"Relaunching the Gemini 12" From LOST IN SPACE part 1

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

SSR

One other (obvious) thought.
Those of us who grew up watching Irwin Allen productions are getting to that age where:

- Building scale models is becoming more of a challenge (eyesight/motor skills)
- Housing is being down-sized / storage space more limited.
- Realization that (for modelers) we'll never build everything we have stashed away

Something smaller/prebuilt to a modelers exacting standard that they can cross off the "To Do" list might be of value.
Again, the challenge is "what value" ?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Highliners

One other (obvious) thought.
Those of us who grew up watching Irwin Allen productions are getting to that age where:

- Building scale models is becoming more of a challenge (eyesight/motor skills)
- Housing is being down-sized / storage space more limited.
- Realization that (for modelers) we'll never build everything we have stashed away

Something smaller/prebuilt to a modelers exacting standard that they can cross off the "To Do" list might be of value.
Again, the challenge is "what value" ?
Your comments are much appreciated. That said, as you have correctly pointed out, this is why I am on here. A price commitment for tooling done in the U.S. makes it a relatively "pricey" kit as does the relatively large photo-etched sheet nickel-silver Fusion Core sheathing which is essential for an exact scale model of the original filmed miniature in this comparatively small scale.

For an unlit and basic saucer kit, including these physically large (as in expensive to produce) Fusion Core's sheathing as nickel-silver photo-etchings, and including the filmed miniature's interior correctly replicated, with a clear plastic simplified display stand, it would have to be price-estimated to be somewhere around $150.

As an add-on to the basic unlighted, non-operating saucer kit, I have envisioned an upgrade kit with many operational injection-molded A.B.S. parts, with pre-wired multiple switches, battery holders, motor, warm white LED etc. This motorized/lighting upgrade kit is also intended to be added to an already built and painted ship, or from the assembly onset. This aspect has been thoroughly addressed and designed as such, as an easily to install add-on. It will operate the super-smooth, to-scale; low and medium RPM (2 speeds!) illuminated & spinning Fusion Core, with the behind the windows interior lighting, (including glowing amber interior portholes) with a price estimated as coming in a bit under $95.

I had also planned to offer a completely built, painted, lighted and operating version of this Gemini 12 with Launch Tower :

g12.jpg

The Launch Tower itself, assembled from photo-etched nickel silver sheet stock as seen above (and in the initial image posted on this thread) including 9 lighted sub miniature flood lamps using warm white SMD 0402 LED's, and along with a lit, and in full color "Alpha Control" (no one seems to have noticed the original "A. C." was a huge B&W photo mural, it was never seen in color!) rendered as a light box (LED illumination) back-drop, or background. But as this version would be an extremely limited offering, each one having been custom built by myself. The price would obviously be comparatively steep. But then again there would be the "provenance" of the thing to consider.

"Pre-built" is the bane of domestic U.S. manufacture as with the innumerable Chinese-made toys, people here have gotten used to undo-able pricing if things were to be done here in the U.S. Do any of you fully realize they are "affordable" because those factory workers over there (and I have been there many times) are little more than... well, you know!

You haven't mentioned the "Kit Collectors". Those who buy two kits; one to open and peruse but not build, while the other remaining sealed as an "investment".

And lastly as to a full sized exact duplicate of the prop: There's one that already exists, that just might be "for sale", and with actual screen use (as seen elsewhere). Yet I haven't heard a single inquiry or request in that regard. I doubt many realize just how large this thing actually is, nor what it would have to cost.

I'd very much appreciate other people commenting here as well! And what each and everyone says will be given a good deal of consideration regarding this entire matter.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Gojira61

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Interested in both the Gemini 12 (kit or built) and the Lunch Tower. I think the size is perfect, I'm a little display space challenged and at this size it's perfect for me.

kitjunky

I’m a huge LIS fan and only just stumbled on this thread. I’m in the B9 builders club and I’m working on my own life size bubble headed booby. This is great stuff and I greatly appreciate the research and info. I grew up on this show. The old school prop/ship modelers were and are geniuses still today IMO. Please keep this stuff coming. LIS fans are all still out here.

enterprise0216

Sr Member
LIS Fan for sure Irwin Allen was a visionary and I always watching his different shows. LIS Gemini 12 has always been on my list of having. So many here have listed great solid points and I agree with SSR. Interested and following this thread it’s intriguing and as the word spreads other LIS Fan will eventually run into this thread. High liners thanks for the detailed info and look forward to see how this evolves thank you.

adinelt

Long time LIS fan. Liked the Gemini XII over the Jupiter 2. Would definitely be interested in a Gemini XII if you make it available.

I 3D model on the computer now as my hands and eyes aren't what they used to be. Putting this here in case anyone else is interested in the Gemini XII.

y3a

Sr Member
I plan to sell my 4" Jupiter 2 hull and collected bits to make it work like the Hero, and buy a Gemini 12 with all the extras! All I need is a paypay target.

Highliners

JANUARY 12, 2021 ***IMPORTANT NOTICE***

Okay guys, here's the situation at this moment in time:

YES, I have successfully negotiated with the owners/licensors to purchase the necessary licensing, to legitimately produce a 9-1/2" diameter, exact scale model of the never previously offered anywhere, and digitized directly from the original filmed miniature:

Lost in Space: GEMINI 12

I'm therefore, presenting to you a very special offer:

IN ORDER for this item to become a reality and while simultaneously taking this now crowded market place into account:

--- I must have firm commitments for the purchase of (meaning NO MONEY up front, only true commitments) for 10-15 pre-built "GEMINI 12's", exactly as seen at the end of Relaunching the Gemini 12, Part 1:

thumbnail

Meaning, each of these museum-quality replicas will be personally made by myself as a fully built, painted finished, lighted with a lit, spinning fusion core that's sheathed in sheet nickel-silver:

thumbnail

Notice the SIX actually revolving points of light inside the original design of 32 window apertures, of the nickel-silver metal sheathed "Fusion Core". This cannot be replicated with a simple set of 32 Light Emitting Diodes with a "Chase Light" circuit as that by its very nature, would have to have four or eight points of light and not the correct six. Additionally, that approach badly suffers from a sticky motion of the lights, with their simply going on and off in sequence.

---And, this nickel-silver metal sheathing is the only way to accurately replicate the ultra-thin "Fins" of the Fusion Core. All previous commercial model kit attempts in plastic of the "Jupiter 2's" fins are grossly oversized and not even close to a scale appearance.

As standard, these will have a static radar dish under the top dome. The price each will be $1,500. If you'd like the radar to spin that would be available for an extra charge as it requires an additional motor, mounts and the associated gearing.

----Kindly Note: No more than a maximum total of 30 of these pre-built Gemini 12's will be produced. Each will include an individually numbered and signed (by myself) certificate of authenticity. If this necessary commitment of 10 to 15 replicas
does not happen,
I must seriously question whether there's sufficient interest for the Gemini 12 (or a sufficient market) to pay for and create the required injection mold tooling for a kit of this item tp be manufactured.

Therefore, the molded plastic parts used here in these pre-build "one-offs" will be "Rapid Prototyped", and these extremely limited edition collectible/exact scale models, will be entirely "MADE IN U.S.A."

Observing the current international tensions and my personally having been to China several times in an engineering capacity setting up injection-mold tooling, the financial risks involved in the doing of this subject outside of the U.S. is genuinely daunting.

Please guys, it really is time to step up to the "plate" here and contact me whether you're seriously interested in this model actually becoming a reality, and you obtaining a most exclusive, hand-made copy.

If you'd like to contact me regarding this matter, kindly write to me at the
HighlinersOnline.com website using the "Contact Us" button.

Thank you.

Paul

We're getting "down to the wire" guys!
---- IF YOU ARE AT ALL INTERESTED in this model, you have until Friday evening, January 29, 2021 to let me know!

Please, be sure to NOT miss out, ...or this could be YOU!

Attachments

• The Scream.jpeg
    The Scream.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Highliners

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!:

HIGHLINERS has obtained the license for the manufacture of the original "Lost in Space" ship, the:

"Gemini 12"

These will be made available only as an entirely hand-made and extremely limited edition finished, painted, lighted and operating"Gemini 12" museum quality, exact scale model. These will made directly from the 3D printed (seen below) computer files that were made from the scanned directly from the actual 4 foot diameter original filmed miniature Gemini 12.

You have until February 28th, 2021 to get your order in along with a 1/3rd deposit of $500 for a $1,500 purchase price. After this date, the price rises significantly. This deposit will reserve a duplicate for you of the example shown at the end of "Part I" of "Relaunching the Gemini 12".

With this deposit, you will also receive an exclusive newsletter on a bi-weekly basis updating the status of these exclusive models with behind the scenes manufacturing techniques and methods, showing you just what is involved in doing such an effort. Expected delivery will be summer 2021.

Here are brand new photos of the just received, new 3D printed and as yet unfinished pattern parts from which the production items will be produced:

raw
0217211219.jpg

Last edited:

Highliners

Three Minute.... I mean three day warning people!

You have until Midnight Eastern 9:00 P.M. Pacific Time Sunday, February 28th to get your confirmation (and deposit) in as that is the time the order book closes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.