Regionalised "safe" pep helmet finishing material

blennus

Recently I bit the bullet and followed through on my urge to make a Boba Fett helmet... I'm happy enough with it overall (for a first go at a helmet anyway).
The main material used was cardboard packing boxes (we have a number of them around from some furniture and such) and cereal boxes (for the dome). The rear vent I ended up cutting out of some craft cardboard my wife bought for decorations for our 10yo's birthday (freehand Minecraft swords is what she made).

So obviously for most people the next step seems to be applying resin and fiberglass to the inside then Bondoing the outside.

I hate to be difficult but I don't want to use fiberglass as we have four children in total and I don't want any chance of my little hobby causing any issues with their health (or mine I guess).
Similar issue with the resin which I understand is quite hazardous (certainly in regards to fumes).

I don't think I will have an issue with strengthening the inside as the cardboard I've used seems quite sturdy so far, but I'm wondering what the best material is to coat the outside and make it a more "solid" helmet.

I'm open to using papier mache but (as far as I know) all examples of papier mache modeling I've seen have ended up with a rough looking finished product, is this simply that whoever was making it didn't sand it enough to give a nice smooth finish or is it simply not possible with papier mache?

The local hardware store stocks a number of fillers/puttys (including metal/car body style fillers). I'm wondering if the wood fillers are a safer option?

One I am considering is http://www.timbermate.com.au/products/Timbermate+WaterBased+Wood+Filler.aspx

This one http://www.selleys.com.au/putty/epoxy/knead-it-multi-purpose/

https://www.masters.com.au/product/900025773/selleys-no-more-cracks-wood-filler-580g

https://www.masters.com.au/product/100872623/prep-water-based-wood-filler-hardwood-550g

My ideal option would be one that is low/non toxic and reasonably cheap :)

The helmet isn't intended to be worn to Con's or anything, it will mostly be a display piece so durability isn't the most critical... I just want to give it a nice realistic finish.

Also, how much am I likely to need to buy? 500ml, 1l (sorry I'm in Metric Australia).

Thanks everyone for your help... love this forum and it's people!

(I hesitate to say who's pep file it came from, partly because I don't recall... I think Windoffire or something like that... but mostly because I don't want their fine work brought into disrepute from what I did with their files ;)... I actually got the PDF of the files not the original pep file... I believe/if I recall correctly it was a link from the DentedHelmet)
20141215_133245.jpgThere are a few things left to finish/put on... but the overall form is there and I figure I can probably start looking at coating it. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks for moving this... sorry wasn't quite sure where it should go (almost put it in paper props but figured it wasn't really a prop).

For anyone interested I've bought myself some "Agnew's Water Putty Multi-Purpose Filler" The container doesn't mention any warnings about the contents so I'm hoping that means there are no harsh chemicals. It states it is for patching, levelling and filling Plaster, Concrete and Wood. So I'm hopeful it will work.
I might try and put a coat on today... I also bought myself a few grades of Sandpaper and just to be sure a respirator (more for the sanding stage than the applying filler stage.

I will be sure to post pics once I have a layer on... the tub by the way is a 1kg tub and was about $14 or so... not sure how much I will need... hopefully just this one tub but will see how I go (fingers crossed)

From what I can gather I think this filler is either plaster or clay based (or both?) The benefit is once it's on it's reasonably easy to smooth with a finger... I only discovered this upon the second application however and so there are quite a lot of rough areas.
The question now is, firstly can I salvage this helmet at all?
Secondly, do I put another coat on or do I work it hard with sandpaper?

20141217_000633.jpg20141217_014201.jpg20141218_003934.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back