Red Jammer Y-WING build by dtssyst

WHAT HAPPENED !!!

As you can see in the image, I have started over. Almost all parts are removed. This was because the parts just popped off so easily. The super glue just did not hold the parts very well to the ABS fuselage.
I started to prime it, sand it and so on to get the fuselage ready for the nurnies to be re installed.

Then I thought I might as well.
So… I started to correct the length of the fuselage to be closer to what it should be according to the nurnies that go on the ship. I mentioned this error/correction in post 15 above.

If I am going to build this awesome ship I might as well do it right.

0324191929a_HDR.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of rework, but sometimes when we build these, course corrections always make it better down the road. I'm sure this will get those little things you wanted corrected, and in the end, it's going to be an awesome build up it looks like! Keep the updates coming!
-Sean

WHAT HAPPENED !!!

As you can see in the image, I have started over. Almost all parts are removed. This was because the parts just popped off so easily. The super glue just did not hold the parts very well to the ABS fuselage.
I started to prime it, sand it and so on to get the fuselage ready for the nurnies to be re installed.

Then I thought I might as well.
So… I started to correct the length of the fuselage to be closer to what it should be according to the nurnies that go on the ship. I mentioned this error/correction in post 15 above.

If I am going to build this awesome ship I might as well do it right.

View attachment 1003295

An unfortunate event for sure but sounds like you're making the most of it. I've had little time to start placing nurnies on my Y-Wing. I'm taking this as an opportunity to update my armature as well. If you don't mind, I'll DM you a summary of the changes I *think* you're making. Once confirmed, I'll update the 3D files and make them available for anyone interested. Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress!

04/01/19 10:26 pm USA Eastern Time:
Y-wing was shot down by the Empire.

Starting from the beginning because the fuselage proportions are off. Corrections are coming from fellow builder CheesyGrin.

Hopefully CheesyGrin will have the corrected files finished soon (he is fast and he is good). Then I can start the time consuming process of reprinting the corrected 3D fuselage files. Once they are finished printing, I can glue the nurnies from Studio Kitbash back on to the fuselage and get back on track with this build.

The incorrect size of the 3D fuselage files were only noticed once the very accurately cast nurnies from Studio Kitbash were installed (or attempted to be installed). The three of us all agreed to the fuselage size adjustments going by the cast kit parts that make up this wonderful ship.

Please stay tuned and know that it may be a little while before another y-wing update.

UPDATE 04/02/19 8:45 am USA Eastern Time:
CheesyGrin already delivered the updated files. Printing the updated 3D files will commence!

UPDATE: 04/09/19:
Files are available. Please go to page 3 (first post) of this thread for the links.

Last edited:
Printing of the updated files continues.
For now, I will provide this image. It helps me to know the part name with an image of the part.
Parts.jpg

Last edited:
04/01/19 10:26 pm USA Eastern Time:
Y-wing was shot down by the Empire.

Starting from the beginning because the fuselage proportions are off. Corrections are coming from fellow builder CheesyGrin.

Hopefully CheesyGrin will have the corrected files finished soon (he is fast and he is good). Then I can start the time consuming process of reprinting the corrected 3D fuselage files. Once they are finished printing, I can glue the nurnies from Studio Kitbash back on to the fuselage and get back on track with this build.

The incorrect size of the 3D fuselage files were only noticed once the very accurately cast nurnies from Studio Kitbash were installed (or attempted to be installed). The three of us all agreed to the fuselage size adjustments going by the cast kit parts that make up this wonderful ship.

Please stay tuned and know that it may be a little while before another y-wing update.

UPDATE 04/02/19 8:45 am USA Eastern Time:
CheesyGrin already delivered the updated files. Printing the updated 3D files will commence!

Was the Main Fuselage Fore Section resized too? It's not quite correct to properly fit the parts.

Edit. Here's an example.

This part was incorrectly ID as the Airfix 1/600 Hood when in fact its from the Graf Spee and there is a noticeable size difference. The only thing needing trimming from the Spee is the nobby parts on the end.

20190407_084248.jpg
20190407_085517.jpg

Last edited:
Is it necessary to reprint all the original bodies? Judging by the diagrams the only bodies that need extending are the main fuselage mid port and starboard sections. Clearly the armature and the T piece need to be longer and wider. Is that the lot? I printed all the parts at Shapeways a while back, so don’t want to redo everything if it isn’t necessary.

Is it necessary to reprint all the original bodies? Judging by the diagrams the only bodies that need extending are the main fuselage mid port and starboard sections. Clearly the armature and the T piece need to be longer and wider. Is that the lot? I printed all the parts at Shapeways a while back, so don’t want to redo everything if it isn’t necessary.

None of it is really necessary depending on what you're after personally. Kokkari built his without modifying the base and his looks awesome, I went the other route and changed things to make the parts fit and they both turned out looking like SS Y's.

Cheers!

Reprint the files:
It is your build and you build it the way you choose. No one is saying who is right and who is wrong or who's files are right or wrong.
I agree with Hammer3246 "None of it is really necessary depending on what you're after personally."

Why:
Discrepancies were found when trying to install the nurnies on my build. I had a very difficult time and got very frustrated.
So, I reached out. CheesyGrin, Studio Kitbash and I agreed the files needed updated. The three of us agreed to the new size specifications. CheesyGrin then updated the files. We are not saying we are right. We are saying that what we agreed upon and are doing is right for us.

What we changed:
The overall length (Mid Starboard Sections) were increased in length by 5mm.
The height of ALL the main fuselage section parts were adjusted by adding 5mm.
The width on the Neck Upper Section had 3 mm added to the top surface (in front of the droid socket). None of the other parts were touched.

The Graf Spee part(s):
I did remove the notch and about 1 mm for the part(s) to fit correctly. It looked correct when I had these parts installed.

Perfection:
No one will ever get this build perfect (my opinion).

Lastly:
Do the best you can.
Expect to make mistakes along the way.
Be honest, ask, listen and learn.
I have done just this and made some great friends in this very forum.

Progress has been made. May not be perfectly accurate but I am trying to do the best that I can.

Wondering how to trim the parts, I remembered that I have the Proxxon saw. It worked perfectly.

The larger of the two leggs eggs halves were measured and then trimmed from the open end. I took off about 20mm. That does include the little edge that helps connect both egg halves together. Note: that makes the egg approximately 1 5/8” from the tip of the leggs egg to where it glues to the saturn rocket.

The other half of the leggs eggs had the locking edge cut off. I then trimmed off the top so that I had the rear (tail shroud) parts. The final measurement is approx. 22 mm. It is my understanding that I should use two front leggs eggs for this. I may try to get another two pair. Otherwise, these will have to do.

The 1/144 Apollo Saturn V rockets were trimmed as well today. I trimmed off the locking ring and left 1 mm. This assist in support to glue the leggs egg in place and more glue surface area.
The rear of the rocket had about 42 mm trimmed off.

I had to add about 5 mm to the leading edge of each Plexiglass wing (received from DaveG). The reason is that the kit parts that go on the wings would not fit. Cut some wood on my Proxxon saw to size and then two part epoxy used to glue them in place. Used clamps to hold in place and to aid in alignment until the glue dried.

Found a piece of wood in my closet of goodies for a make shift base. Also found a dowel rod that is the perfect size.

Wire was run to each engine for lighting and also a wire to the forward fuselage so I can light the cockpit.
A 9v battery will supply power from the rear of the ship. It will be hidden in an accessible compartment.

View attachment 983388

View attachment 983389

I asked in a different thread about the cuts on the Leggs eggs. Didn't get an answer there, but you have a treasure trove of info. Thanks man just what needed. Looking really good, Cheers,

Joe

Reprint the files:
snip-
The Graf Spee part(s):
I did remove the notch and about 1 mm for the part(s) to fit correctly. It looked correct when I had these parts installed.

snip-

The Graff doesn't have a notch the Nelson does, I know its not a huge difference but every little bit makes an impact.

Here they are against Gold Leader.
20190407_171344.jpg

Hi Vectorzero!

I chose to reprint the parts since I had not yet glued the original armature parts. It was an easy removal and replacement. Dtssyst summarized the changes well. I'm going to post a before/after pic so folks can see the differences. The new parts are beefier overall and simply provide more surface area for the kitbash nurnies. I also updated the revised set to print more quickly (and without supports) on an FDM printer. This weekend, I reprinted 4 of 7 revised parts in less than 24hrs of print time. Dtssyst has posted all the revisions on his Dropbox, I believe.

If anyone has any questions on the new parts, let me know.

I asked in a different thread about the cuts on the Leggs eggs. Didn't get an answer there, but you have a treasure trove of info. Thanks man just what needed. Looking really good, Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

Sorry if you never got an answer on the L'eggs Eggs cut-back question: the answer is both easier and trickier than you think:

Cut off 1.2cm from the bottom of the top "dome-shaped" Egg half (not the bottom "sphere-shaped" egg half), but then measure the OD across the counterpoint: What you are "really" after is an Outer Dimensional measurement of 69.5mm in order to achieve both a "perfect fit" on the Saturn V that also/simultaneously does not allow the Egg/Nacelle Cover to "overhang" the ridges of the Saturn V, but sits just "inside" it perfectly. Depending on which year production of Saturn V you're using (original 1976 version, or post-1994 version), you may get some variance, so you actually want about ten eggs to play with, of which a few will get "burned" in the process. What I do with my burned duds is then recycle them to make either a.) rear vectral shrouds or else b.) chop them up for all the little plate-on pieces that go all around the nacelle cover at the four points where the tie-down nurnies get attached.

Hope this helps!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back