Repaint Of Sideshow Base/stand

saleenjames

What do you guys think?

Saleenjames

mobileUpload.jpg

you cant see to well on in the pictures but looks like maybe a few black washes fo age it a little would help

The way I do it now is this get the ( Americana ) Stanining Antiquing medium gel and get ( FolkArt ) Metallic Sequin Black or any black you can also use and other color with the gel. Its said use a 1:1 mix but use a little less on the balck as some times the color is a little strong when you clear coat it use a sponge to apply.

IMAG1264.jpg

Your re-paint looks no different than the original - except it's a lot cleaner looking.

Art is right, you need to weather that piece up a bit to give it some real presence. You could either try dry-brushing, or using a series of washes as Art said.

Dry-brushing would probably be the easiest way to achieve a weathered appearance. Basically, you paint the piece black. Then, you take whatever desired colors you want, soak the brush, then remove the excess with a paper towel until there's barely a hint of paint on it. Lightly brush on the color. This - plus the black background - will give you a dirtier, more aged appearance.

Washing is taking a specific color that you want and thinning it down to an almost transparent consistency. You can, during it's work-time use cloth to remove it creating highlights. It's all a trial and error kinda thing.

Thanks for the info. The old color (sideshow) is more brown. This is copper metallic. I've never painted anything before so I think it turned out ok lol

Saleenjames

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back