Repainting a MPC Millennium Falcon ***FINISHED*** with tons of pictures

JediMichael

Master Member
My ex had given me this back on Christmas 2009...and I was actually thinking 2010, but looking at these old pics, Christmas tree matches all the 2009 pics....crazy talk .
The AMCE comic store in Longwood Florida had had this model for quite some time, so she bought it for me.
Well, I had put a few models together, but nothing too serious, and really didn't know a lot about things.
Here I am...and had all my hair still....crazy what 13 years can do.....
Not sure if this is an original 1983 kit, or rerelease years later. Someone would probably know on here for sure.
P1040110.jpg

Back then, didn't even know anything about priming/cleaning anything for a model before painting. Built it and then mixed up some light grey, and there I went.
P1010080.jpg

The kit didn't really have a front part on the cockpit, so I made this from cardboard and painted it grayish with dots.
PC270024.jpg

PC300046.jpg

Once done, it came out like this, which at the time, I thought seemed pretty good. Now I realize that Han and Chewie have been neglecting a ship (car) wash in quite some time.
P1040092.jpg

So now as I continue to recover from the surgery I had last Thursday, thought I'd tackle fixing this up....but, with the kitchen all torn up from a water leak, and waiting on the insurance to go over it all and decide how much we can spend to replace everything, my model building desk is a bit inaccessible.
So since I can't finish up the Metal Gear Rex I started, or the scratch built Drop Ship, why not move to another area of the house and start another new project. Makes complete sense to me!!!!
View attachment 1672111

Here it is today. Flash made it a little bit brighter looking than in person. You can see the fishing string where it use to hang.
20230220_181419.jpg

20230220_181509.jpg

So really, I've never done anything like this before and wasn't even sure where to start or how far to go. Decided to just go at it however I thought seemed best and decided to see if it would come apart to fix up a few parts...and with some nail polish remover, most of it did.
20230220_203725.jpg

This is the only part to break on me, which is fine, as I can scratch something to resemble how its suppose to look anyways. The piece that broke doesn't really fit the bigger piece, but there nowhere else it could have come from...weird. I don't think I'll add any lights. I probably will hang it again, but have the back end face a wall anyways.
20230220_203846.jpg

Got the windows out, but the nail polish seemed to make them a bit cloudy. Want to see if anyone might have an easy fix to clear them back up.
20230220_204002.jpg

Oops, pic didn't rotate....but, I washed all the pieces in the tub with some mild dawn soap I have and scrubbed everything with a soft toothbrush. Figured after 13 years and moving several times, it would have some dirt and dust that couldn't just be vacuumed off. Now all the pieces are in the closet drying off.
20230220_211725.jpg

From here to figure all the rest of the steps to make this much better. Try to get the back end scratched up. Thanks to the members here at the RPF, I learned to use styrene, as before, I'd never heard of it and was using poster board or cardboard for for fixing stuff like this, like in the cockpit. Not sure if I'll fix that part up, or keep as is.
Once ready, I'll properly prime it, and then going over tons of ways for a base color, a lot of people seem to recommend using Tamiya AS-20 USNAVY Insignia White.
As long as its close enough. This will never be perfect grade anyways.
From there I'll just hand paint in all the details, but going a LOT closer to guides on the internet.
Even though its a Return of the Jedi kit, without really even knowing back then, I left the front landing gear boxes off, as I never liked it as much with them....so based on the ANH 5 footer it is.

If anyone has any recommendations for me, speak up now.
Other than that, I'll do what I can to make this old kit much better, but without spending a ton of time or money on it.

Also, going through those old pics, found my death star model kit, which is my spinning avatar, but 5 or 6 years before I fixed it up and finally painted it.
P5183049.jpg

Last edited:
Was also looking up this same kit online. Some places sell it from $50, with the highest being $244. Someone has a built and painted one for $1067. I'll pass.

Nice project

as far as cleaning up the clear parts, the best I have found is Tamiya Compound polishes with the polishing cloths

You may not have to sand as long as the surface is relatively good apart from just being clouded

Otherwise if the surface has been roughed up you might start with some very fine grit sandpaper (like 2000 grit) first

As far as the polishing compounds, start with course and work the way down to fine

shopping

As far as the boxing, that is the ROTJ one, which was the same basic kit as the original (1978?) one

It never had the extra 2 landing gear boxes despite being the ROTJ version. so you built it as is without leaving any off'

People have spent a lot of time and/or money trying to add the additional two landing boxes

Some kits also had smoked glass instead of clear

They also removed the "lighting kit" that was in the ANH releases from it which was really just some grain of wheat bulbs and a battery holder. They did however leave the on/off switch area on the rear side wall of it as well as the removable battery compartment lid

Nice project

as far as cleaning up the clear parts, the best I have found is Tamiya Compound polishes with the polishing cloths

You may not have to sand as long as the surface is relatively good apart from just being clouded

Otherwise if the surface has been roughed up you might start with some very fine grit sandpaper (like 2000 grit) first

As far as the polishing compounds, start with course and work the way down to fine

shopping

As far as the boxing, that is the ROTJ one, which was the same basic kit as the original (1978?) one

It never had the extra 2 landing gear boxes despite being the ROTJ version. so you built it as is without leaving any off'

People have spent a lot of time and/or money trying to add the additional two landing boxes

Some kits also had smoked glass instead of clear

They also removed the "lighting kit" that was in the ANH releases from it which was really just some grain of wheat bulbs and a battery holder. They did however leave the on/off switch area on the rear side wall of it as well as the removable battery compartment lid
I actually scrubbed the windows with the nail polish remover. While it didn't make it more clear, it did clean up little marks and paint around the edges.
Since the center part is clear and it gets cloudy towards the edges, I was thinking it was from glue or something getting on it, but maybe thats how it was suppose to be. I think I'll just leave it then. The less to worry about and the less to spend on it. Hoping it can be a nice easy quick project.....although, I know better....how many of these "quick cheap" projects end up taking months....if not years sometimes.

One other option is dipping the parts in Future floor polish

I have heard of people being able to get rid of the fog caused by CA fumes on clear parts

NOTE: not all clear floor polishes are the same, it has to be one of the various rebranded version of Future Floor Polish

The problem is it has been discontinued all together earlier this year but you may be able to still find it at a few select places that had some stock left

most recently these
future7.jpg

pledgefloorglossfuture.jpg

Apart from future, you could try also coating it with Tamiya clear which may have a similar effect reducing the cloudiness

Got a new back part cutout.
Not sure what yiu would call this piece, since its the engines blue glow.
20230221_100233.jpg

The model has these little tabs, 2 shown here, where that plastic strip is suppose to line up. This is the top piece, the bottom piece the tabs are slightly taller, but not much.
20230221_101923.jpg

So I'm adding some styrene pieces to help hold it in better.
20230221_110900.jpg

20230221_110907.jpg

I'll let it dry and then do a dry fit to see if I need to add even more.

Heres another thing I wanted to fix with this kit, is the missing frame on each side.
20230222_004033.jpg

But, this ended up being a bit more difficult than I expected.
I first tried to cut pieces that might perfectly go between the virtical frames, but in need 4 to all line up...wasn't going to happen.
Second I tried with this size. Thickness is the .75
I figured once I got it to bend a bit, I could glue it up inside...but it just didn't want to work and fought me the whole way.
It was probably still too wide anyways.
20230222_005941.jpg

So I went even thinner, basically the stuff used on a for sale sign. It was still being tricky, but looks the best I could get it.
20230222_021626.jpg

Before, I was also trying to already have them cut the correct size, at such a small scale, no.....this way I could trim excess off afterwards.
20230222_022359.jpg

I'm thinking these two pieces are still not lined up exactly correct, but after all that, I think its as good as I'm getting it.
20230222_022437.jpg

Two or 3 years ago I totally re-did my 80's MPC Falcon. It came out pretty good for the two weeks of work I put into it, but there was no getting around the side wall thickness (even though I used shading tricks & thin styrene rods to make them seem thinner).

Two or 3 years ago I totally re-did my 80's MPC Falcon. It came out pretty good for the two weeks of work I put into it, but there was no getting around the side wall thickness (even though I used shading tricks & thin styrene rods to make them seem thinner).
I've not studied the Falcon as well as a lot of people on here have, so the sidewalls and other little things don't really bother me. Yeah, side by side with ILM's Falcon, its going to look terrible most likely....so best not to even try.
I figure if I get this completed well enough, I can some day attempt the Bandai PG Falcon.
Also, Analyzer had asked about the window, but I'm pretty sure this kit didn't have any type of plastic window, or I would have most likely added it....but can't really remember.
Does your 80s MPC Falcon have any type of window that came with the kit?

I've not studied the Falcon as well as a lot of people on here have, so the sidewalls and other little things don't really bother me. Yeah, side by side with ILM's Falcon, its going to look terrible most likely....so best not to even try.
I figure if I get this completed well enough, I can some day attempt the Bandai PG Falcon.
Also, Analyzer had asked about the window, but I'm pretty sure this kit didn't have any type of plastic window, or I would have most likely added it....but can't really remember.
Does your 80s MPC Falcon have any type of window that came with the kit?
Yeah, it came with windows. Here's mine today. It's really worth doing (revisiting the kit) because it's a nice size & holds many memories for us. No way in heck I will ever get my hands on a PG Falcon, but I *did* end up getting a smaller Bandai kit that made me completely happy (and it STILL needed modding!!!!).
20230210_185825.jpg

As for the back main engine, it was just that plastic piece, in fact two pieces you had to glue together, which I had done my best to paint the white faded to blue.
I thought since I'm redoing things anyways, I might as well try and work it to be more correct.
This is another one of those....try one thing, fail. Try another, fail....
Raise you hand if you've done that before.....*raises 57 hands*

My first attempt was to take these three long 2mm rods I have and give them a bit of a bend to match the back of the Falcon. I didn't want to glue it to the long styrene strip yet, as that still needs the white fade to blue part.
20230221_133932.jpg

I thought, if I line all three up with the correct spacing, then glue on the rods that go up and down, it should work....right? right???
nope.
20230221_185921.jpg

I got this far, and might be hard to tell in the picture, but it was NOT lining up so well. Mainly the middle rod was fighting me the worst and kept wanting to twist. So I decided to rip it off with the help of some nail polish remover.....and broke a few pieces and snapped one of the side rods...
20230221_234555.jpg

But I was able to fix the broken parts, got all the rods glued in and THEN just got the middle rod glued in here a big ago. Still wasn't perfect, but so much better.
20230223_164756.jpg

Not too bad, just sitting in there for now of course.
20230223_164926.jpg

I already made up the white to blue fade in photoshop, one with more vertical lines, and another without just incase those don't look good.
But, my printer is out of ink right now, but I'll get it printed on photo paper.
Then just get it all put in correctly after its all nice and painted.
I'm not sure if I should add another small strip along the top and bottom.
20230223_165002.jpg

Yeah, it came with windows. Here's mine today. It's really worth doing (revisiting the kit) because it's a nice size & holds many memories for us. No way in heck I will ever get my hands on a PG Falcon, but I *did* end up getting a smaller Bandai kit that made me completely happy (and it STILL needed modding!!!!).View attachment 1673035

At least your kit has better details. This one has such a basic mold. Probably didn't come with the plastic windows. I have some round rods I can probably add in a few places to help at least somewhat.
20230223_171923.jpg

At least your kit has better details. This one has such a basic mold. Probably didn't come with the plastic windows. I have some round rods I can probably add in a few places to help at least somewhat.
View attachment 1673048
I slavishly created all those extra details from scratch! A new version of this kit is available with much better detailing for like $75. Might be worth lookin' at!

I slavishly created all those extra details from scratch! A new version of this kit is available with much better detailing for like $75. Might be worth lookin' at!
Ah, I gotcha. Funny how the Falcon is probably the most modeled space craft of all time with people totally obsessing over the littlest of details.
The star destroyer is probably 2nd....and then some version of the Enterprise from Star Trek...

Ah, I gotcha. Funny how the Falcon is probably the most modeled space craft of all time with people totally obsessing over the littlest of details.
The star destroyer is probably 2nd....and then some version of the Enterprise from Star Trek...
My only problem with the PG Bandai Falcon is that it's not the falcon from Empire & Jedi. New Hope purists don't mind....

My only problem with the PG Bandai Falcon is that it's not the falcon from Empire & Jedi. New Hope purists don't mind....
Kinda surprised that bandai hasn't made a PG 32 inch and updated Empire and Jedi models. Maybe they don't think they would sell as much....I'm sure theres people that would buy them all.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back