Red dwarf 'bigiature' panel

Tobot

Ok so I'm going to attempt the 'bigiature' flyby pane from the recent red dwarf x

At the moment I'm at the research stage and I'm trying to identify some of the kit parts used in its construction.

I know that 4 x 1/200 revell north cormorant kits were used and I'm sourcing one at the moment so I can see how much of the panel comes from these.

I also know that some parts were from the creators own store of castings, these will be hard/ impossible to identify I know :)

However I throw myself at the mercy of the geniuses here to possibly help me to identify some more of the parts. In particular to begin wth I'd like to try and find out what the 2 green parts are at the top of this first picture.
fb5fd487e9d00bd3a6b4c13ac92ea909.jpg

Here are some more reference pictures I have found

71e97ac322d462189ce1d0344870cf9e.jpg

edeb1d624ad1188f2d40bb356e6fe1f2.jpg

dfa67bd89ad3438daacae27ad64ef0ed.jpg

Just after a quick view :

Hasegawa leopold and morser Karl
Tamiya gepard, M5a1
Airfix saturn V
Mpc DV's TIE fighter
Revell Mig 21
Revell/Monogram B29

Thanks so much guys, it never ceases to amaze me how you are able to identify tiny parts just from a 'quick look'

Obviously the name panel is quite important, in the last picture I can see what look like empty sprues being used any idea what kit they are from?

Hmmm, I don't think they are empty sprues, they look more like very evenly placed telegraph/power poles. Maybe from the Bandai Fieldwork accessories sets?.

I'm trying to track down a scan of that kit as we speak. The name panel is obviously the most important part , I could allow a little slide or scratch building in some other areas possibly if I can't identify parts.
The north cormorant kits are flipping expensive ! :)

*Edit* just had a look and I'm fairly sure it's not the bandai or italeri telegraph poles.

Last edited:
Found the part!. Not from the Field Work kits but from the North Cormorant!.
I found 32 pages of PDF instructions for this kit just now on the net. Just type in Revell North Cormorant & you will find the PDF file. It shows all the kit parts in great detail. I would say looking quickly at this kit, you will find a ton of parts for this prop mate!.

If you can't find it PM me with your email & I'll send it to you.
Stu

Thank you so much , I've been searching for a manual for that kit but didnt have a lot of luck.
From my research it seems like the lions share of this prop comes from the north cormorant as multiple kits were used

Also I'm still curious as to what the large green parts are in the first picture

Last edited:
I have popped him a pm , no word yet but fingers crossed ;-) I would totally understand if he didnt want to give away too much

Just ordered my first north cormorant kit

These are the bits I'm really interested in now highlighted in green
25b503f763ede23447211033f85b4766.jpg

I know the two on the top left are part scratch built , but if you look at the unpainted photos they have a very large model piece as the main body

Last edited:
Watching this thread with interest. A little while ago I started collecting old model kits to do my own take on this but I never got very far. Maybe this will inspire me to finish my own one.

Were you going for an accurate one or were you going to interpret it yourself?
I'm starting out with the hopes of being accurate but I ink there may be some slippage if I can't identify some of the parts.
Having a bugger of a time contacting the guys who made it by email though , every email adress I can find just bounces back,hope vos gets my pm on here

I'm going for my own interpretation. The North Cormorant kits (at least the one's I found) were outside of my budget. I'm using what bits I have around the house and just aiming for the general look of the Small Rouge One.

Thing is, now more of the original kits have been identified I'm now tempted to say hell to the cost and do a proper replica. This hobby is dangerous to the wallet. ;)

Yeah the north cormorants are going to be quite pricey. I've only found one in the uk so far

Some of the bits you can see in the unpainted version are casts that the builders had from previous models, so those bits are going to be particularily devious especially with a lack of reference shots.

Revell uk and de are out of the north cormorant kits even spare parts , so it looks like fleabay for the other three, unless someone knows of the whereabouts of some more

I will also be following this with great interest! Always wanted to build a section of the Red Dwarf and when they built that piece for the new show it was very tempting :) Seems like a great way to use up a bunch of spares/leftovers. If you end up casting anything please let me know, I'll be interested in helping/buying casts.

I won't be casting as this is a 'just to see if i can do it' project ;-) that and I don't know how to cast , also I'm not massively comfortable with copying and selling such a recent piece made by a member on here

Will be sharing the build for all to see on here though, ill definately be starting with the name panel as soon as I have all my sizes worked out, ill be making that screen accurate . After that ill take individual panels and see how close I can get with accuracy

Last edited:
Could some of you kit bashing guys point me in the direction of some good resources for looking at kits so I can have a crack at identifying parts myself?

Also here's another picture of the name panel.

bc9ed7442a8d43180fbf15d74b89add1.jpg

I can see the north cormorant parts and the b29 bits , but I'm struggling a little with the left hand area and some of the detail there. Any ideas are welcome

Last edited:
Steve Howarth often mentions using japanese robot or toy parts as well as kits. You may need to cast your net a little wider! ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back