Rem - Deathnote // Build Thread - COMPLETE

Re: Rem - Deathnote // Build Thread

This is amazing stuff dude! Really nice work on the sculpting. Good to see it's all happening in the Briz.

Looking at your body type I think you could sculpt a great Lord Rator/Zabel from Darkstalkers. That was a character I always wanted to attempt but I dont have the body type. The chest would have to extend out a bit. Plus the shoulders and hips would have to widen some. Anything to make your core look smaller.

With your skills I think you could do it.

UPDATE TIME!

Not far off now!!! :D :D :D

I spent several hours testing different ways to paint bone on the feet, then proceeded to test a technique I figured out on one of the legs. The leg is a bit dark at the moment, so will need to lighten it up but I really like the look.

Basically:

2/1 Black / Raw Umber Ink = Base coat (1/1 ration ink to latex) + ( 1/5 [ink/latex] to Cloudy ammonia) The ammonia is for airbrush thinning.
Cover all lower areas, and hit the surfaces as well if you want dark 'bleed through' spots.

Then 1/1 paint to brush latex mix - The paint is 2 drops smoked pearl to 5 drops chinese white. Using a sponge either dab or 'smudge' across the surface with the white (dab out streaks). I built this up with 3 layers of the mix to achieve decent coverage - I used a heatgun between layers to dry the paint.

Next, where i spent lots of time trying out different thinning methods - One notable awesome failure but good to know for future = adding latex into isopropyl causes it to frizzle immediately into a brain kind of look. If you need mushed brain, do this :)

OK, Three colors thinned for 'flicking' on via short brush to give age/depth etc.

These are 'mont marte' brand acrylic paint I bought from a dollar store (They are actually excellent paints). all thinned harshly so the effect is more subtle

Applied in order:
CADMIUM YELLOW + ISOPROPYL
SCARLET + few drops black ink to get a maroon color + WATER = I found water made it behave more how i wanted vs. Isopropyl.
Ultramarine blue + ISOPROPYL - Gives an old 'vein stain' look.

Then hit the lower areas with the dark chocolate again, then brushed the white mix over the high points to tie it back together.

OK PICS!
This is just after the flicking, needs white on higher areas.
GQNMfmR3

Full view of the leg:
2AGcnaeV

OHH and for the shoulder spikes:

I broke the molds by doing this, mainly due to them not being thick enough + the latex REALLY stuck hard for some reason? I made the latex skins in the mold, then dropped in AB foam. Cut holes out of the torso, pinned spikes in place then joined the seams with several layers of brush latex and a heat gun to speed things up - Since there is no real 'texture' This way is much quicker than cabopatching :) - If it was textured then I wouldve seam it properly LOL.

HWAI1VDo

FINALLY//

Here is an unlisted video for you guys to see all the parts in chocolate brown xD (Dont share this video, since Its still fairly on the downlow locally here)

Rem Progress / Base coat down - YouTube

Thanks for checking in guys!! :D

Update time!!!

IT IS PAINTED!!! :p check it out here : (Once again, unlisted video so please dont share)_

Ive also made a start on the wings this weekend. The basic idea is : Make a solid frame that restricts 'travel' of the wings poking through the skeletal suit.

Made a design with some nifty grid paper, and used 3x40mm aluminium strips, hinges, MDF, PVC pipe and a butt load of bolts and Nylock nuts (I LOVE NYLOCKKKK!)

Here we are :

I9l3YyYr

QggcZFrn

N3MYbDp6

Note : The 6 square pieces that poke out need to be folded back, and will have a total of 4 luggage straps (2 each side) that can be tightened to 'clamp' my body better.

So the PVC pipe will have the wings built onto them - the frame will sit underneath the latex suit, with the 6 bolts poking through, and the wings then slot on and are locked down with wingnuts.|

The next step on this frame is building a canvas jacket around the frame (oh and adding foam padding to the underside of the metal first)

Best thing about this? it only weighs 1-2 KG. LIGHTWEIGHT! :D

Oh and to bend aluminium on the cheap?

$12 steel trolley wheel :
A5V8kjTg

Clamp with foot pressure
2Qmaf9EL

abobAyB2

g0VDGkyQ

then repeat!
unhUW7y8

Also, its a shame no one will see the alu of the frame, but damn does it polish nicely :
bQ2LL1Z9

Last edited:

Wow. Have been meaning to check in on this project since forever. It's looking great!

Ok quick update!

Had to sculpt the head of the character 'Gelus' as a 3/4 mask for my partner. Smashed this out in about 3 hours (hit the 'zone' really quickly and was shocked that it was pretty much done before i knew it xD )

heres a youtube video of it (because video is currently better than stills) :
ALSO :

Nwerke, Alyssa, and Alpha - Thanks for checking in guys :D I dont know how many people are following this thread but Im happy that at least a few talented people are watching and giving feedback, it actually means a lot! thank you guys :) !!!

Last edited:

Seriously, you are doing some stellar work here and more people should be watching. I am really looking forward to seeing it all come together!!

Fantastic job!! Looking forward to seeing this finished :) :thumbsup

I have now used contact ashesive to attach foam padding to the inside/outside of the alu. frame. I removed a few parts my partner and I deemed unneccesary since the straps are going to be on the fabric now rather than interlocking on the frame (I dont have pictures of the fabric covered frame yet, but I assure you I giggled like a child when she showed me - its epicly awesome!)
Heres pictures of the foam covering anyways:

TUO2hOiS

VILs323r

As for Gelus' head, I bought some Hydrocal to try out - Holy amazeballs! that stuff is incredible! Strong, holds detail, and on casting soaks up the moisture REALLLLLY quickly - As I prefer to slush cast latex, it only took 2 hours for it to get to a thick wall and its winter here as well!, the torso in the middle of summer took longer than that with the cheaper plaster.

Pictures:
kvdUvnXN

sQB0unC6

wTV9vBZH

^ just realised, I mentioned its the middle of winter. And I'm wearing thongs. 'Casting Level : Australian'. xD

And a video of the casting completed! :
(Oh, I just figured out how to embed videos. YAYYY!!! :3)

So, I SHOULD start painting this head tonight (I have a cold coming on I think, ill see how drained I feel this afternoon ><)
At least most things are nearing the completion stage on this project - All thats left is : Complete wings, Paint Gelus, Make a portal stage prop (easier than it sounds), face prosthetics/practice application , and the wig. I Think this should all be done within the next 4 weeks, getting excited!!! :D :D :D

Last edited:

Looks great man!! I love Hydrocal, I use a version of it (ultracal 30) up here and it's amazing.

(BTW thongs mean something completely different on this side of the world....)

Thongs / sandals / flip flops , same deal lolololololololol

(on second inspection, a shot saying 'im wearing a thong' and it has my crotch and legs.... nothing suss!)

Just like 'rubbers' (Erasers). Ahhh, the 'australian' language, turning bad words into everyday use hahahahaha xD

Sweet!

One more thing ticked off the list! Gelus' head is painted!

Last edited:

The black hole in the middle of the white section needs to be cut put and black fabric will be attached inside, my partner will have limited eyesight but enough for what we need this outfit is mostly for the stage performance so practicing is a must more than anything to avoid problems xD)

Booyah!

Wings are done!!!!!!!

All ive got left to do now is finish off the wig (dipping 25 hair strands through latex tonight, then sewing to beanie, add bandages, then color the tips blue, should be done next weekend :) And also the face prosthetics (Doing a fresh face cast with my friend soon :p)

Here are the wing pics :

For future readers looking to make light weight wings - I have not seen anyone else use this method (someone mustve figured it out?)

The basic ingredients for this are : PVC frame, then structure is formed withhhhh : ALUMINIUM DOOR MESH! (NO chicken wire!) the mesh can be cut with scissors, reinforced structurally with wire, and actually folds where you want it to - and finally, is inifitely lighter than chicken wire !!! TRY IT OUT!!!!!!!

I cut 2 sets of the patterns of the wings out of calico and with an annoying amount of hand sewing (lots of blood lost) i attach the calico to the mesh. On the mesh, i left extra lengths so it could wrap around the pipe and sewed it through - then backed that up by drilling self tapping screws through the mesh into the pvc.

Then, I used padding foam intended for pvc pipes, glued it on, then carve it back to create an uneven surface on the pipe, and finally coated that with latex and chux cloth to smooth it out a bit.

Both wings took a total of 2 litres of latex to coat, then painted with the bone look. done! :D
pYwuUw2H

51rRW48y

aj00sMSc

^ thats how lightweight the wings are, i can lift it up and down with my pinky finger :)
SRHpXNG4

Ejram8u8

Hey guys! Havent updated this yet, been buy with things.

BUT.

ITS IS COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My partner and I entered the Australian World Cosplay Summit Finals a few weekends ago.... AND WE WON!! OMG!! :D :D :D
So we are off to Japan in July next year to represent Australia for the World Cosplay Summit! Man, its still sinking in that we won. Excited to start a new project and apply everything I learnt during the Rem Build :D

Here are some pics of the completed outfit :

85hmxiFX

eLd4P9K8

EmCAEtPP

You can watch the skit we did here as well :
[video]https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151906132366449[/video]

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back