Remember The Time by Michael Jackson

Jessica

I have been tasked with making these costumes...but for kids. As soon as I find out who will play Eddie Murphy's part, I am so totally going to start up the helmet by carving down green flower blocks, hotgluing some type of macaroni, and spraying it down with gold paint.

Remember-The-Time-michael-jackson-11204899-709-530.jpg

Anybody have any suggestions for making the gold portion of Michael Jackson's costume?

My deadline is June, so I need to get started now. It doesn't have to be that accurate but it needs to look great and not home-made.

I just found out that my 7-year Ashton is going to play Eddie Murphy's part, and my oldest son, Dylan is going to play Michael Jackson's part....I purchased supplies to work on the hats and have ordered the mylar tape. Tomorrow I will work on the hats for the king and queen. I bought a ball of white foam to carve for the king's hat.

Total spent so far: $50 fabric, $30 mylar tape, $80 art supplies...for a total of $160.

Here's the queen's hat. Remember, the Queen is only going to be 8 years old...so I took some artistic liberties....I just need to sculpt the cobra. God it looks like crap...but 30 feet away when it's onstage...you won't really notice.

DSC08277.jpg

DSC08275.jpg

DSC08274.jpg

I'm starting on the king's hat now...

I kind of splurged on the gold trim because I did not want to drive to the bigger store and basically got what they had available at Michael's....so now the running total is $170.

It's going to take me forever to sculpt the little circles on the hat...so I found a quick solution...I need to go to the grocery store and buy some more of this cereal and the plan is to cover up the hat with a type of thin fabric I find in my stash...spray it with glue, put the cereal on top and spray the hell out of it with gold...

DSC08285.jpg

DSC08286.jpg

DSC08287.jpg

Change of plans...because I needed something that was not so fragile. Bought two packages of this, for $1.00.

DSC08288.jpg

Elmer's glue was taking too long...so I ended up using hot glue.

DSC08292.jpg

DSC08293.jpg

Almost done! I just have to make sure it fits properly...adjust...and then glue down the helmet liner. And add the glitter paper on the front panel.

DSC08295.jpg

DSC08296.jpg

I'm very impressed with how this is coming along. And your kids are so cute!
Do you have to make the staffs that Eddie Murphy is holding in the photo? I can't see the one very clearly, but the other could be the top of a cane or umbrella sawed off. Or in a pinch, you could use one of those candy cane-shaped sleeves that come filled with candy. On his collar, is that beadwork? Are you going to do that or maybe paint/glue them onto thick material?

Awesome ! keep the photo's coming, Will you video the dance? If so put the link up.
Just gotta love Michael Jackson, keep him alive !.

Almost done! I just have to make sure it fits properly...adjust...and then glue down the helmet liner. And add the glitter paper on the front panel.

DSC08295.jpg

DSC08296.jpg

WoW!!!!!! That has to be one of the most creative uses of food I have ever seen! When you first mentioned using some type of macaroni I was scratching my head... but seriously. WoW! Awesome, awesome job! Can't wait to see the rest.

For the collars, I don't know yet until I cross that bridge. I am thinking of getting vinyl and hot gluing some velcro to get a cone-ish shape that would drape over the collar bone. Not sure if I am saying that clearly enough...and then probably hot gluing some kind of cheap plastic jewelry I find. We have to go super cheap...I already spent $171 and I have not purchased yarn for the girl dancers hair and headdress material for the boy dancers. Today I will measure the kids.

Yesterday I decided to rework the queen's hat to remove the stitches and just use hot glue...but I messed up and the front looks messy. Luckily I can slap on some more foam on top of that and it will be an easy fix.

Yes we will videotape. This is for that show I am hoping to find some costumers to participate in to add some Hollywood flavor on June 30.

If I have time, I will do the staff--if I can find some of that plastic Christmas candy cane lawn stuff that I can melt into the right shape.

Last edited:
Maybe I went a little too dark with the front panel...it's a little bronze...but I like it.
DSC08302.jpg

DSC08303.jpg

Here's what I came up with for the jewels for the collars...because the little tiny jewels were going to be very expensive and time consuming to hot glue down. This is peel and stick glitter foam. I will just cut the shapes out and peel and stick to the vinyl collars. I have 60 days to return whatever I don't use, in case I bought too much.

The running total for the project now is...$200.

DSC08304.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back