Red Green show, Harolds instrument

Kovnyn

Sr Member
Alright RPF, I'm stepping out of Star Wars costumes and props for something a bit more obscure.

I'm looking to recreate Harold's musical instrument thing from the Red Green show.

20191113_142202.jpg

I'd like to get it as close as possible to screen accurate. Any ideas of what components are used?

Kovnyn

Sr Member
Id say I see a C64 right there at the bottom.
The keyboard? I'll look into that, thanks.

did some searching on Google and it looks like the long panel is from an Ampex VR1200 Video Recorder.
Source:ID this Keyboard [Archive] - Vintage Computer Forum

Thanks so much!

I knew I could count on the RPF.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, the hunt begins. The commodore 64 keyboard is easy enough to acquire, but that Ampex Vr1200 is another story.

The C64 has a case around it, I can't quite make out the tag but it looks to say MN Tec, or perhaps MINI Tec. And it doesn't look like an original casing for a C64 keyboard.

Last edited:

TazMan2000

Master Member
jhk1982 posted a link to a webpage. At the end of it, it refers to this:
4hxh2Sc.jpg

The keyboard isn't exact, but its from the series. It might be quite expensive. Some people collect vintage computers.

TazMan2000

jackdoud

Sr Member
I looked into this a couple years ago and didn't get any further than the part numbers for the keyboard and video recorder listed above.
The Video Recorder is fairly rare at this point and if you do find them they're usually expensive. You're probably better off just scratchbuilding one. I found some decent close ups in my research.

Attachments

• Patrick.jpg
    Patrick.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 493
  • img_5589.jpg
    img_5589.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 175
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 171
  • index2.jpg
    index2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 183
  • MM1000_B4.jpg
    MM1000_B4.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 183052280_7fcdca1e9c_b.jpg
    183052280_7fcdca1e9c_b.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 203

beach5

Alright RPF, I'm stepping out of Star Wars costumes and props for something a bit more obscure.

I'm looking to recreate Harold's musical instrument thing from the Red Green show.

View attachment 1083567

I'd like to get it as close as possible to screen accurate. Any ideas of what components are used?
It’s the control panel from an Ampex VR 1200 Videotape Recorder. Google it. It also has attached a keyboard and a set of rabbit ears antenna.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.