Red 4 X-Wing (Bandai 1:72) w/ build video

StevenBills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I was in a creative rut the past few months, and just wanted to build a kit quickly. I had never done a Red 4 paint scheme, and so I went (loosely) in that direction with it. The yellow color is wrong. Came out more flesh-colored than yellow, but oh well. Went together easily. Only real add-on I did was 3D print an R4 droid.

Also made a build video of it, if you're into that:

And some of the final photos:

Xwing-220702-0001.jpg

Xwing-220702-0009.jpg

Xwing-220702-0017.jpg

Thanks for looking!

SB

Nice work as always and I loved the video, keep them coming! I learned a few new tricks for sure that I will apply to my next build. I really liked that Tamiya Smoke, need to pick up some of that. And as usual, your photography is top-notch! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice job.

I tried Tamiya Smoke once (on clear plastic window of car model) and had terrible results.
Not knocking the paint, I've seen others (including yourself) have excellent results.

For the record, I brushed it on...not airbrush.
It was applied to the two very small, round "windows" on AMT '89 Batmobile.

Edit: Great video, by the way. Just finished watching .

Last edited:
Very nice job.

I tried Tamiya Smoke once (on clear plastic window of car model) and had terrible results.
Not knocking the paint, I've seen others (including yourself) have excellent results.

For the record, I brushed it on...not airbrush.
It was applied to the two very small, round "windows" on AMT '89 Batmobile.

Edit: Great video, by the way. Just finished watching .

Ah yes. I have found that Tamiya paints don't like to be brushed. Maybe I'm just not using the right thinner, but through the airbrush they're a dream. Thanks for watching the video!

SB

Excellent work!

I think the yellow color looks great as is.

I think too often people go for a brighter lemon yellow and it looks odd

I think it looks best with a muted sandy/muddy yellow, almost ochre color

also amazed you had the patience to airbrush on those small black dashes. I just hand painted them, a bit sloppily

Excellent work!

I think the yellow color looks great as is.

I think too often people go for a brighter lemon yellow and it looks odd

I think it looks best with a muted sandy/muddy yellow, almost ochre color

also amazed you had the patience to airbrush on those small black dashes. I just hand painted them, a bit sloppily
I am still sticking by my guns and saying that it needs to be more yellow and less "flesh-tone". But I couldn't be bothered to re-mask everything :lol:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back