REF PICS OF THE AT-AT

Sure did! Just a damn shame that I can't see the pics.
icon_frown.gif
I have you tried your scratch built part on Rons kit? Does it work or is it to small? I was also planing to pick up the 20mm flackvierling kit for the armor plates but I'm affraid that they will be to small.

P.S, pics worked with a little cutting and pasting.
icon_smile.gif

Steve.

I have Ron's kit as well. I have it built - have to sand a few spots before painting, and still need to build the cannons. Rolando - what did you do to modify the leg?

I've mostly just added detail by using the types of screws that match the studio miniatures and some minor scratch building and detailed kit parts.

Here are some pics showing what I'm trying to match.

graphic4.jpg

graphic5.jpg

Rolando

Now that's an exact examp[le of what I'm talking about look at the pics posted by blackfire 2015, then look at the reference pics on the starship modeler site. Both are of approximately 20ish inches tall AT-ATs but the difference in the detailing is really significant. Just one major change is the angled cut of the legs going into the knee joint. If you examine carefully the heads are slightly different proportions as well. The AT-AT that most of us are used to is the one poste by Blackfire2015, but the other AT-AT is about the same size but very different. Is there anyone out there who has catalogged these bad boys. I have a strong feeling that there are quite a few "correct" studio scale versions that can be made - even if you're sticking with the same scale AT-AT. Thhis mish mash would also explain why some attempts to make this as a kit (SMT) don't look quite right. for example the reference pics I have are of the same model as the starship modeler site. When I blew up the pictures to the correct size and held the SMT parts up to the picture they were a lot closer then I "thought" just looking at it. It also appears that referecen photos from different models (that at a cursory look appear to be the same) may have been used by various peopl eto make "studio" replicas. Uggg this is a big can of worms and I'm NOT acusing anyone of not be accurate...Just wondering outloud..uh on the keyboard
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

I agree, sure makes it tough, when you're trying to scratch build parts for it. What's on one model looks completly different on the other.

Back to the kits, I know the 2cm flackvierling was used on the back (large shields) and the gun barrels was used for both the small lazers barrels plus the tip on top of them but what parts were taken from the M-16 multible gun truck? Where were they used on the walker? If you know this please post.
icon_smile.gif

Steve.

The part that I know that was used from the M-16 multiple gun carriage is the front grill of that model. The model brings two front grills, one open and one closed. The one used is the open one.

The area where it's used on the AT-AT is in the rear above the butt tub and under the shield that hangs down from the top. There's also some more grill work under the M-16 part but I haven't discovered from what kit that's a donor of.

Rolando

Thanks for the info! Will you be using that on your kit or will you stick with Ron's grill?

Also, do you have any idea what was used as the "belly button" on the front drive part? Was that a part of the Harrier or something else added in the middle?

Steve.

I already grounded that area down for the the upgraded part. As for the front of the motor drive, apart from the rounded part that's from the Saturn V I haven't found what the "belly button" part comes from yet. I'm sure I'll have to comprimise some detail parts if I ever want to get the model completed though.

I did however remove the square bottom sections on the bottom of the body on my kit and replaced them with the Saturn V parts though. Still need to finish off the center section and add any details.

Rolando

Well, I'll probably just scratch build that detail. Please post any progress pics you might have.
icon_smile.gif

BTW, how are you tackling the small side lasers? Are you building them from the correct parts or do you just make them as close as you can?

Steve.

How much modifying are you guys planning on doing to the kit? I was just going to build it "as is", but after seeng this I want to do some more work on it.

Since it's my all time favorit model from Star wars I'm doing what ever I can to keep it as close to the original as possible. The kit is VERY nice no question about that but most of the detailing doesn't match with the real ones. Echoleader have inspired my to actually scratch build a complete new "butt tub" from the correct parts. Wasn't cheap, paid $90 for all the needed kits but I think this model is worth it. I also picked up the 2cm Flackvierling kit so I can add the correct back armor plates, and I'll probably scratch build new side lazers from the correct barrels.

Steve.

Great work, Echoleader.

There must be some shared sprues between some models, because as it turns out I used a couple of those butt parts for a custom blaster, and I could swear I took them from a Howitzer model.

Looks like you all have been doing your homework. I have talked with Ronny and will be getting a few kits for my own. looks like the kitparts should fit ok. Ive hightlighted the parts I know for the rear of the ATAT minus the armeture plug (I think I got most of it) and know and have most of the rest like the circle detail on the ankle endcaps and many others for the rest of the ATAT. I have them molded as well!! Anyone interested in these if I make a few extra sets. Also have a list of detail accurizing for the kit as well to bring it to almost studio configuration. Rolando is doing a great job as usual. I think Ronny did a great job! Stay in touch and we can get this thing as close as possible!

21414567.jpg

shot me a email for any questions you may have..
sneisen641@attbi.com

Sorry, no castings.
icon_frown.gif
I don't know Jack S**t about doing resin pulls. But I know a great site where you can find all the needed kits pretty cheap. But it will probably run you about $80 for just the rear details anyway.
icon_frown.gif

SWPROPMAKER, I would love to see that list of yours! Please post it! I really think this kit deserves all the attention we can give it, I'm sure it's totally going to blow people away when finished!
icon_smile.gif

BTW, Could anybody sell me the correct hex screws for all the joints? I have looked everywhere and they are impossible to find here in Sweden.
icon_frown.gif

Steve.

Yes I have molds for all the parts highlighted!! Talked with Ronny and he aproved me to do an accurizing kit for his kit. All the parts that I have are avaiable just show me what parts are needed and we can come up with something.

Steve N

Sweede the screws are called "button head" allen wrench head bolts.. I have the ones your looking for..see

15167512.jpg

Cool, do you have all the correct hardware for the Walker?
If so I would love to buy a complete hardware set from you! Let me know what you have and are willing to sell.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your time!

Steve.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back