Rens's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Rens

My husband (rpf username: Crin) and I often play video games together (one will play, the other will "advise"). After watching him play through Fallout 3, I was so enthralled with it, I decided to have a playthrough of my own. Since he played through as a morally good character, I decided to play through as the most morally objectionable character possible. Needless to say, I blew up Megaton.

My favorite part of the game was Moira, hands-down. Her chipper attitude was unflappable, even after becoming a ghoul. I had to cosplay her!

I always wanted to do the ghoul version, but I didn't have the time (or the skills) to make it for DragonCon 2012, but I did pull together a non-ghoul version to go with my husband's NCR Ranger:

tumblr_ma3yxk1Yt71qkp3voo2_500.jpg
(photo by Tumblr User Esuerc)

This costume was made with a small navy blue coverall that I ordered from Grainger (Grainger Industrial Supply - MRO Supplies, MRO Equipment, Tools & Solutions). I then weathered the hell out of it by sanding it and all the wear spots. Since it needed to be very, very (post-apolcalyptic) dirty, I airbrushed dirt in all the wear spots and then painted my hands and wiped my hands on the jumpsuit wear I would wipe them if I were wiping off my hands as a mechanic. I used a freezer paper stencil to add the "RobCo" on the back.

My Wasteland Survival Guide is made from a still from the game, printed out and attached to a disposable moleskin sketchbook, which I then stained and painted to create wear.

For DragonCon 2013 I decided to push ahead and make a ghoul mask for Ghoul Moira.

Here's a couple of screenshots:
IMG_3664.JPGIMG_3673.JPG

I decided to make it as a silicone, pullover style mask.

For the sculpt, I used Monster Clay on a CFX display head. CFX advises against using the display heads for sculpting, I can corroborate this. DO NOT use the display head for sculpting (you'll see why in the casting section).

Here's some sculpting progress photos:
IMG_3748.jpgIMG_3749.jpg
IMG_3750.jpgIMG_3751.jpg
IMG_3826.jpgIMG_3827.jpg

here's the final sculpt turnaround:
Moira Turnaround.jpg

On to casting! I cast it as a two part mold. I used Smooth-On's Shell Shock to get the detail layer and Plasti-Paste as the reinforcement layer

First, I built a retaining wall out of cheap watersoluable clay:
IMG_3862.JPG

Shell-shock and plastipaste:
IMG_3864.JPG

Repeat for backside:
IMG_3867.JPGIMG_3868.JPG

Popping the sculpt out of the mold (also, why you don't use the display head):
IMG_3874.JPGIMG_3875.JPG
IMG_3886.JPGIMG_3887.JPG

Here's my casting pictures. I had a lot of trouble with casting. My vent holes didn't vent properly and I made the mask too thin in parts so the silicone didn't distribute correctly. Here's my first cast (using EcoFlex 00-30). My pour spout clogged before I filled the mold.
IMG_3900.jpg

Second cast. I ran out of Ecoflex casting the first mask, so I tried using some DragonSkin 10 that I had on hand. I also vented the mold and poured it in sections:
IMG_3904.jpgIMG_3905.jpg
The mold came out much better, BUT the dragonskin wasn't flexible enough to make a pullover mask. I had to cut it off of the core.
I was running out of money, so I decided to try one more core cast using some Ecoflex that I had rush shipped to me from Smooth-On. I ended up receiving 4 trial sizes because they could only ship me a case, so ended up having enough for two more casts.

I did a second core cast using the EcoFlex 00-30. Again I ran into pour troubles and it ripped pulling it from the mold (frustration levels were running high at this point). Here's a pic of that cast next to the DragonSkin cast (Dragonskin left, Ecoflex right):
IMG_3979.jpg

It was about a week from DragonCon and I decided to do one last ditch effort and do a slush cast. I knew it wouldn't fit the best, but I had already invested a ton of money and time into this and I wanted something to bring to the convention:
IMG_3981.jpgIMG_3982.jpg
And shockingly, it turned out halfway decent!!

(Continued in next post):

I then painted it using Sil-Pig pigments and Psycho paint. Using a combination of techniques with the airbrush and regular brush, I did a quick paint job one afternoon while my son took a nap:
IMG_3987.jpgIMG_3988.jpgIMG_3989.jpgIMG_3990.jpg

We left for DragonCon a couple of days later.
Side Story: I had to bring my mask as a carry-on. The TSA x-rayed it and then gave me a funny look and asked "Do you have a head in your bag?"

Here's some pics at the convention:
IMG_4268.jpgIMG_4270.JPG

My husband and I even got our picture taken by Tested.com!
The Dragon*Con 2013 Cosplay Gallery (550+ Photos) - Tested

Here's a video I made to thank my followers on Tumblr for their support:
(Sorry, I had no means to edit it at the time of uploading)

Here's a quick photoshoot I did a couple of days ago:
IMG_5198.jpgIMG_5194.jpg

Unfortunately, the mask ripped when I tried to put it on in the car without using a mirror right before the shoot. We managed to shoot around it, but I think this costume might be officially retired. On the plus side, I learned a TON about silicone casting from this whole experience and fully intend to make more masks in the future!

Finally, here's my proof photo!
Photo on 10-21-13 at 12.10 PM.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work. I've been wanting to make a mask but it seems a bit out of my league right now. Glad to see it can be done and you haven't completely given up on doing more in the future. I think your mask turned out amazing, sorry it ripped. I might have broken down crying after all that work.

Great work. I've been wanting to make a mask but it seems a bit out of my league right now. Glad to see it can be done and you haven't completely given up on doing more in the future. I think your mask turned out amazing, sorry it ripped. I might have broken down crying after all that work.

Thank you! Honestly, it was such a good learning experience, that alone was worth the trouble, though I was pretty disappointed when it ripped.

p.s. just checked out your tumblr! your kids are so fortunate to have such a talented mom! Great work!

Thank you so much for sharing this, I was about to attempt the same thing you have just listed. So, where the vent holes to small? Will you try that technique again? Only difference is that I was going to use a gel coat mold instead of Shellshock and Plasti-paste. Any other lessons learned and do you have a facebook I can ask questions...?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW...how many layers or amounts when you slush casted?

ShellumusPrime-

The biggest problem that I had with this project was the core of the mold (the head cast). Since it wasn't intended for casting it was structurally weak and kept breaking during the molding process. As a result of patching the seams, the core kept on getting larger (and I didn't make the sculpt thick enough in the first place), so it was becoming difficult for the silicone to circulate in the pouring process, resulting in big pockets of air in the final cast. I added the venting holes, but I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, so they are not in the optimal locations.

I plan on trying to make another silicone mask in the near future, using what I've learned. I will make the sculpture thicker, reinforce the cut areas around the eyes and mouth, and vent it better. I've learned from other mask-makers that some choose to vent from within the core cast, so there is less patching involved. I may try to do this. I've also since bought a nicer head form that is more durable and should survive the molding/casting process.

With regards to the slush casting... I wouldn't recommend it. I was able to get away with it a little better because Moira has so much scar tissue so it could hide the lumpiness. It really results in an uneven cast. I was just desperate to have a wearable product. You can see in this photo from Tested.com that the slush cast resulted in a weird fit (especially around the eyes):
56-52825-dragoncon_2013_284-1378219687.jpg
I don't remember how many layers/ounces the slush cast was. Quite a few, though it was a bit wasteful, since the excess dripped out the bottom.

I got your facebook message, but I thought I would answer here in case anyone else had similar questions... Let me know if you have any more; I'll try my best to answer them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for getting back to me promptly. All I can ask is maybe if you would do a Youtube video showing your next attempt... :)
Also, with using Sil-Pig pigments and Psycho paint, did you have to use anything to thin them with airbrushing. Well, I will try to attempt my mask, maybe this weekend so wish me luck that I both have time and that it is a success. BTW...love the facebook page. I will be in touch.

Yike! One last question, I was going to make a bodysuit, using a skin of dragonskin Plat silicione, and then filling parts with foam, but which would you suggest? Or are you familiar with the process and can direct me? Thanks

No promises about a Youtube video... My video making skills are absolutely terrible :p

I used NOVOCS,a Smooth-on product to thin the psycho paint:
NOVOCS™ GLOSS and NOVOCS™ MATTE Silicone Solvents

But I think you can also use Napthol to thin the psycho paint.I used the Napthol to clean out my airbrush. But be sure to use a lot of safety equipment. The napthol dissolved my vinyl gloves, so be careful!

As far as bodysuits go, I have no real experience with that. I know Immortal Masks (ptgreek on here) makes body suits, maybe they would be able to answer some of your questions? I can't wait to see what you do :D If you post pictures somewhere, please send me a link! And thanks for following me on facebook :D

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back