"Relaunching the Gemini 12" From LOST IN SPACE part 1

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Hello

I just wanted to provide some clarification to my involvement in this on going project...
I always preferred the Gemini 12 miniature to the Jupiter 2. I liked the larger viewports , larger fusion core and no pretense of a lower deck.
The ship is much sleeker than the Jupiter 2.
Six years ago I decided I would find out it's location and offer to do a restoration of the miniature. This lead to some detective work to track down the current owner and whereabouts of the model. I knew it had been bought at auction.
I didn't perform anything so difficult that someone else interested in the miniature could not have accomplished, I am just the guy who just actually got off his butt and wanted to find it.
Through various sources ,I found the name of the man who purchased the miniature at auction. So, through FaceBook, I made contact with the owner, Andre Dohnt. Explained to him want I wanted to do and Andre told me he was glad I called, as he was thinking to get the miniature restored! I we spoke on the phone several times and it looked like it was going to happen.
AWESOME!
I sent him examples of my work and he was pleased and ready to go. However logistics proved a challenge. The Miniature being located in Southern California...MY location East coast, right outside of Philadelphia.
I contacted a fellow modeler, Joel Tavera with the good news! Joel urged me on and was excited for me! We discussed different applications to restore the miniature.
Then Andre sent me a Picture of the then current state of the model...uhoh! There was NO WAY it would traverse across country and remain in one piece. It was THAT bad. Spoke to Joel again several times trying to figure out how to safely get the model to me...
I just didn't want to chance it.
My Ego was bruised as the restoration would have been a major feather in my cap. But, I still wanted to get the job done...somehow???
Paul Lubliner and I had been friends a number of years at this time. He had worked on The Fantasy Worlds Of Irwin Allen. He is by far the worlds first and foremost Seaview expert. When the Moebius model came out, I reached out to him for the proper colors while everyone else followed the same inaccurate mantra of Light Ghost Grey. It's not.
Paul was not a huge Lost in Space fan, but like me, loved all of Irwin Allen's Miniatures and special effects.
I presented him the situation of the restoration. He became somewhat Interested, I acted as a "middleman" between Paul and Andre and after a number of Emails and phone calls The two finally agreed to talk.
Ultimately Paul did the masterful restoration.
After the restoration both Mike and Paul were curious how I achieved certain effects in some homemade special effects with my custom 18" Moebius Jupiter 2. How I lit the model/painted it ETC...
That's the rather boring story of my involvement and how the original Gemini 12 from Lost in Space was restored.
My special thanks to Mike Clark who insisted I contribute my video segments to all the projects. Although I resisted, he said it could't have happened without my involvement...To which I greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

And the actual Restoration

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

y3a

Paul shows us again what a genius at figuring out all the subtle details. The smaller Gemini 12 he showed us made me want one REALLY BAD. Pulling off the shots with about 70% less crew and other stuff related to getting old...is just wonderful. I had tried a Lunar Models 16" vacuuform model with little spools attached to a pop cicle stick to run a single wire to through the model from the front window to the teeny hole in the back of the model. It was very light so the cable control plane wire could be super tight for the run down the wire. Fun afternoon fun with friends as stage hands.