Repairing chipped resin.

Dakota

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey there,

I just wanted to get some advice from more experienced makers than myself on what would be the best medium to repair some minor shipping damage in one of my recently ordered prop replicas.

IMG_20180607_113933.jpgIMG_20180607_113912.jpg

Unfortunately for me, the styrofoam within the box this thing was packed in gave just enough to allow it to have some vertical movement causing chips on the end of "spear" as well as that the base. Nothing too major, seems like a simple enough repair on paper.

My question for you is what, in your experience, would be the best medium to use to fix these areas.

PHArchivist recently told me that Elmer’s wood putty works amazingly well for non-structural repairs on resin. I haven’t tried it myself yet, but he says it sands smoothly. I’m going to pick up some this weekend and give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I'm going to have to do some paint tests to make sure I'll be able to blend it nicely before I try and tackle any repairs of course, but I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Fortunately these are minor issues I don't think other people would notice but I'm a perfectionist!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back