Removing Taurus 85 grip frame for Mal Firefly pistol conversion.

TurnipyOdour

Does anyone have any detailed info on how the Taurus revolver grip was removed and how the new custom grip was attached?

From the pictures that were posted a couple of months ago of the Serenity version opened up, you get a pretty good idea as to how the rest of the gun was converted, but not the grip section.
The video that was posted at www.fireflyshipworks.com/2008/08/mals-most-favorite-gun/ reveals what's under the walnut grips but you don't get to see under the rear shroud where I guess all the important work was done.

I'm not saying I'm actually going to try this (it's probably something I would never be able to do myself), I'm just wondering what would be involved in converting a deactivated Taurus. There's all these wonderful pulse rifles built with real gun parts, surely Mal's pistol would be a walk in the park to build compared to them.

Thanks.

If the deactivated pistol has all the same attributes as the original firearm, I'd say you could call a local gunshop. Without actually seeing the handle I couldn't tell you.

I know on some pistols produced some of the grips are actually pressed on, and not actually screwed into the piece. Sometimes they put the screws in, and then screw cap covers. It all depends on what model it is.

Here are some pictures of the movie version that were posted. I've lightened them up a bit so the detail is clearer. (thanks to Moffeaton for sharing, F-N-S for hosting the originals, and Pilot for hosting my versions)

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/180908/2597716.jpeg

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/180908/8158426.jpeg

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/180908/1995295.jpeg

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/180908/2389822.jpeg

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/180908/2242824.jpeg

You can see where the joins were made (one behind the trigger guard and one near the hammer) but what would need to be done to any internal mechanisms of the revolver that are in that area?

Thanks.

I believe, the only this in the grip is the main spring. You'd probably have to fabricate a new one along with the new grip frame. There was a thread awhile back covering how the original was made. It had some good info.

Here is a pic of the #2 Serenity/ex-Firefly pistol with the grips and side plates removed.

The frame was cut and the new grip welded on where it narrows down behind the hammer. Hope this helps.

Wow, I've never seen that pic before. Thanks! :thumbsup

I love Mal's pistol, so it's always nice to see new pictures like this.

You are welcome. You haven't sen that pic before, because I disassembled the pistol completely and photographed it for reference pics a couple of months ago.

I know this thread is long dead...but is there any way cbacton that you could share your reference pictures with the rest of us so that we can get a better understanding of the internals and construction of this pistol. (a ruler in shot would be super awesome if it is not to much trouble)

Thanks!

Hi Coeptus and everyone else!

I am finally able to get back online and rejoin the living, well the computer using geeks who live here on the RPF anyway!

To answer your question, yes I can. Below is a link to all the pictures I took when I had access to the pistol. At that time I could only reference the #2 hero pistol as the #1 was on loan to the National Firearms Museum for an exhibit on Hollywood guns. After a lot of asking and being a pain in the butt, I finally got permission to photograph the pistol in detail. I really wanted to take it apart and see how it had been put together as I was, and still am although it has been on hold, building a working version of the pistol using a stainless Taurus Model 85 as the base gun. The last few pictures in the album this pistol with the new grip welded on. Since I only had one shot to get really detailed pictures and it had to be during my lunch hour, I was moving pretty fast to get it disassembled and reassembled in time. I did not have the best camera so the resolution is not what I would like but you can see most every detail and both sides of most of the parts. Instead of using a scale in the pictures, I used a digital caliper to show dimensions as its faster and a bit more accurate than scaling from the pictures.

Anyway here is the link to the album:
Mals Pistol From Serenity And Firefly Photos by cbacton | Photobucket

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Clark, those pictures are fantastic! Thank you for sharing them.

A couple of years after I started this thread I acquired a full set of production made pieces and a deactivated Taurus, so these pictures will be extremely helpful if I ever get it built up.

Oh, you too, huh? :)

Yep. :D

Here are some of the pieces on a S&W model 36...

DSCF3605b-rpf2.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Moly! You have no idea how awesome these are! Confirmed a few guesses of mine, and blew some of my assumptions away as well. I can't thank you enough!

Hi Coeptus and everyone else!

I am finally able to get back online and rejoin the living, well the computer using geeks who live here on the RPF anyway!

To answer your question, yes I can. Below is a link to all the pictures I took when I had access to the pistol. At that time I could only reference the #2 hero pistol as the #1 was on loan to the National Firearms Museum for an exhibit on Hollywood guns. After a lot of asking and being a pain in the butt, I finally got permission to photograph the pistol in detail. I really wanted to take it apart and see how it had been put together as I was, and still am although it has been on hold, building a working version of the pistol using a stainless Taurus Model 85 as the base gun. The last few pictures in the album this pistol with the new grip welded on. Since I only had one shot to get really detailed pictures and it had to be during my lunch hour, I was moving pretty fast to get it disassembled and reassembled in time. I did not have the best camera so the resolution is not what I would like but you can see most every detail and both sides of most of the parts. Instead of using a scale in the pictures, I used a digital caliper to show dimensions as its faster and a bit more accurate than scaling from the pictures.

Anyway here is the link to the album:
Mals Pistol From Serenity And Firefly Photos by cbacton | Photobucket

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH, making a 3D printed version, your pics are AMAZIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back