"Relaunching the Gemini 12" From LOST IN SPACE part 1

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

SSR

One other (obvious) thought.
Those of us who grew up watching Irwin Allen productions are getting to that age where:

- Building scale models is becoming more of a challenge (eyesight/motor skills)
- Housing is being down-sized / storage space more limited.
- Realization that (for modelers) we'll never build everything we have stashed away

Something smaller/prebuilt to a modelers exacting standard that they can cross off the "To Do" list might be of value.
Again, the challenge is "what value" ?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Highliners

One other (obvious) thought.
Those of us who grew up watching Irwin Allen productions are getting to that age where:

- Building scale models is becoming more of a challenge (eyesight/motor skills)
- Housing is being down-sized / storage space more limited.
- Realization that (for modelers) we'll never build everything we have stashed away

Something smaller/prebuilt to a modelers exacting standard that they can cross off the "To Do" list might be of value.
Again, the challenge is "what value" ?
Your comments are much appreciated. That said, as you have correctly pointed out, this is why I am on here. A price commitment for tooling done in the U.S. makes it a relatively "pricey" kit as does the relatively large photo-etched sheet nickel-silver Fusion Core sheathing which is essential for an exact scale model of the original filmed miniature in this comparatively small scale.

For an unlit and basic saucer kit, including these physically large (as in expensive to produce) Fusion Core's sheathing as nickel-silver photo-etchings, and including the filmed miniature's interior correctly replicated, with a clear plastic simplified display stand, it would have to be price-estimated to be somewhere around $150.

As an add-on to the basic unlighted, non-operating saucer kit, I have envisioned an upgrade kit with many operational injection-molded A.B.S. parts, with pre-wired multiple switches, battery holders, motor, warm white LED etc. This motorized/lighting upgrade kit is also intended to be added to an already built and painted ship, or from the assembly onset. This aspect has been thoroughly addressed and designed as such, as an easily to install add-on. It will operate the super-smooth, to-scale; low and medium RPM (2 speeds!) illuminated & spinning Fusion Core, with the behind the windows interior lighting, (including glowing amber interior portholes) with a price estimated as coming in a bit under $95.

I had also planned to offer a completely built, painted, lighted and operating version of this Gemini 12 with Launch Tower :

g12.jpg

The Launch Tower itself, assembled from photo-etched nickel silver sheet stock as seen above (and in the initial image posted on this thread) including 9 lighted sub miniature flood lamps using warm white SMD 0402 LED's, and along with a lit, and in full color "Alpha Control" (no one seems to have noticed the original "A. C." was a huge B&W photo mural, it was never seen in color!) rendered as a light box (LED illumination) back-drop, or background. But as this version would be an extremely limited offering, each one having been custom built by myself. The price would obviously be comparatively steep. But then again there would be the "provenance" of the thing to consider.

"Pre-built" is the bane of domestic U.S. manufacture as with the innumerable Chinese-made toys, people here have gotten used to undo-able pricing if things were to be done here in the U.S. Do any of you fully realize they are "affordable" because those factory workers over there (and I have been there many times) are little more than... well, you know!

You haven't mentioned the "Kit Collectors". Those who buy two kits; one to open and peruse but not build, while the other remaining sealed as an "investment".

And lastly as to a full sized exact duplicate of the prop: There's one that already exists, that just might be "for sale", and with actual screen use (as seen elsewhere). Yet I haven't heard a single inquiry or request in that regard. I doubt many realize just how large this thing actually is, nor what it would have to cost.

I'd very much appreciate other people commenting here as well! And what each and everyone says will be given a good deal of consideration regarding this entire matter.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Gojira61

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Interested in both the Gemini 12 (kit or built) and the Lunch Tower. I think the size is perfect, I'm a little display space challenged and at this size it's perfect for me.

kitjunky

I’m a huge LIS fan and only just stumbled on this thread. I’m in the B9 builders club and I’m working on my own life size bubble headed booby. This is great stuff and I greatly appreciate the research and info. I grew up on this show. The old school prop/ship modelers were and are geniuses still today IMO. Please keep this stuff coming. LIS fans are all still out here.

enterprise0216

Sr Member
LIS Fan for sure Irwin Allen was a visionary and I always watching his different shows. LIS Gemini 12 has always been on my list of having. So many here have listed great solid points and I agree with SSR. Interested and following this thread it’s intriguing and as the word spreads other LIS Fan will eventually run into this thread. High liners thanks for the detailed info and look forward to see how this evolves thank you.

adinelt

Long time LIS fan. Liked the Gemini XII over the Jupiter 2. Would definitely be interested in a Gemini XII if you make it available.

I 3D model on the computer now as my hands and eyes aren't what they used to be. Putting this here in case anyone else is interested in the Gemini XII.

y3a

I plan to sell my 4" Jupiter 2 hull and collected bits to make it work like the Hero, and buy a Gemini 12 with all the extras! All I need is a paypay target.