Redbuttons built projects!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by redbutton, Jul 17, 2015.

1. redbutton

redbutton Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

After the smooth beginning of doing a custom saber - I've embarked on a ESB saber.
    I got a 2 cell from the UK complete with a RED BUTTON and glass eye. I also came with these nifty rubber/circuit covers over the contact pins.
    Next came a replica 3 cell of which I'm using the bottom. I also picked up a more accurate red button to which I added a spring to back it up (Tom's idea).
    Someone started an ESB saber as you'll notice holes are drill for the grips and a kobold/D ring. I managed to pick up a Otis Elevator circuit board for the clamp card.
    Cutting the clamp card is tricky but a lot of fun! I just got some grips and the Kobold/D ring from Roy. I started to cut the lenght down.
    Thanks for looking! Steve
    DSCN3204.jpg DSCN3221.JPG DSCN3220.jpg DSCN3218-1.jpg DSCN3217.JPG DSCN3215.JPG DSCN3211.JPG DSCN3210.JPG DSCN3209.JPG DSCN3223.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    mugatu, phunkymunky, Sym-Cha and 2 others like this.
  2. mortifactor

mortifactor Well-Known Member

Re: Starting an ESB saber!

That clamp card looks great, how did you go about finding it?

[​IMG]

I've noticed Roy's and slothfurnace's are squared edge, but in this image it looks rounded like yours.

What does the spring behind the button do?

Sym-Cha likes this.
  3. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

The very first batches that Slothfurnace made were also more round . . . it's very hard to determine without a doubt just from the few available 'close-up' pictures what was used by the propmakers ... some show squared edges others such as above make them appear more round ... so for me ... if you use a vintage board with gold and silver fingers, such as that Otis board, for your ESB lightsaber ... you're good to go ... on set :)

Chaim

russellsch and Scott D like this.
  4. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Hey, nice Graflex.
    When you found a board which has the 13 goldfingers you can be happy as Chaim said. They are hard to find and nowadays the goldfingers are smaller than in the old days.
    The spring under the red button is the best solution to hold the red part from these replica buttons in place. I myself use the spring from inside the glass eye which is very tough.

Have fun with your build.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  5. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How did you go about cutting your Otis board? What tools did you use?

6. redbutton

Tom and I just keep a eye out on ebay searching for otis elevator circuit boards. The button replaced the the glass eye on this ESB saber the spring is from a Leika (not sure I'm spelling to right) flash. The spring supports the button - you can actually push it down and it pops back up like the top one.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I did think about the spring from the glass eye. I think it's cool that you did - it looks like a tough thing to do! Nice.

7. redbutton

Well. I use the little X-Acto razor saw set with that little bitty miter box. Worked really good for cutting the grips down too. Still have to notch them out.
    I did see someone used the same miter/saw in another thread. Hope this helps.

mugatu likes this.
  8. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Good to see this still draws attention. Ten / twelve years ago Graflexes and Mausers were all we talked about around here.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Sym-Cha and James Kenobi 1138 like this.
  9. redbutton

Hi, Just working with adding the grips and drilling out the holes for the screws. It's very hard actually but lots'o fun!!!
    DSCN2189.JPG

thd9791 likes this.
  10. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Great looking build :thumbsup I had no idea the origin of the circuit board. I've learned so much from the RPF.

I very much would like to build a Luke ANH lightsaber. Questions; Is the difference between the 2 cell & 3 cell GRAFLEX just the length of the battery compartment? Is the diameter the same?

11. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

redbutton how did i miss this thread!? looks great buddy, great choice of parts!

12. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed a 2 cell batteryholder is much shorter than a 3 cell . . . the diameter is the same though . . . if you're very talented and crafty you could extend a 2 cell by cutting it in half and adding a new center piece, which will need to be chromed or chrome painted afterwards, inbetween about 6 cm in length and of course the exact diameter and weld them together or perhaps JB Weld whichever your skills allow . . . it's still a quick and dirty solution to keep a G R A F L E X text on the bottom, though it will say 2 Cell, and maintain the functional parts to put it back together on the clamp . . . since loose 3 Cell bottoms are quite rare to find these days, though on occassion I see them pass on ebay.

Chaim

redbutton likes this.
  13. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Awesome. Thank you!

Sym-Cha likes this.
  14. redbutton

Thanks! I started to drill pilot screw holes in the grips/base and a grip popped off. So what I did was get some warm water and run my finger across
    the epoxy wait a minute or two and THEN scrape off the old epxoy with a butter knife. Worked like a charm. Came off very clean! Next I used a paper
    towel and some rubbing alcohol to clean the tube. I re-applied the expoxy and grip. Still drying. However, I did start pilot hole in the grips with
    a rubber mallet and a roofing nail. This should help when I drill pilot holes thru the Graflex base. Hopefully I'll drill out the hole and get those screws in
    soon!

15. redbutton

DSCN2257.JPG DSCN2269.JPG DSCN2272.JPG DSCN2273.JPG DSCN2279.JPG DSCN2280.JPG
    I finally completed ESB saber with two real red buttons an otis elevator card, some metal tape. The D ring was lots of fun with the rivets and all. I got a rivet gun at an estate sale for 5 bucks - a sweet savings there - and they turned out really cool with the clip. I have some little rubber covers for the prongs, you will see these as little black circles over the well, prongs. They come off easily. Cutting grips was fun too - a dremel for that. all and all a great little project. Now it's on to a ANH saber!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  16. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You finished it! It looks great. This saber was my first saber build, and I'm about to revisit it soon. Great job!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  17. Halliwax

looks real good! love to 2 red buttons, redbutton!

Sym-Cha likes this.
  18. redbutton

Hi, I started a GK blaster after I finished ANH saber(pictures to come) And it's going well. I got a bracket set from @SoloHold and a resin cast of a compac scope from @Admata.
    I cut down and ground out the Derlin adapter to fit the Flash Hider. Next I got some weaver 1" brackets on gunbroker.com - well another set of rings on ebay the first set was missing a screw. I'll add more pictures later.
    DSCN2289.JPG DSCN2290.JPG DSCN2291.JPG DSCN2292.JPG DSCN2293.JPG DSCN2295.JPG DSCN2296.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    SolosHold likes this.
  19. Halliwax

your son really got you hooked didn't he!! i love seeing stuff like this, father son team, good going guys!

SolosHold likes this.
  20. redbutton

Hooked, yeah baby!

- - - Updated - - -

Hooked, yeah baby!

21. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

lol yes I did. The GK grease gun adapter was a hoot. Since the barrel can be seen, sticking the peg in the barrel wasn't going to work (I think that's what that end was for?) nor was sliding the socket over the end of the barrel. my dad cut off the peg and hollowed out the spacer, getting it to slide further on. Trouble is, the barrel thickens here, so it's cracked but still functions as a spacer. how did other's use theirs?

22. redbutton

Well I finished my 'A New Hope' saber.I have some pictures here for you. It's a real graflex with Roman bubbles and Roy's grips and D ring set up. Once agan the rivet gun was a fun thing to do. I had to squeeze it down twice and when it pops you think you broke something. It's all good! Came out fine.
    DSCN2307.JPG DSCN2309.JPG DSCN2312.JPG DSCN2314.JPG DSCN2316.JPG DSCN2318.JPG

teecrooz and Sym-Cha like this.
  23. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed when I popped my rivet those were my exact thoughts ... looks superb ... well done Tom's dad :)

Chaim

24. thd9791

Looks stellar!

25. redbutton

Howdy, I've busy with building a Greedo Killer blaster. I have a question as to where the brass screw goes on the heat sink? First and second fins at the top or second and third
    fins? I've sanding and wet sanding the body of the blaster as well as paint the brackets. Here are a few pictures of the process. Hope you enjoy them.
    GreedoKiller6.jpg GreedoKiller5.jpg GreedoKiller3.jpg GreedoKiller2.jpg GreedoKiller1.jpg

26. redbutton

Howdy again, I also have a work in progress with ESB Vader saber. Here's some photos of the saber, Enjoy! ESBDarthVader6.jpg ESBDarthVader5.jpg ESBDarthVader4.jpg ESBDarthVader3.jpg ESBDarthVader2.jpg ESBDarthVader1.jpg

mugatu and Sym-Cha like this.
  27. thd9791

That paint finish looks great!

As for the screw, here is some reference.
    GK_real_closeup.jpg ANH_GK_real_right.jpg

28. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Wow ... Roy's shroud I presume? . . . Looking a bit closer I noticed the clamp and thus the shroud are both 180º turned on your Heiland.
    The 6 electric outlets with wires and the clamp should be on the visible side, which means the bulb release button is on the wrong side :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Disregard the black screws in the T-tracks ... those were added lateron as far as I know :)

Chaim

29. redbutton

Chiam, I did it this way so I didn't have to alter the flash too much. Yeah it's Roy's shroud. Will add wires when I find them. A work in progess!
    S.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  30. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Roy offers wires too! I used them in mine, the worked perfectly. I like your build, I'm jealous of the round holes on your Heiland. Mine are square, but I also got it for 15 bucks since it wasn't correct and it was beat to hell. Figured for 15 bucks, cleaning it up wouldn't be a problem!

redbutton likes this.
  31. redbutton

Hi, Well I finished the GK Blaster! After stripping and repainting the gun itself. While drying - I went to check it's progress and I dropped it from a hook hanging in my basement
    ceiling! Imagine the horror...but it fell into a bucket that I put dryer lint in. I scoped up the blaster which was now covered in red lint and started pulling off the lint. Yeah you
    guessed it - more sanding and painting! I've sealed the blaster with a coat of Johnson's Wax and then Briwax. Thanks to all those great people for all there help with parts!
    And Tom too!! GKBlaster.JPG GKBlaster1.JPG GKBlaster2.JPG GKBlaster3.JPG GKBlaster4.JPG

cjchiu and mugatu like this.
  32. redbutton

Hi, I've also working on a ESB Blaster. Attached are some pictures of a kinda pre-fit. I still have to secure the bracket and weather and seal with wax, cut off the ring on the handle. The scope is a real M32 and the gun is a denix base with the model car pistons and distributor rings as well as a motor coil (Thanks Tom). A shout out to BobaDebt for the flash hider and bracket. Nice work!! Hope you all enjoy it.
    S. EsbBlaster5.JPG EsbBlaster4.JPG EsbBlaster2.JPG EsbBlaster3.JPG EsbBlaster.JPG ESBBlaster1.JPG

cjchiu likes this.
  33. Halliwax

blasters too!? good for you! it came out great!!!