Rem - Deathnote // Build Thread - COMPLETE

elro

Hey Guys!
Well, this sculpture sub thread has been made at a good time as Ive just started sculpting!
(along with that, im not entering the comp as I dont want to pressure myself with this build). This outfit is actually for next year, but ive got a lot to do, so earlier than later is the best time to start ;)

(Oh and for those of you watching my HEV suit build, this is on hold until I can find a place to work with chemicals + power tools, Im actually really happy I can use clay in my garage - No travelling to get things done for once!)

Ok here is the character im building (minus the wings as they are normally retracted most of the time) :
4008_press05-001.jpg

So the build thread begins! - Summarised, I made a cloth tape expanding foam mannequin for the base, and im sculpting wed clay over the arms, legs, and torso. The hair will be wig ill have to construct and the face and eye will be a prosthetic and latex makeup.

IMPORTANT (so you dont think im entirely terrible at sculpting) : Im unable to make molds or do casting in my garage, so I have to transport these parts over to my friends house to do all the molds when time comes - But first thing after the move will be the main fixes to the surfaces and finer details will be applied. For now, im just get the main parts down, getting all my proportions right etc.
Basically, if I do the details now, the cling wrap and transport trip will negate any effort put it in so itll have to wait until they are moved ;)

Pictures speak for themselves, hope you enjoy the progress so far :

9nVTxEia

CYGM4AjH

W7EPxwIt

lipmVd86

aW0ga1pR

rc62X6Yp

Y8bQoalJ

DduStW8g

KhzB38cP

5rBaSwEc

6VQuwDrW

First time working with wed clay. this stuff is reallllllllll nice to work with!

Last edited:
Re: Rem - Deathnote // Build Thread

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!

SO after taking a break from working on Costumes (after finishing the FF weapons, which i still need to update my thread there with the completed pictures), Ive continued working on Rem :D (HEV suit is still on hold, waiting for payday as im going to layer it in apoxie sculpt, seems to be a good surface layer over body filler and glass) anyways, back on topic..

I got myself a table to work on downstairs in my garage, and some shelves etc. to put stuff in (thank god for a useable work space finally!!!) :p
Cq6v20FU

SO as of now, the arms are currently stored in airtight cling wrap, have done most of the block details and shaping, and will be doing the final touches and details right before molding time. They have been wrapped for a few weeks now, and are staying soft so the wrap job worked :p

And now new progress ! I decided to start on a leg. You can see I have a shoe taped on at the bottom, this ensures my foot will be happily inside the sculpt, and also give more of a foot proportion (The pair of shoes were on special at KMART for $2! :D). Ive only done work on the shin as of now, need to do the calf next, then move on to the thigh. I plan to wear the legs with straps extending around my shoulders, with a breast strap across to stop the material straying, and from that ill attach the arm gloves with straps and clips also. Enough talk now , here are the pics !!!

This is the reference im using the for the calves, it has a much more aesthetically pleasing look out of the different interpretation - Also, its closest to the undetailed shots in the anime.
death-note-rem-figure-4076-p%5Bekm%5D300x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

CFWUZRZD

lvsEkPmC

33KAi7S2

m0yYcyr5

yIJntaGX

8UWTd3Ny

9NI47DuP

And Wrapped up at the end of the night :D
IWNsAKWM

Am hoping to continue on this on Saturday, so Ill see how it goes :D

So I did manage to get some time into this project on Saturday. The leg is almost done (For this stage at least, once molding time is closer and I have dried the clay out a bit I will need to clean the surfaces and perform smaller details, its too wet to hold fine detail atm).

So All thats left on this leg is :

1. Adjust all the rear lines so they intersect randomly to give a more tendon effect
2. Add a small 'neck' around the top of the leg (so the part will fit snuggly around the leg once cast)
3. Add some small ridges on the shin.
4. General tidying up of the edges etc.

Not too much work left here as of now, then its onto doing the hard part - Mirroring the work onto the other leg xD

And here are pics! :

IplKYHDP

7eP2ZDrD

DVgBQ0D4

0v3wj8gN

6cnoLBcY

BwZPL7LN

kWhCbIV7

YAYYYY this is coming along well, and WELL ahead of its due date (Next year August/September), I suppose the quicker I get this done the more time I'll have for more projects xD

I Know, I should have made the armature first - But I was excited to get stuff done.

So, after not being able to find simple methods on the net I decided to slap my own together (the stands are 1 metre high, so this is good for large body parts with foam internals). Sooooooo - You lucky people just got a cheap / non fancy / effective armature tutorial! - Enjoy!!!

Un46dEtx

A minor textual update :

Will be scrapping the front thigh progress when I continue on this tonight / tomorrow, The majority of reference pictures of the character look more like vomit recasted in plaster... (Ugly I know), but Ive chosen a mixture of asthetics of this pictures, along with the smoothness presented in the anime portrayal of the character.

Ive figured my version is currently looking too armorish, and scrapping it will help achieve a much more bone structure inspired look respective to the character design. Ill post new progress pictures tomorrow night ;)

WOW!:eek... Man this is just AMAZING!!!

I will follow this thread with great interest:love... keep it up!(y)thumbsup

cheers!

Ok, UPDATE :

Have torn up all the current leg work (AHAHAHHAHAHHAH. *EVIL LAUGH*)

Was not satisfied with following the anime / Figurine version of the character. I only managed to get 2 hours work back onto the leg on Saturday, but have blocked in, and started refining the leg shape respective to the movie version *(I figure, the creators made Rem look different in the movie - BECAUSE if she was real, that is how she should look. I would only later regret no making the movie version, so I should just go all out and make the live version instead. Better to stop and restart now than later. No big loss ;) )

Here are some quick shots after the 2 hours (Not currently as 'pretty' as it was, but after some more work tonight (If it isnt too cold) it will look a lot better. Also, have the BluRay of the deathnote movie on the way, so ill have some good quality ref. pics to run with soon :D

Bugger. Phone is flat... Will upload them once its on charge soon...

OK here is the new progress @ 2 hours in. Have to condense the upper 2 parts of the shin (As illustrated in the final pic), and attempt to make it all appear VERY skinny (Quite challenging as the character looks as if they have been stretched more than William Wallace in the final scene of Braveheart xD)

CpFOVDsD

SiLdNxvA

AODr2LOr

ev45uyYQ

hOwTyc9q

OK!!!!!!!

So, I went home yesterday after work. Normally, my afternoon ritual is go to the convienience store up the road, buy some liquid energy cans, have a smoke etc... I more or less pulled up, jumped out the car and marched like a trooper straight into my garage. I had new shoes and pants on (Which I bought the day before) and just started hammering into the sculpt (No shoes or pants were hurt in my motivated state).

Last night was a really satisfying night, I hit the 'zone' state, tuned out for 6 hours straight and got the job well on the way to being done. I think last night is a good show of myself improving at sculpting (Keep in mind, this is my first free form sculpt (Laying plasticine ontop of PEP is very different), So I was able to actually achieve a state of happiness with my work / condensing the height of the character design into human dimensions (which is slight battle of making the piece appearing longer than it actually is, I think ive got the effect down pat now).

Now im just waiting on the BluRay of the death note movie in the mail so I can collect detailed reference pics of behind the shin (Which is only in one scene from a distance >< Ill do my best with it. Too bad I cant get the actual 3d model lol).

OK enough aspergerish blabber, here are the pics ;) :

4D2Y3sre

stcr2Moh

NOHC8AfJ

nXlVtrWx

eLOKemp3

JOdOdvCB

AND here is a comparison to the anime / figurine version I was originally following... I think we can all agree taking on the challenge of creating the live action version is turning out to be a good choice.
mLuw1p36

Very excited to keep working on this again tomorrow night!!! (Have a birthday to attend tonight xD)

Last edited:

Hey guys!

I've gotten another 3 hours onto this build (Its bloody winter here, and a concrete garage isnt the most pleasant place to be this time of year) - Oh that reminds me of something last night :

There I was, working away on the build and thinking to myself "awww yeah, getting stuff done, being totally badass. Feeling pretty good right now! Having a great night!!!"
-Then, life decides to step in and let me know other people are probably having a better night than I am... well, one of my neighbours were being very loud (If you know what I mean)..." immediately I realised that there are other things that would've made my night better. I felt very cold and lonely in the garage. >< LOL.

Anyways, back to the update :

3 hours work : FInished off boney flesh on left leg, added some bone cracks to see what it looks like (((((((ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO SCULPT BONE CRACKS, AND TIPS ON PAINTING IT????)))), Started on right leg, finished shin flairs. Next is thigh and boney flesh area. and here are pics :

HJqgdQAN

3WBJPPxw

Here is the boney cracks, not entirely convinced by how they look. Have inspected some real life bones but havent managed to reproduce the same sort of look >< I figure a lot of the effect will come out in the painting stage (things like old vein stains present on bones). But yeah, any suggestions tips etc would be greatly appreciated!!!
7o8IgUPy

Side by side view (I just realised i took these at different distances, they are actually more mirror like in RL xD).
FDyLIvV9

And there we go! Hoping to do some more work tonight, if not, definetly tomorrow!!!!!!!!

OK, so last weekend I got a head cast done... It was great when it was over. Its the middle of winter here, Had to cast twice - The first lot of plaster bandage never kicked, most likely a bad batch >< I sat in the head cast for 2 1/2 hours in the bloody cold with only a plastic bag around my body in 5-10 degree celcius weather. It sucked.:S

The second time round, the back of the head from the first cast had actually set, so we decided to reapply it and just do the front again. It turned out fine :p

So, ill be able to sculpt the eye, chin, and wig parts directly off the top of my cast :p
and pics :

8sJaOeyR

CJfmSbUE

hdpVIvMt

eGC7pf1j

This weekend, I didnt get any progress made though >< , BUT, My GF is heading interstate this coming weekend, so I shall aim to spend as long as possible in my garage this weekend. REALLY looking forward to working on the chest, am currently half way through mirroring the leg (and we all know that is sometimes a pain in the rear xD )

God mate I love seeing first-time sculptors ace it. Nice going!

Re the bones, best thing might just be to look up some real-life reference of bone sutures and come as close as you can? I suck at painting so it'dbe bog-standard washes and drybrushing for me...

God mate I love seeing first-time sculptors ace it. Nice going!

Thanks mate! That really means alot coming from you! :D :D :D

Mostly just having a lot of fun sculpting, and keep working the clay until im happy with it xD (Still need to do a refine run over everything, but there is no point at this stage since i keep it wrapped in plastic bin bags, any detail added would be distorted. Basically will finalise surface detail the same day or so as the mold gets done.

Re the bones, best thing might just be to look up some real-life reference of bone sutures and come as close as you can? I suck at painting so it'dbe bog-standard washes and drybrushing for me...

I have been looking at some dog skulls my friend has in his studio (He was given the skull, dont know the name of the dog, so its been nicknamed michael jordan).
I am actually heading out 2 hours west this weekend to my tax accountant (who lives near my parents, so its a win/win trip), so Im thinking of catching up with some farmer friends to see if they have any old bones laying about (Of cows, goats, etc that is. Fairly normal thing to see laying around out there) So ill take some latex and a heat gun along to take some texture stamps :p

OH, and out of interest, the leg on the right in the picture (Technically, the 'left' leg), Ignore the two finger sized holes on the knee and shin. These were simply depth checks to see how far i had to build the other shin out xD

Last edited:

OK! Legs are pretty much done *(Apart from the calf area, need to get references from the blu ray of the movie...which is a few seconds in one scene that is kinda blurry ><). The legs are wrapped up, and waiting for the day they will be cleaned up, textured, and molded :p So now onto the chest!!! :D (been looking forward to the chest, hope I can get the proportions looking right. For those of you who know the character, the headpiece will contain the stapled next part, and the chest part will only be boney masses. I think the seam will hide much better that way.

And pics :

DFkUG1Fw

j1MpYSQH

AOYRrbay

g6BuBDiZ

8VZpXXJD

TdTGil0E

iCxGAhPI

OK!

Spent 4 1/2 hours with the chest last night. Started with nothing, ended with the following pics!!! :D

5rv0ac4a

v0qIxm4P

84nSIisz

rzlQ2zdK

Gmw4DiNi

kBNL9Vmr

l4m4ks08

iEn63N9l

NKUOTd3a

The previous Images brought to you by Samsung MP3 + V energy :
yY6xy1hn

xD

This is amazing!! :eek I have to follow this and see it when it is finished...

You were talking earlier about trying to make some bony cracks in the legs and whatnot... I want to preface this by saying that my experience with sculpting is limited to what I did in my high school art class, so take this idea for what it's worth :lol

Anyway, I was thinking, what if you got some sewing thread and let it drop naturally on one of your pieces, repositioned it as necessary, then gently pressed the thread into the clay to leave an impression? Then you could pull it up out of the clay and "sharpen" or widen some of the impressions to look more angular and crack-like? Then when you go to paint it, it'd be really easy to just slop a brown wash into the cracks and dry-brush the edges....

Like I said, limited experience with sculpting, so take that as you will.

I'm excited to see where this goes!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back