Reeve Superman I, II, III or IV Cape Inquiry

collecktor

I am doing some research on the capes from Reeve's Superman films. If anyone has an authentic cape from any of his movies, and would like to help me out with some information, I would greatly appreciate a reply. Thank you.

Steve

I don’t own one, but I’ve examined a Reeve cape first hand and I took patterns and measurements from it. What would you like to know?

Thank you for your reply. I have a device that was reportedly worn under the flying capes, to make it appear as though Superman was flying. It is not the "flapping device," instead, it is a static device with rods that extended the length of the cape. It has four snaps in a row on it. I've seen some flying capes that also have four snaps in a row (not on shoulders where the cape attached but on the upper back). Have you seen any capes with four snaps in a row? If so, do you happen to have measurements? Thank you again for your reply and happy new year!

I recently purchased myself a piece of dark red fabric for my own cape. I am just wondering if anyone has an idea of what the overall shape of the Reeves or MOS cape looks like laid flat on a table and especially the neck line and pleating and overall angle of the edges. All I can find are little kids tutorials and Im a big kid...

Im afraid to cut my cape because I dont know if Im gonna do the neck shape correct. It wouldn't be so bad but I want to sew the pleats into the shoulder/neckline and still have it be the correct shape when Im done. But if I do it wrong I might mess up the pleats...

I realize this does not help, but I just found this cool pic of Christopher Reeve signing autographs during filming of the Niagara Falls scene in Superman II.

Christopher Reeve.jpg

If I am 5 foot 9 inches tall. And I want to make a MOS style cape but with a few minor changes. For length, I only want the cape to come down to 1-2 inches off the ground or right at ground level. And for the neck line and pleats I want it to look like the MOS style but actually tucked in more like the 78 Reeves suit does and not a snap buckle or velcro or whatever they use.
This leads me to the biggest question I still have. How much fabric do I really need. I want it to be a full cape and not like a Rubies costume cape where its like attaching a bath towel to your neck. By my calculations I will need a piece of fabric 144 inches long by about 58 wide. The 144 to me seems like a LOT of extra fabric but if I want it to fold over the shoulders and have real sewn in pleats it needs to be that long.
I think thats about 7-8 yards isnt it?

Im afraid to cut my cape because I dont know if Im gonna do the neck shape correct. It wouldn't be so bad but I want to sew the pleats into the shoulder/neckline and still have it be the correct shape when Im done. But if I do it wrong I might mess up the pleats...
There are a few really good tutorials and patterns out there for making an accurate cape with the same pleat and "over the shoulder and around the back" strap system. I made one for a friend years ago from a free tutorial. I think it was a constructibles tutorial.

There are a few really good tutorials and patterns out there for making an accurate cape with the same pleat and "over the shoulder and around the back" strap system. I made one for a friend years ago from a free tutorial. I think it was a constructibles tutorial.

Edit: Found it

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back