Reezer's Iron Man Mark VI foam build- now with completed suit and helmet pics

reezer

Hi All,
I've been reading the forum for a while now and have gone to a few con's in the last couple years. This past April I decided I would make costume's for myself, my 2 son's and my nephew to go to Toronto Comic Con.
7130164255_a1dd43b987.jpg
[/url]
WWCC-2012-9057 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]
6984076568_4c287e2d0b.jpg
[/url]
WWCC-2012-10624 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]
6984075474_ef753b2f1c.jpg
[/url]
WWCC-2012-10616 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]
6984074560_bb4344425c.jpg
[/url]
WWCC-2012-10604 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]

It was so fun that I have decided to up the ante and go for an Iron man build. I have read a lot of great threads here and have been inspired.
So here it goes

This is what I have so far
7130103933_c0dd6e7f38.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1237 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]
Pepped and fiberglassed helmet. Next up is the bondo stage. It's pretty rough now but I'm hoping I can get it looking good enough to mold and cast it at some point.

6984007566_c405d717e9.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1232 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]
7130096695_f093265d1f.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1234 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]
6984009752_d2ba29e8b2.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1233 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]
6984017996_479150c915.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1236 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]

And A Foam helmet just for fun for the kids to play with.
7130099175_c63fc4bd0a.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1235 by Reezer76, on Flickr[/IMG]

It seems to be going well so far. I've been working on it for about a week and a half. I plan to plastidip the foam and then use my spraygun to give it a coat of paint. I get my paint from a local auto paint shop and I'm going to ask them to put some flex additive in it that they use on flexible body panels. Also, a tip for those of you buying duplicolor paint from local auto parts stores. Most auto paint places can mix up whatever colour you want and they will put it into "krylon" size spray cans for you. I find it's a lot cheaper than buying the little cans from auto part stores.

Last edited:
Re: Reezer's Iron Man Mark VI foam build

great start dude! are you having any trouble doing the 90 and 45 degree cuts? this is the one thing that is troubling me before I start.

great start dude! are you having any trouble doing the 90 and 45 degree cuts? this is the one thing that is troubling me before I start.

At first I was cutting all the pieces at 90 and then trimming them to 45 with scissors. As I've gone along I find it is a lot cleaner if you take the time to look carefully at the pep model and figure out which cuts need to be 45. Then I just hold the hobby knife at about a 45 when I do those cuts. I find it gets better results than the scissors. You'll kind of learn as you go. Just like I am.

I'm doing my own at the moment and have settled for using my dremel sanding bit for the angles, seems to work okay :)

I got these at my local autopaint supplier. The primer has high flexible properties and the adhesion promoter is way cheaper than the duplicolor stuff. Both cans were $10 each. Primer is 15oz, adhesion in 500g or about 16 oz.
IMG_1546.jpg

Some progress pics. Coated These parts in plasti dip, adhesion promoter, primer. This took 3 cans of plasti dip and it's crazy expensive in Canada. As in 3x expensive, $22/can after tax. So I'm going to make a trip over the border to get some to finish it. Also, I have got pretty far on the helmet. The thing I learned is that next helmet, make the pep as good as possible and try to prevent any warping when doing the resin coating. i had to do a lot of reshaping and I'm still not very happy with how it's turning out.
IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

Last edited:

Armor after paint
IMG_1668.jpg

After weathering
IMG_1678.jpg

My sister wanted to try it on.
IMG_1675.jpg

Base coat on helmet
IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

After clear coat. It's not perfect but I thought it came out pretty good. It's the first pep and helmet I've ever done.
IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

That helmet is more than "pretty good"!
I don't wanna do anythig illegal or nothin. But I would kill a man... In front of they own mama to get me a helmet that nice!!
Great job on the rest of the suit as well!!

I have to say as well, that helmet is a stunner! its builds like these that keep pushing my build! can i ask what the colours was that you used?

I used the standard dark red metallic and sunburst gold but I brought the paint codes to an auto paint supplier and they mixed it for me. I bought a pint of red and half pint of gold and a quart of clear. I shot the paint with a cheap hvlp gun. I still have almost half the paint left and it probably cost me half as much as buying the duplicolor cans.

Full suit, more pics to come. I'm going to my son's soccer BBQ as a special guest.
IMG_1690.jpg

Helmet after weathering and home built lights
IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

Can't believe I just realized I painted the bicep red instead of gold. Guess I'll have to fix that before Fan Expo.

So this was my first time out with the suit and I have to say it held up pretty good even in the heat and sun. The only thing I'm going to have to do is adjust the helmet foam so it stays a little snugger on my head. With only little slits to see out of, any helmet movement totally screws up your field of vision.

With my son, at his soccer BBQ
IMG_1116.jpg

With a friend of mine from the 501st
IMG_1113.jpg

Hello good sir! I have a question about how you used your Plastidip.
Did you use black Plastidip?
So your process was--Plastidip, adhesion promotor and then primer?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back