repainting my armor

Skullsplitter

Sr Member
I got Hez' gort in the mail the other day, so I thought it would be a nice time to repaint my other helmets aswell. Currently I've only primed and basecoated the bastards, but already I found this very fun to do. Next is the layering of colors and shading, afterwards there will be a weathering- wash for all three.

No pics yet as I'm typing this on my cell, but likely later in the day.

Sorry for the wait, but here they are (2 down, one to go)

First I started with some spraycan with a color labeled as "Old Gold" (plain and pale gold was a better name IMO), I hoped it to be much darker.

4141056610_cc6a53ccb7_b.jpg

As you can see, the gold is far to yellow/gold for the P2, so I had to order some Tamiya acrylics to do some coloring. (numbers will be posted later)

On the basecoat, I started by dabbing two shades of copper

4140298073_3aa0c4c5f6_b.jpg

While this looked far better, I still thought I needed some more shaded area's

I then mixed an acrylics based black shining spraycan to the mix (drops at the time for safety) and toned down my coppers to fill in the recesses. After it cured, I added a gold highlight pass for the risen surfaces like the brow and the cheekbones

4141056834_2189865738_b.jpg

This is pretty much the final product, far from what I wanted (opted for more coppertones but wasn't really satisfied with what the spraycan-black did to my Tamiya, but satisfying none the less. Still have to do some copper corrosion in the form of a wash though, might do that sometime soon.

Now I completely forgot to take photo's of the P1, but the idea is roughly the same as the tutorial found in the tutorial section: basecoat of plain aluminum silver (bright but dull), fill in the recesses with gunmetal (no blacks whatsoever) and sponge on two tones of silver again to give it a more mixed and less uniform look. Tapping the result with the tip of a near dry brush for some weathering and add a little metallic brown wash for some rusty coloring here and there.

completed:

4140298617_043fe56a4e_b.jpg

and the two together:

4140298497_80fdd1eef9_b.jpg

And remember kids: this is just my first paintup of armor, ever.

4141056610_cc6a53ccb7_b.jpg

4140298073_3aa0c4c5f6_b.jpg

4141056834_2189865738_b.jpg

4140298617_043fe56a4e_b.jpg

4140298497_80fdd1eef9_b.jpg

And remember kids: this is just my first paintup of armor, ever.

Awesome! Very well done, sir!

You're on the right track with the P2 paintup. I used a brass door knob for reference (helpful for the layering effect) along with some P2 helmet pics when I painted my first P2 helmet 3 years ago. I haven't done one since. The P1 helmet looks pretty good, too! I've got one around here I need to paint up as well.

Question though - what brand of metallic paint is that in the pint can? I can't find metallics in brushable form anywhere. Everythings damn aerosal.

I honestly don't know! It's a dutch make probably, my parents had it around. Try your local games workshop or scalemodel department. I found this one a bit to yello, wished for a more orange tint, might opt to do some more orange metallic spots on the mask later on.

I really loved doing this, and now I'm finally sculpting too.

Like the P2. I'd leave it as it is, but that's personal preference...I've never been a fan of the green oxide look.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back