounced flat top on genuine?
  • Shape of letter "O" - more squared vs round
  • Shape of letter "G" - does not have the drop down spur line
  • Shape of letter "K" - more pronounced curve in the drop line and starts a little higher up from the upward line
  • Size of the periods in between USA are smaller
  • Font size and spacing of the "Trade Mark" line - shorter and more spacing between words
Folmer.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back