Reeve Cape Pattern

Superman5

Hey guys, im starting a Reeve suit soon and I could really use the cape pattern that has all the folds, dimensions etc. I can just scale it to my size. Thanks.

I dont have a pattern for the cape itself, but I did do quite a bit of research on the costume when I made my Superman suit about 10 years ago. The most interesting thing I found out about the cape was how it attached to his body.
In photos, you can see that it seems to tuck into the blue neckline... At the end of one side there was a long strap attached right to the cornner of the cape which run down his chest, under his arm, around his back and then came out from under the other arm, over the chest and connected to the other top corner of the cape.

This put all the stress of the cape hanging on his body rather than right on the body suit since they didnt attach in any way at all. I found a great photo of a rack of capes hanging and you can clearly see how it was done. (although I'm not certain I can find a copy of the photo anymore, but I'll have a look around.)

It seems that more recently I've seen another photo of them putting his suit on and the strap was attached to each corner of the cape and connected in the back not unlike a bra strap. I also found the cape was wool, perhaps much like the new cape, except the new one is layered with latex...

Not sure that its much help, since I cant provide a pattern, but hopefully it will help.

<div class='quotetop'>(AlpineDarth Maul @ Jul 6 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]1274945[/snapback]</div>
I dont have a pattern for the cape itself, but I did do quite a bit of research on the costume when I made my Superman suit about 10 years ago. The most interesting thing I found out about the cape was how it attached to his body.
In photos, you can see that it seems to tuck into the blue neckline... At the end of one side there was a long strap attached right to the cornner of the cape which run down his chest, under his arm, around his back and then came out from under the other arm, over the chest and connected to the other top corner of the cape.

This put all the stress of the cape hanging on his body rather than right on the body suit since they didnt attach in any way at all. I found a great photo of a rack of capes hanging and you can clearly see how it was done. (although I'm not certain I can find a copy of the photo anymore, but I'll have a look around.)

It seems that more recently I've seen another photo of them putting his suit on and the strap was attached to each corner of the cape and connected in the back not unlike a bra strap. I also found the cape was wool, perhaps much like the new cape, except the new one is layered with latex...

Not sure that its much help, since I cant provide a pattern, but hopefully it will help.
[/b]

Wow, they did a great job of making the strap invisible under the skin tight suit.

<div class='quotetop'>(MattMunson @ Jul 6 2006, 04:11 AM) [snapback]1275039[/snapback]</div>

Matt strikes again.

That link gets it exactly right.

I own a Reeve original cape, and this tutorial not only shows all of the proper design elements, including the added cotton batting to fill out the back, but even improves on the design with the addition of the plastic buckle.

Search no further.

Steve

Thanks for the vote, steve. I figure, in between upsetting the mods, showing off, and acting like a dork, I have to have at least ONE valuable post every now and again to set the scales right :)

If you dig around on that forum, there's also some great stuff on how to make the "S" on the shirt, and some good boots. Dunno how accurate the stuff is, but if you're looking for something to wear, it will probably help. or at least give you a good starting point.

Now you've gone and done it.. Posting that link... Lilke a fly to the spider, a moth to the flame... Can't stop myself from looking. hehehe.. What a great site.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back