Repainting Daredevil Helmet

Steamdork

Hi,
I want to repaint my Daredevil helmet, it's too light. Any suggestions as to how to go about this? Plasti-dip? Or just some Acrylic? The mask is made of latex.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 275
I would say spray paint actually, because I have one that is perfect for a Daredevil helmet. I wouldn't recommend plasti-dip because it looks fake and looks like bad plastic. Acrylic doesn't bond well with latex, from what I have heard, so I would recommend spray paint. Also do you have any pepakura files for this helmet I could use please?

Spray paint sounds good, thank you for the tip. Unfortunately I don't have pepakura files for this helmet. I actually bought this off of ebay from a cosplay company.

I'd recommend against painting this mask with spray paint.

Spray paint isn't flexible, and will crack and chip off the flexible latex.

You will need to paint this with a flexible paint. There are many formulas to make these paints, such as rubber cement mixed with oil paints and thinned with naptha, 40/60 latex and acrylic thinned with distilled water or amonia, or PAX (Prosaide and acrylic 50/50) paint.

You'll have to find what is most available and comfortable for you, but I've been painting with Rubber Cement inks for quite a long time. I like Best Test cement thinned with their thinner Bestine, but naptha works well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I might go with the 40/60 latex and acrylic thinned with distilled water or ammonia.

I have some experience painting Latex

Moldmaker is spot on

Here are my two bits

DO NOT USE SPRAY PAINT - It will crack the first second it is bent at all.

The best way to paint latex is the same way mask makers paint masks.

Use An acrylic Water based paint and mix it with Pros-Aide adhesive.
or use a latex paint base with a latex colorant.

You can find all these products can be found on monstermakers.com website.

Shortcuts will end up not lasting and the results will suffer.

You can try fabric/vinyl paint from car shops. Or leather paint (used for shoes). But finding the color you want might be tough for the leather spray paint.

Did you end up using the fabric & vinyl paint on your Daredevil helmet? I bought the same helmet and I want to repaint mine also. I was curious as to how it turned out if you did use the fabric & vinyl paint.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back